Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weak cervix

(4 Posts)
Ticketsplease Tue 13-Sep-16 08:47:22

Hi everyone.
This may sound like a paranoid rant but bear with me.
3 times I've called my midwife about bleeding in this pregnancy (I'm 11+4) one at 4weeks, 6weeks and 10weeks. All times I get "nothing we can do for you till your 14 weeks"
I have bled pretty much through the this pregnancy worse when I'm stressed (stressy job) or go for a poo, sorry tmi.
Anyway how do I phone them band suggest I think I have a weak cervix without sounding like I'm mental? I have the symptoms. I feel I'm being palmed off when I do call them (this is baby no 3 and didn't have any issues like this last times)
Thanks for listening to my wee rant.

divadee Wed 14-Sep-16 08:10:57

Honestly what you are describing is not a 'weak cervix' or incompetent cervix as it can be known.

It could be you have a soft cervix that is bleeding from sex etc.... Or you could have an erosion on your cervix (like a graze on the cervix).

Do you have any other symptoms or risk factors that make you think you have a weak cervix? Have you had a late miscarriage or very premature birth? Have you had any surgery on your cervix like a cone biopsy or LLETZ?

Barefootcontessa84 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:37:43

Have you been scanned to check for a clot? How heavy were your bleeds? Have you contacted your EPU?

minipie Wed 14-Sep-16 12:48:44

I would agree that what you are describing sounds more like a cervical erosion (doesn't actually mean an eroded cervix, more like a sensitive bit on your cervix that bleeds easily). It's pretty common, I had it and had on and off bleeding like you describe - including when pooing. It stopped after 17 weeks iirc.

I had a couple of early scans due to the bleeding. Do you have a walk in Early Pregnancy Unit near you? If so I would suggest go there and ask for a scan. Then when you have your 12 and 20 week scans, ask them to look at cervical length (they generally do anyway) to put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now