Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nearly fainted at pregnancy yoga - anyone experienced this?

(6 Posts)
KarenLF Fri 09-Sep-16 12:53:39

I'm 18 weeks pregnant today and on Wednesday I went to my first pregnancy yoga class - I was really excited for it and couldn't wait to get in there. We were mostly sitting on the floor practicing breathing etc and then stood so she could show us how to stand properly and hold yourself - we can't of been standing for more than 3 minutes and I just got really light headed and had dots in front of my eyes and really hot so I had to sit down.
I had supper to eat before I left and plenty of water so it wasn't that. Just wondered if anyone else had the same happen or any yoga experts could put my mind at ease if it's normal?/happens to alot of people as I do want to go back but am a bit scared that it'll happen again and don't want to faint and harm the baby sad

spacepoodle Fri 09-Sep-16 13:22:44

This started happening to me at around 20 weeks. I would suddenly get very hot, sweaty, dizzy and my vision would get spots then turn white. The first time it happened I thought I had overexerted myself but gradually it would happen just when sitting down. I had a blood test and had low ferritin levels. Since being on iron tablets I do still get the odd wobble but my symptoms have improved a lot.

Visual disturbances can also be a sign of pre-eclampsia so please do get yourself checked out!

Nikki2ol6 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:39:57

It happened to me a few weeks back when I was doing my daughters hair, I was just standing there brushing it and felt fine then decided I'd do a plait. Half way down the plait I felt a faint coming on, the rest of her plait was a mess lol and I just sat down as soon as I could!!! I have never fainted but felt close a few times but for some reason I haven't actaually fainted. Sometimes when we are standing the blood can pool to our feet.... Causing a faint. I was about 17 weeks at the time and it hasn't happened since and now her plaits are always nice until the bottom lol

Honeybee79 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:43:13

Did you stand up very quickly? This often happens to be if I get up from the floor really fast. Or was it a very hot day?

If you're worried then speak to gp/midwife.

sycamore54321 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:43:54

Definitely see a medical person before going back. From what you have said it sounds unlikely to be directly related to the yoga and may just have been one of those coincidences. But your medical team needs to know about this spell and will decide whether to investigate. It definitely is not an entirely normal consequence of either pregnancy or yoga. I don't mean to worry you as chances are that it is just something small but you need a medical appointment to tell you that

KarenLF Fri 09-Sep-16 15:33:10

Thanks all for the advice. Honeybee - nope we got to our feet quite slowly and it was a crappy Scottish evening! Maybe it was just a coincidence that I just happened to be at yoga at the time. I'll definitley menion it to my midwife as I have an appointment soon. Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now