Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scanner said 'his'....

(23 Posts)
cloudlessskies Tue 13-Sep-16 14:09:19

Hi all. So at my 12 week scan the lady doing it referred to it/him/her like this 'there's his little heart' and 'just measuring him now'. When my partner picked her up on it a few mins later and asked if she could tell. She point blank denied that she had said 'his'.

What do you think? Could she tell (nub/skull theory) or was it just a slip of the tongue?

Oysterbabe Tue 13-Sep-16 14:10:45

Slip of the tongue. 12 weeks is too early.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Tue 13-Sep-16 14:13:24

Prossibly because some people get offended when they say "its". I honestly wouldn't read anything into it

LynseyH Tue 13-Sep-16 14:13:34

I would say it's more of a natural response, much nicer than 'it' isn't it!

Sexing scans aren't done until 16 weeks and after due to the fact of things changing etc so I wouldn't read too much into it. Nub theory tend to apply nearer wk 13 I believe and most ignore the skull theory.
If a nub is visible on your picture, try showing the experts on Strictly Nub Theory on Facebook. They are very good!

cloudlessskies Tue 13-Sep-16 14:16:48

Okay thank you. I won't think anything of it then. Yes, perhaps she was just making it more personal/nicer to hear.

Dixiechick17 Tue 13-Sep-16 14:24:17

My consultant always referred to scans as he and his, even thought we knew it was a girl, think some of them just do out of habit

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 13-Sep-16 14:26:10

We had this at 20 weeks scan when we asked to NOT be told... He as a boy! But I think at 12 weeks unlikely to be because she saw anything.

regularbutpanickingabit Tue 13-Sep-16 14:30:43

Yep, they all plump for either his or hers and stick with it for every scan. Just makes it nicer than saying 'it' was how it was explained to me!

Klchi Tue 13-Sep-16 14:31:43

Too early to tell, although the woman doing my scans always said baby!

PotteringAlong Tue 13-Sep-16 14:33:16

My closest hospital has a policy of saying "her" and "she" regardless.

TerriB84 Tue 13-Sep-16 14:33:59

As others have said they often do this to avoid using 'it'. We also didn't want to find out but fortunately the sonographer made a point of saying at the very start that she always refers to the baby as 'he/him' and that it does not mean anything.

PotteringAlong Tue 13-Sep-16 14:34:10

bendydick I wouldn't take that to mean anything - they might have just not wanted to say it.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 13-Sep-16 14:36:26

Pottering he's 15 months and definitely a boy grin she started saying 'his' etc after checking the genitals and then said its because she was Italian and they don't say 'it' for a baby grin bless her. I didn't really mind, luckily!

MinisWin Tue 13-Sep-16 14:36:32

I have worked in a maternity setting and it's really hard to say 'it' sometimes, so people tend to have a gender that they revert to when referring to the baby when speaking to a patient! Granted I would usually try to say that I would use 'he' or 'she' but that it wasn't because I knew. I'm sure that it will just have been something along the same lines.

Becciilouisex3 Tue 13-Sep-16 16:28:44

I wouldn't worry too much about that. We actually wanted to find out the gender at our scan but before she told us definitively, she slipped up and said "her arm".

Then she told us we were having a boy and showed us his little willy haha! I think they just get into habit and pick one rather than using "it's" sometimes smile

Blue2014 Tue 13-Sep-16 16:35:20

Common for staff to say him or his. Apparently it's an easy way of differentiating between mum (female) and other

Honeybee79 Tue 13-Sep-16 17:22:42

Don't read anything into it. I had a growth scan today and the doc kept saying "him". We know we're having a girl and I was worried that we were wrong about that so I asked the doc why he kept saying "him" - he said they just use it generally as it's better than "it", though increasingly they try to just use "baby".

cloudlessskies Sun 13-Nov-16 18:32:42

Update - we are having a little boy! But I'm sure that is just coincidence and at the 12 weeks the person doing the scan saw nothing.

SpotTheDuck Sun 13-Nov-16 18:41:09

Congratulations! Boys are lovely smile

whyistherumgone Sun 13-Nov-16 18:41:54

Aw congrats cloud smile

katiegg Sun 13-Nov-16 18:52:59

Ah congrats! I have a boy and another boy on the way - couldn't be more delighted!

In relation to your original post, obstetric colleagues have told me that they always refer to the baby as 'he' as it's an easy way to differentiate between the baby and 'she' the female patient. And as others have pointed out, he or she is much nicer than it.

Congrats again!

PeachBellini123 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:12:25

Congrats. I think 'he' is the default pronoun they use - rightly or wrongly.

cantmakeme Mon 14-Nov-16 00:23:57

Congrats!
I had someone do this during a scan at 27 weeks. When we asked her why she was saying "he" she apologised and said just because she has three boys herself. I was highly suspicious, but I had a girl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now