Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So excited hubby has booked a early private scan...

(24 Posts)
Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:11:58

So I'm buzzing cos my hubby has booked us our very first private scan .. I will be 6+4 by time we go next week so I know it's incredibly early but I have huge anxiety around this pregnancy due to having a lot of right side pains etc I do have weight on anyways so I know it maybe pretty tricky to actually see anything but just to know it's all OK inside will definitely put my anxiety at rest for a bit... so my question is has anyone else had a scan at 6+weeks and did u see anything to actually reassure you?? Xxx

Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:13:16

Also like to add this is my 5th pregnancy but 4,th Budda and I have never had a private scan ever before xx

dontpokethebear Sun 18-Sep-16 13:16:33

You will more than likely need to have an internal scan. Something to look forward to!

Womble75 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:16:43

I had an early NHS scan at 7 weeks due to previous mc's. Was all very quick and just to check measurements and heartbeat. That early they are done internally - not sure about private ones. It reassured me a bit I guess.

Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:19:54

Yes I'm nervous about if it's internally or not gotta admit blush lol 🙈

Oysterbabe Sun 18-Sep-16 13:30:31

It will almost certainly be internal I'd say.

Sameoldiggi Sun 18-Sep-16 13:34:01

At 6 weeks you might see a heartbeat, that's what you're looking for really. But it could just be a bit early to see that, so they'd be looking for a good shape of sac and a foetal pole. You can't see a "baby" shape at this stage.

smellsofelderberries Sun 18-Sep-16 13:39:17

It will definitely be internal. Hopefully baby will be developed enough to see a heartbeat! I had an early scan at 6+1 and we couldn't see much (sac and embryo measuring 1.7mm shock, no HB) but went back at 7+1 and was measuring perfectly for dates with a strong HB smile

milkyface Sun 18-Sep-16 13:40:40

I'm not sure whether private clinics do internals - if they don't you probably won't see anything.

I had an internal at 6 weeks (minor bleeding) and it was just a blob with a heartbeat but was definitely reassuring!

AppleJac Sun 18-Sep-16 13:46:03

I had an early scan on Friday. My dates were 8 weeks + 1 day but the sonographer said an estimate of around 7 weeks.

I didnt need an internal and she could see everything clearly from a normal scan

Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:48:36

Thank you ladies xx I have not asked them what type of scan it will be but she did say the do scans from 6weeks so I'm guessing they will use an internal scanner for it xx

jellycat1 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:54:22

It may not be internal. I had scans at the fetal medicine centre at between 6 and 7 weeks weeks with two pregnancies and saw a heartbeat with both. It's not definite that you'd see one at that stage though. If you're not going to have many (I had loads - far too many!) then I'd probably what til 7wks+ to give it the best chance of a heartbeat being present.

jellycat1 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:55:59

Neither internal.

PotteringAlong Sun 18-Sep-16 13:56:57

It might be too early to see a heartbeat so might not be that reassuring - could you rebook for a week later?

Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:08:31

Tbh I'm more anxious because been having a lot of bad side pains etc so I just want to see it's all in the right place👶👍

headinhands Sun 18-Sep-16 14:28:19

I had a normal non-vaginal scan at 6+1 and saw heart beating.

everdene Sun 18-Sep-16 14:29:04

I also had a non-vaginal scan at 6 weeks and saw a heartbeat. Hope all is well OP!

FenellaMaxwell Sun 18-Sep-16 14:36:09

You might see the heartbeat but it's more likely you won't before 7 weeks - will that reassure or worry you more? Is waiting a week to make it more likely an option?

Mummyandwife85 Sun 18-Sep-16 15:59:29

Thank you all for ur replies it's so reassuring to hear some positive stories on early scans xx I can't have one a week later as my hubby is not off on a weekday which is only days we can go get one cos of all kiddies being at school etc xx

LotisBlue Sun 18-Sep-16 19:15:30

I had an early scan in my first pregnancy due to bleeding at 6ish weeks. I was told that the embryo was measuring small and there was no heartbeat so I should come in a week later for another scan. I had a horrible week of waiting but when I went back it was all fine, the embryo had grown and there was a heartbeat, they just moved my dates back by a few days (which then got moved forwards again at my 12 week scan hmm).

Honestly, I wouldn't choose to have a reassurance scan that early because the chance that you won't see a heartbeat is quite high, and if you don't see one you will probably worry and want to go back for another one in a week or so.

I would wait till around 8 weeks, by which time you would definitely see a heartbeat (all being well), or wait till even later in the pregnancy and have one of the 4d scans when you get to see your baby properly.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 18-Sep-16 21:15:22

6/4 may be too early and they will ask you to come back a week later to see the heart if you don't this time

They did this with us. Was a private scan and 2nd was free

Will be internal. They prefer this up to 12w

Desmondo2016 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:16:55

If you've got right sides pains I would suggest you get referred for an NHS scan. I really think you would be better off trying to be patient until 8+ weeks. If your dates are a bit out (which they are likely to be) then you're paying a lot of money to see absolutely nothing.

2014newme Sun 18-Sep-16 21:18:57

I have had loads of internal scans (ivf) I hate them! The heart beating is just a tiny flashing light. There isn't much to see but it's reassuring. Takes 10 mins tops.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 18-Sep-16 21:32:01

Dildo cam 😂 Agree had so many for ivf

It's so lovely and reassuring to see the blinking of the heart

And a good private clinic if doesn't see one at 6w will say come in at 7w and will be free the 2nd scan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now