Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

curious as to what happens at first drs/midwife appointments, stories please:)

(15 Posts)
user1473072700 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:33:49

Hi Guys,

So a few days ago I got my BFP yay! I have booked a drs appointment for next week. I am just wondering what happens at this appointment and how soon after this you have your first midwife appointment and what exactly happens there? I am going on holiday for 3 weeks on halloween, by my calculations I will be 10-11 weeks by then, so you think they would agree to scan me before that?! Any stories would be greatly appreciated I am SO excited :D

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 06-Sep-16 20:38:27

Honestly? You'll be underwhelmed by their response!

You don't actually need to see a doctor at all in a lot of areas, you book a midwife appt for about 8 weeks at your gp's. The midwife books you in and arranges a scan for about 12 weeks.
Make sure you're taking folic acid and congratulations!

soundsystem Tue 06-Sep-16 20:41:49

Congratulations!

So to be honest the first appointment is underwhelming. The GP will ask if you're taking vitamin D and folic acid. He/she will possibly ask if you smoke and drink. Might weigh you and measure your height. That's about it!

You'll get your booking in appointment which is much more in depth with the midwife, and usually happens between 8 and 12 weeks.

FenellaMaxwell Tue 06-Sep-16 20:43:25

It's very, very underwhelming! The first 'proper' midwife appointment is the 16 week one, really.

Becciilouisex3 Tue 06-Sep-16 23:01:38

Mine was just a lot of health questions about myself and family to be honest. They use it to initially categorise your pregnancy as high or low risk but this can change during pregnancy depending on circumstances and needs of course!

You'll also get a rough due date based on the first day of your last period and booked in for a 12 week scan. They'll probably book you in after your holiday rather than before purely for the NT blood tests which tell you whether your baby is at high or low risk for downs etc and they'll want to ensure baby is in the right area of gestation for them to be able to do that. Then you'll get to see baby and have a formal due date although of course that also is still an estimate as baby will come when baby is ready!

Good luck flowers

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 06-Sep-16 23:17:52

The GP confirmed my pregnancy, asked if I was happy about it, then gave some advice about folic acid, not drinking etc, and gave me a form to give to the receptionist for the referral to the midwife.
My GP practice doesn't allow self-referral to the midwives - have to get the pregnancy confirmed by a doctor/nurse first - but I gather other areas do allow self-referrals.

The booking in appointment with the midwife was around 8 weeks, and was a lot more in-depth. The GP receptionist gave me a blank copy of the personal maternity notes with instructions to fill in as much as possible before the booking in appointment, and the midwife went through that, so lots of detail about my and DH's medical history, plus taking blood, measuring BMI, blood pressure, urine test. You get an estimated due date based on date of last period. Then midwife makes appointments for 12 week scan, consultant appointment if you're classed as high risk, next midwife appointment.

Kariana Wed 07-Sep-16 08:29:57

They are unlikely to scan at ten weeks, you'll just have to wait longer. I went on holiday at about the same point and it threw off all my appointment dates as here you are supposed to have one at 10 weeks where they book the 12 week scan. With you going away for so long they will have to calculate very carefully whether you will still be in the timeframe for the Downs/Edwards Syndrome screening as I think the cut off is 13+6, and they can do it much before 12 weeks - that is if you want the screening.

To be honest early appointments are quite boring, the first scan is the interesting bit.

Titchypanda Wed 07-Sep-16 09:12:11

First midwife appointment for me was at 10w. It was mostly paperwork and pretty boring. I think my scan ended up being at 13w. My 16w midwife appointment lasted about 15 minutes as she was running really late. She was brisk, not very helpful and moaning about there being too many patients for her to see. She is the head of community midwife team too! Not a good impression. I've had to see a different midwife each time.

Thankfully the hospital ante natal team are amazing. But there is no communication between them and community team so you really have to be on the ball and able to fill them in fast.

My friend is a week behind me in pregnancy and under next district for her care and has had nothing but positive experiences and great care. So it differs a lot between areas. Good luck!

EreniTheFrog Wed 07-Sep-16 11:09:03

As others have said, so much depends on local systems and protocols. But regardless of procedures and details - midwives/doctors should always be able to answer any questions or concerns you have. Don't ever be afraid to ask the questions you need to.

WhateverWillBe Fri 09-Sep-16 20:18:26

I told the GP i'd done a positive pregnancy test.

He smiled and said 'Congratulations'. Then gave me a sheet with the number for the local midwife and wished me well.

Very. very underwhelming!

Lules Fri 09-Sep-16 20:22:42

My area seems to be a bit different. I actually had 3 early scans because of bleeding. My first routine appointment was at 12 weeks, (it was called a one stop shop) when they did everything - booking in appointment, scan, blood and urine tests.

PotteringAlong Fri 09-Sep-16 20:23:43

Nothing at dr's appointment. Midwife won't u

PotteringAlong Fri 09-Sep-16 20:24:23

Usually see you before 10 weeks because of miscarriage risk. Very anticlimactic!

daimbar Fri 09-Sep-16 20:38:13

Congratulations!

You can pay for a private scan from 7 weeks if you can't wait 12 weeks. Usually a heartbeat can be detected then.

I enjoyed the booking apt with midwife at 9 weeks, but probably more because she was really hilarious. I can see how it could be underwhelming of you had a boring midwife.

Bella1985 Fri 09-Sep-16 22:47:22

Congratulations!

Agree with the others, quite underwhelming really. I went along to the Dr with my DH and when I told her I had a BFP she just congratulated us, took my blood pressure and told me to make an appointment with the midwife via reception.

So, a week later I'm seeing the midwife alone as DH couldn't get time off and I'm really excited/nervous and it lasts about 12 mins! She weighed me, told me to eat healthily, filled out an a4 sheet with info she could have filled herself had she just logged on to the surgery system and looked at my notes (name, DOB, address, smoker info etc!) and gave me an estimated due date (which I'd already done online thanks to the nhs website!) and told me my local mw would call to book the 'booking in' appointment a little closer to 10 weeks.

That one lasted about 45 mins and had more detailed info about family history and choices we'd have regarding screening and birth options etc so after that meeting, it felt a bit more real! And got a date for our 12 week scan a few days later in the post.

It seems every area is different do don't panic if things are done differently. I'll know next time that I can refer to mw straight away at my practice, but as first timers, we had no idea what to do so doctors was the most obvious option!

Good luck with the pregnancy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now