Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To eat or not to eat help please

(11 Posts)
user1471433387 Tue 13-Sep-16 13:42:21

I am struggling with what foods we can and cannot eat when pregnant. Would you eat mozzarella, if it was from unpasteurised milk, but had been heated i.e. on a pizza?

I am going to Italy next week and I really have no idea what I can eat.

Thanks for any help!

Oysterbabe Tue 13-Sep-16 14:00:26

Pretty sure all cooked cheese is fine.

sparechange Tue 13-Sep-16 14:07:41

Buy a copy of 'Expecting Better'
It gives you the facts behind a lot of the advice and guidelines, so you can be informed in the choices you make, especially when abroad

Barefootcontessa84 Tue 13-Sep-16 18:24:25

Get the Ovia pregnancy app - it has a function where you can just type in a food and it tells you. In general most things are totally fine.

Barefootcontessa84 Tue 13-Sep-16 18:24:45

(Including cooked mozzarella on a pizza)

dementedpixie Tue 13-Sep-16 18:28:50

You can eat any of the 'banned' cheeses by cooking them. Have you looked at the nhs site for info on foods that aren't recommended?

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

MalbecAndLindt Tue 13-Sep-16 18:36:07

I thought mozzarella was safe!? I've been eating it and I'm 17 weeks tomorrow. ..

dementedpixie Tue 13-Sep-16 18:39:18

OP said it would be unpasteurised which is why it should be cooked first. Hard unpasteurised cheeses are ok but soft ones should be cooked first

Flisspaps Tue 13-Sep-16 18:41:25

I ate everything except Mr Whippy ice cream

jwww Tue 13-Sep-16 19:02:31

I'm eating soft cheese if it's cooked be careful in Italy with cured meats as they're usually put on pizzas uncooked (after the pizza itself has been cooked)

dementedpixie Tue 13-Sep-16 19:03:09

NHS doesn't say to avoid Mr whippy. McFlurries are OK in pregnancy anyway although would maybe avoid one from the ice cream van

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now