Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exercise - how much, and questions about food!

(2 Posts)
Janubub Sat 17-Sep-16 13:02:06

I'm just 23w, first baby. Prior to the pregnancy I exercised regularly - cardio - particularly running (usually 4-6 miles at a time). Commitment varied, but tried to get out at least 3 times per week - anything up to 6 times per week.

I still feel fit and am able to do 30 minutes of cardio at a slightly slower pace with relative ease. I don't feel dizzy, can string a sentence together throughout and have no joint/muscle pain. I find it helps me to drink a ton of water before, during and after - something I'm not very good otherwise.

I'm trying to do this 4-5 times per week but am listening to my body much more than I did before and if I'm tired I just don't do it. I'm also not running outside because I'm afraid of tripping myself over so am using lower-impact equipment.

Does this sound like too much? Not enough? Other than feeling exhausted, dizzy etc. is there anything I should be looking out for?

I'm also now starving hungry as soon as I've finished (couldn't face food for at least an hour afterward before). If I feel hungry, I eat - dried fruits, crackers, humous, fruit. Is it normal to immediately eat back all the energy burned at this stage? My weight gain has been as expected at this stage of pregnancy and baby seems fine (moves a lot after I exercise).

I'd just like to hear from others in the same situation or have exercised during pregnancy to make sure I'm keeping myself and the baby healthy.

Honeybee79 Sat 17-Sep-16 14:17:44

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I exercised throughout my pregnancy with DS. Am now 29 weeks with DC2 and do 4 dance classes a week (zumba and also contemporary dance) and I swim once a week. Midwife advised exercise in pregnancy is fine esp if, as in your case, your body is used to it.

Your exercise routine sounds fine to me. Am no expert but have simply been told by my midwife to listen to my body, stay well hydrated and beware of overheating (a prob in the summer months and earlier this week for me - am not great in the heat). Keep exercise at a level during which you can hold a conversation and don't exercise to the point of exhaustion.

Hope that helps!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now