Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had a 6 week scan for anxiety?

(25 Posts)
SumAndSubstance Fri 16-Sep-16 12:36:10

I'm nearly 5 weeks pregnant with my second child. DS is 4 and we've been trying for ages. I'm so anxious that I'm going to lose this one, even though I've no specific reason to believe that I will. I am considering having a private scan at 6 weeks in the hope of reassuring myself. I don't think I could bear to wait til 12 weeks. Has anybody else done this? Do you think I'm crazy? Would I be better to wait for 8 weeks? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Helbelle75 Fri 16-Sep-16 12:52:07

I've lasted until 10 weeks, and I'm going for a private scan tomorrow!
I had a mmc in May, and am quite scared that the same will happen again. I'm really nervous about tomorrow, but feel that I need to go to find out.

McBaby Fri 16-Sep-16 13:12:44

I had one with my first pregnancy at 6.5 weeks I found I helpful as I don't believe there was a baby, second pregnancy I had a early scan as I hadnt had a period which was at about 7.5 weeks again very reassuring. Last pregnancy I had a mmc at 10 weeks and wish I had had a scan earlier.

Pregnant again currently 6 weeks and wondering how many scans I need to keep me calm till my nhs one at 12+6!

Dixiechick17 Fri 16-Sep-16 13:22:10

I had one at eight weeks, private songrapher said 8 weeks is better, as can't always see heartbeat earlier than that

Fourormore Fri 16-Sep-16 13:24:18

I've had private scans at 8 weeks for my last two pregnancies. It meant we could reveal our news at Christmas rather than waiting til the end of January. The risk of miscarriage drops quite a lot at 8 weeks.

LynseyH Fri 16-Sep-16 13:26:50

I also waited until 8 weeks and baby almost looked like a baby! Much nicer and calming to see something 'proper'.
Before that it's more of a smudge (which is still reassuring but not as clear).

InTheDessert Fri 16-Sep-16 13:35:38

Wait til nearer 8 weeks if you possibly can. I needed early scans for medical reasons at 6 weeks with both of mine. In the case of DS1 at 6+3 (my dates) there was no heartbeat. I was told to come back 2 weeks later. Frankly I was just so relieved something was visible, the lack of development to a heartbeat was irrelevant, but if your already anxious it might be worth holding off as long as you can.
Congrats on your pregnancy.

Orangedaisy Fri 16-Sep-16 13:44:11

My GP referred me for an early scan as we'd been trying for over a year and were on the waiting list for the fertility clinic. He said it was a good idea as it would help me relax. No prior mental health issues or lost pregnancies etc, I think he was just nice. Ended up appointment got lost and early scan wasn't til over 10 weeks but it was great to have it a bit early. Might be worth asking....

SumAndSubstance Fri 16-Sep-16 16:04:04

Thank you so much all of you. I'm glad you don't think I am crazy! I will look into booking one for 8 weeks. I think I can last that long... smile

ConvincingLiar Fri 16-Sep-16 19:10:06

I agree that 6 weeks is too early. At least if you wait until 7/8 you've a better chance of seeing a heart beat

FenellaMaxwell Fri 16-Sep-16 19:16:17

We had one at 8 weeks - as PPs have said you run the risk of making yourself more anxious at 6 weeks as there probably won't be a heartbeat.

FlatWhiteToGo Fri 16-Sep-16 20:07:30

I don't think you're crazy at all.
We had two before our 12 week scan (which was actually at 13 weeks 5 days to keep us anxious!!!) as we were just so worried about something going wrong. If you can hold on a little longer until at least 7 weeks then I'd recommend that, just because earlier on things may be fine but not quite developed enough to see on a scan and it will really freak you out! Good luck!x

SleepFreeZone Fri 16-Sep-16 20:09:47

I wish reassurance scans were 100% reassuring but sadly we had one that looked great at 8 weeks yet died at 11.5 weeks. We subsequently found out the baby had Downs (3rd MC so they investigated). So I probably wouldn't pay for another one, I would just wait until 12 weeks and pray for the best.

ktkaye Fri 16-Sep-16 20:26:23

I had one at 8 weeks following a MMC a few months before. My EPU scanned me because I was so anxious, they were really kind. Same as you, I was convinced the same would happen again so the joy and relief of seeing that tiny heart beat was like nothing else. It's well worth it so you can relax, even a tiny bit. Like previous posters have said its better to wait until at least 8 weeks as before then there is really very little to see. And yes, obviously things can still go wrong - but that is the case whether you have that initial reassurance or not. It's whatever gets you through each day in the early stages. A word of warning though - the anxiety never really fully goes. In my case even now I'm 31 weeks and can feel my baby move Part of me still holds back and can't quite believe I'll get my baby at the end. Take things one appointment, one scan, one milestone at a time. Good luck!

MaisyL68 Fri 16-Sep-16 21:52:38

I booked a private one at 6weeks, me and my partner have been trying for a while, and I was extra worried due to pcos, plus my doctor told me it could be a eptopic pregnancy due to discomfort in my right side! The nhs wouldn't give me one for another 3 days, so I booked a private one, everything was perfect! Couldn't see much at all but it had a heart beat! I do wish I had waited till 8weeks tho! As I'm 7-8 weeks now and want another one just to be sure everything's still okay, try wait aslong as you can otherwise you'll just want another a few weeks later if your anything like me lol!, good luck hope everything goes well! Xx

Mummyandwife85 Sat 17-Sep-16 10:21:12

I'm n my 5th pregnancy but 4th baby and currently 5+4wks and I didn't get where ur coming from wanting an early scan I'm showing already like I'm 4months and in loads of different pains we gotta wait another 2+ weeks just for booking appointment and gotta wait till probably 12+weeks for first scan and convinced something will go wrong or that something is not right I'm desperate for a early scan just for peace of mind tbh but I doubt I will get one thru midwives as they normal don't xx

Mummyandwife85 Sat 17-Sep-16 10:45:01

Sorry meant to put I definitely get where ur coming from confused

Superstar90 Sat 17-Sep-16 14:53:15

We paid for one at 8 weeks after a few early miscarriages and found it really reassuring. If a heartbeat seen at 8 weeks chances are really good - if 6 weeks then there's still a bit of uncertainty whether things can go wrong over next few weeks so not as conclusive.

Before 8 weeks I used my pregnancy symptoms (awful sickness, full boobs ) and the clear-blue tests that tell you how far along you are as s guide (tho they only go up to 5 weeks). I actually also had a blood test at the gp which looked at hcg level which was also useful (seem to remember u need two to show hcg going up).

Ultimately there's nothing you can do if you are going to miscarry anyway but I got reAssursnce from knowing what was going on. I hated the uncertainty of my previous miscarriages.

Hope your pregnancy goes well!

BeardMinge Sat 17-Sep-16 15:09:10

I had one at 7+4 after previously having a mmc and being quite anxious for reassurance.

We saw a flickering hb, which was great but it really only reassured me for about half an hour and then the anxiety resumed until the scan at 12+6.

Helbelle75 Sat 17-Sep-16 22:39:01

Had my 10 week private scan today and saw a heartbeat and a very wiggly baby. Well worth it. Last time, there was no heartbeat at this stage, so felt reassured that we're further on than last time .

Superstar90 Sun 18-Sep-16 03:17:43

Congratulations helbelle! Must be such a relief after a Mmc x

ConvincingLiar Sun 18-Sep-16 04:46:19

lilydaisyrose Sun 18-Sep-16 06:09:01

Congratulations Helbelle75, think we were on a previous antenatal thread together - just popping on to say I'm really pleased for you!

Helbelle75 Sun 18-Sep-16 06:13:02

Thanks lily, that's lovely.

SumAndSubstance Sun 18-Sep-16 09:42:57

Congratulations, Helbelle! That's great news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now