Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Group B Strep

(5 Posts)
SprogletsMum Thu 15-Sep-16 18:30:32

Hi I'm around 8/9 weeks and have had an appointment with a consultant today because my booking in urine sample showed I had group b strep.
I have fairly quick labours, the last was breech and was only 3 hours from start to finish so not sure if they'll have time to give me enough antibiotics. I'm worrying now too that they'll want to strap me down on monitors for my whole labour which I really, really don't want.
I've had a read around and it seems that I could pay for a test at 35-37 weeks to see if I still have it then. Has anyone had one of these tests and did the hospital pay any attention to those results?
Obviously I want baby to be OK but don't want to needlessly have a harder labour.
I don't know anyone who has had this, I didn't even know they would be testing for it.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 15-Sep-16 19:32:28

I had group B strep and they were going to retest me with a swab at around 34 weeks I think. As it turned out I required a c section for an unrelated reason so the antibiotics never came into it - as it doesn't get transmitted very often that way.
I was told it comes and goes so I think if they test you later on that'd be best.

SprogletsMum Thu 15-Sep-16 19:40:15

They're definitely not planning on retesting me, they've said iv antibiotics, no midwife birth centre, case closed.

Mummyme87 Thu 15-Sep-16 21:51:14

Most NHS hospitals will not retest for GBs but you could do it privately. It does mean that you would be advised to have IV antibiotics every 4hrs until baby is born. This does not make you high risk in anyway, you should not require continuous fetal monitoring and should be able to use your birth centre

SprogletsMum Thu 15-Sep-16 22:20:53

Birth centre won't take anyone who isn't totally risk free, they won't administer antibiotics. I'm glad to hear that I shouldn't need foetal monitoring that's the main bit that's worrying me really I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now