Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I need your best coping with SPD/PGP tips please...

(15 Posts)
AButterflyLightsBesideUs Sun 18-Sep-16 07:15:44

I'm almost 22 weeks and it's rapidly getting very painful, I am really stiff and jerky by the evenings - like it's all just seized up totally and am grabbing doors/furniture to get around. By afternoon everything hurts, - standing, sitting, stooping, bending, lifting. Turning from my back to my side in bed is bloody agony.

I'm seeing my consultant on Friday so will ask her for a physio referral, but whilst I am waiting for Friday and for that to actually then happen... what should I be doing to look after myself, and what should I be avoiding??

I had some pain in my past pregnancies but nothing like this and I didn't need to get advice/help.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 18-Sep-16 07:26:00

Pilates three times a week (adapted for pregnancy) and chiropracror monthly really helped. Also get a cleaner in until end of pregnancy. No lifting, no breast stroke vut swimming generally is nice.

Tangoandcreditcards Sun 18-Sep-16 07:29:02

YY to chiropractor. Tried one at about 20 weeks.

The other advice is a bit sad. Just don't walk if you don't have to. Use lifts/escalators instead of stairs and cut out unnecessary journeys on foot. I was quite fat by the end of my second pregnancy from the laziness but I didn't suffer as much as I did in my first when I carried on walking to work in spite of it.

PhilomenaFlump Sun 18-Sep-16 07:32:22

Prenatal yoga helped me tremendously in the second trimester, especially the downward dog position. My baby's head was trapping the sciatic nerve and it was excruciating. 5 minutes of mobility exercises 3 times a day made a huge difference.

fusspot66 Sun 18-Sep-16 07:40:34

Keep your knees together getting in and out of car. Sit on chair /bed to.put on socks and pants. Wear slippery silky/nylon pyjama bottoms to ease turning over in bed. Hold your tummy in when walking. Push for that physio referral. Try not to.push heavy supermarket trolleys.

ilikepinacoladas Sun 18-Sep-16 07:42:29

Go up and down stairs one step at a time very carefully, keeping your pelvis as level as possible. Apply this to everything you do, even walking (waddle if you have to). Take small steps. Do not lift anything, don't empty dishwashers. Don't push anything heavy like a Hoover or full supermarket trolley. Don't pick anything up from the floor. Lay on your side with a pillow between your knees and ankles, just knees is not enough (level pelvis again)
Don't hold your breath about the physio, I was given normal Pilates exercises to do and I had done Pilates for years and they did not go into enough detail or check you were doing it correctly. As pp said you would be best starting Pilates so you would have someone to check your exercises weekly.
The nhs physio might fit you for a belt but they didn't have one that helped me. I was also too far gone as the appointment took so long to come through. Take actions now to stop it getting worse.

Also I didn't see a chiropractor or osteopath as I didn't want to spend the money if it didn't work. I would never make that choice again, get professional help.

My only positives are they say pgp means your pelvis has softened and widened too much which could make the pushing stage quicker - seemed true for me.
Also as soon as the baby was out the pain vanished as I was in less pain in the days after birth than the days before, which was blissful! I felt like I could climb a mountain, which is not the usual feeling post birth!

Overall look after yourself and find a professional!

JC23 Sun 18-Sep-16 07:43:45

Be as lazy as you possibly can, avoid walking at all costs.
Keep your knees together and don't twist your body. Don't stand on one leg. Carry a rucksack, not a shoulder bag, and travel light.
Get a support band to wear around your hips at night and when walking.
It's grim and it sounds like you've got it bad and early on. I feel for you.

ilikepinacoladas Sun 18-Sep-16 07:43:59

Oh yes knees together! Most important one. Getting in and out of a car especially!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 18-Sep-16 07:45:07

Pilates and chiropractor meant that at 39 weeks I could walk 4 miles a day in 3rd pregnancy whereas on crutches in second one. It was still always on the edge but kept in control.

Top tip though, if you borrow a mobility scooter (e.g at Tescos, B and Q, shopping centres), don't let a toddler sit on your lap when near a wall of paint wink.

ilikepinacoladas Sun 18-Sep-16 07:45:46

And knees together when turning over in bed. Basically knees together at all times

JC23 Sun 18-Sep-16 07:46:36

Talk to your birth partner about what help you might need during the birth to support your legs

TwllBach Sun 18-Sep-16 07:50:42

Similar to above... Don't do anything. Honestly, do as little as you can. Some days I felt like I'd achieved something if I made it down the stairs to sit and watch tv sad

Get a new mattress. A shit mattress is only going to cause more pain.

Don't be proud. Take help where you can. We went to ikea and I refused to sit in the wheelchair dp offered to push me round in and I was in tears by the end.

Hold on to the fact that it's going to end soon. Mine disappeared within three days of having DS. Also had a fast labour, which the MW said could have been aided by SPD.

I feel for you OP, it was one of the more miserable times of my life but absolutely, totally worth it. Thousands of bunches of flowers for you

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Sun 18-Sep-16 08:14:22

Argh I had a worrying feeling you were all going to say to rest up! Arse. We have builders doing stuff externally which means loads of filth and it is really hard to look at gritty/dusty/sandy floors and not do something about it! And there is some decorating which I really want to do.

I think training my 5 year old to tidy up her toys better would be an immense help, (or getting a good litter picker!) as the stooping/picking up and kneeling on the floor to tidy at the end of the day is a killer.

Sounds like investing in a monster pregnancy pillow would be wise too.

Off to google yoga/pilates/chiropracters round here. Actually I had a thought - I'm sure once in the past my community midwife (going back a few years now) talked about being able to self refer to the local physios so I will give the GP surgery a call tomorrow and find out about that, it might be quicker.

Thank you all so much. I had such a miserable night and have been thinking wistfully of ibuprofen sad whilst feeling frightened about having another 4 months to go and wondering how good/bad or otherwise it will all be by then.

I hate being dependent and needy, and it is only a couple of months since my godawful sickness stopped - poor DH was run ragged doing everything whilst I lay in a fog of drowsy antiemetics unable to do anything. Poor bugger, he's going to love this!

I thought walking was supposed to help, that's a bummer too.

leopardchanges Sun 18-Sep-16 08:27:39

I went to an osteopath who in one session had me crying if I had to move, almost needing crutches or a stick to being fine. It took a couple of days (I didn't walk out "healed"!) and she told me that if it wasn't ok in a week to call her. I had no need for over a month and then it started coming back so I saw here again just before the due date.

SumAndSubstance Sun 18-Sep-16 09:14:26

Definitely osteopath - I struggled through on crutches from about 20 weeks, but the pain didn't go away completely after DS was born. I went to the osteopath when DS was about 6 months old - he said the problem was that my pelvis had moved when everything was soft and was in the wrong place when it tightened back up! He said that wouldn't have happened if I'd gone to him when I was pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now