Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Overweight and pregnant..

(10 Posts)
Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 16:29:42

Hi anyone elses on here already got a bit more junk in the trunk and pregnant?? I'm over 13st and 5+5 with my 4th never been this big before so I'm kinda wondering what the midwives will say ??..don't know if there is already a thread like this so I apologize if so.blush

stridesy Sun 18-Sep-16 16:41:47

I have a bmi of 35 and was referred to a clinic for diet advice.They didnt seem overly bothered.my bmi is borderline referral.they recomended a high gi diet and exercise such as walking.they mentioned higher risks which certainly didnt apply to my first.i had the GT test but my mum is diabetic anyway.im meant to be seeing them again early november.All seems a bit pointless as i will be giving birth the end of the month.The midwives havnt bothered to check weight either.i wouldnt worry too much.Im now 30 weeks and havnt put on any weight yet..was told between 14-21lbs x

AppleJac Sun 18-Sep-16 16:43:30

I have a bmi of 32.

Was told on fri at ante natal that a bmi of over 35 is when they are more observant of you

Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 17:52:26

My BMI is around 34 so will I be needing any extra care do you think? This is my biggest ever even before kids x

Chocoholicmonster Sun 18-Sep-16 18:50:14

This is my first pregnancy & my BMI is 39. I'm now 34 weeks. I was really worried about how the midwife would be, how the people at the scans would be but everyone has been great. My BMI is obviously much higher than yours but the difference I've had to a "normal BMI" pregnant lady is I'm consultant led care. I had to take a higher dose of folic acid & I have to have growth scans. Nobody has lectured, commented or criticised. You'll be fine 😊

Izzy82 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:05:10

It depends on your consultant unfortunately. My consultant was horrible and patronising and went through every risk of being 'fat and pregnant'. I had to listen to a whole host of extreme circumstances such as your neck might be too fat to find a pulse! (I'm a size 18 ffs!)
I cried when I left
I hope your consultant is nicer than mine

Tfoot75 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:27:08

My bmi was 34 at first pregnancy and 31 at second. Neither time was it commented on or have any impact on my care, both were low risk births in a midwife led unit and I had no screening for gestational diabetes etc. I think it may be a different cut off in different areas though.

Womble75 Sun 18-Sep-16 23:50:28

Mine is high despite my loosing 3 stone before getting pregnant. Having hypothyroidism and being an old gimmer doesn't help lol. Midwife mentioned it - I said i know I'm fat I've always been fat but my last pregnancy was textbook and never had any issues. She Was amazed my bp was perfect and didn't mention it again. To be honest it was never an issue last time and I was never made to feel bad about it.
I've been big all my life and of course it gets brought up from time to time but I'm honest about it and never had any negativity. Consultant last time never said a word.

Womble75 Sun 18-Sep-16 23:52:44

The only negative was I wasn't allowed in the birthing centre and was consultant led but as it happens DD had to be evicted as I went 2 weeks over so would have been on the labour ward anyway! smile

Mummyandwife85 Mon 19-Sep-16 06:15:40

I had bad births previously and my last was a induction and a 26hr labor only to be rushed for an emergency c section cos he was so big his head would not fit into my pelvis properly... I'm worried cos I was very big with my last too (pregnancy wise) and I had two outta three big babies also .. I'm just fretting about stuff I can't control or predict I think 🙈lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now