Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Making friends during pregnancy

(11 Posts)
BellaSxx Sat 17-Sep-16 15:32:50

Firstly, hello! grin I've just joined today as I am 8 weeks pregnant and due 27 April 2017! Myself and DP couldn't be happier and this forum makes it all feel a bit more real! The main reason for my post is that I'm the first out of my friend group to become pregnant (I'm 23) and I'm feeling a little lonely. Though I have wonderful friends, I'm lacking any friends who are going through or have already been through the same experience. I'm also conscious that when baby arrives, I will have no other friends with children for play dates etc. Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and if so, can anyone suggest the best way to meet other mothers and those expecting? I'm totally new to all of this and wouldn't know where to start! Thanks flowers

LynseyH Sat 17-Sep-16 15:39:37

There will be groups in your area for 'mums and bumps' type classes and then mum and baby groups too.
Try a few if the first doesn't suit you as they are all very different.
I'm not a very outgoing person but did find them something I looked forward to once I'd got past my nerves! Babies are a great ice breaker x

malin100 Sat 17-Sep-16 17:02:17

Antenatal classes are good for making friends although they generally don't come until later. In the meantime, munsnet smile

Scotmum83 Sat 17-Sep-16 17:51:08

Your antenatal class will be a good way to meet people, there are nct ones you can pay for too if you can't get to your local health centres ones. If you. Are thinking of breastfeeding and/or babywearing (slings and baby carriers) there's probably a group you could go to to meet other mums our local groups welcome mum's to be too so you don't have to wait until the baby arrives. Once baby arrives you'll meet loads of new people through toddler and baby groups, we had a baby massage course at our local health centre too that was good. So don't worry if you don't know anyone yet you'll have plenty of opportunity when baby arrives. You could even ask your midwife to out you in touch with other mums at the same stage as you.

MaisyL68 Sat 17-Sep-16 17:54:17

Hey! I'm 7-8 weeks atm due on 1st may 2017, I'm struggling abit too as I don't have many friends with children lol!

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 17-Sep-16 17:54:36

Antenatal classes and antenatal yoga great way to meet other mums to be. If you want to do nct antenatal sign up early it gets booked up in some areas.You'll meet lots at baby classes and groups too so don't worry too much. Congratulations smile

Bluebird126 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:49:52

NCT is brilliant because you are put in a group with others due at the same time as you. We found it worth the money just for that. 3 of the 5 other couples live really close to us as well.

ConvincingLiar Sun 18-Sep-16 21:37:16

I didn't bother with pre-pregnancy stuff, I was too busy with work and my normal life/friends. I met mums at breastfeeding clinic and a baby group run by my health visitor and am still friends 2 years later. I also chatted to mums at baby swimming/massage but no long lasting friendships.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 18-Sep-16 21:39:32

Don't panic if you don't make pals until after the birth, my chums came from local baby sensory class and a baby fitness class (workouts for mums, not the baby wink)

Good luck and it's so exciting, enjoy it xx

user1474261395 Mon 19-Sep-16 06:32:53

There are many pregnancy-related forums like this. If you think making more friends, then you can join at there and share your experience.

charlybs Mon 19-Sep-16 20:34:33

Maybe try a pregnancy yoga or Pilates class? Or there's daisy birthing classes. Usually you can do these from around 12-14 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now