Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Twin pregnancy

(5 Posts)
Levi1988 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:03:18

Hi there,
I'm 31 weeks pregnant with two boys.
Both babies have been cephalic (head down) since 20 weeks. However, on my 31w scan j was told twin2 is breech.
I've opted for a natural delivery. They've advised me that once I've delivered twin 1 they will try to move twin 2 to head down position.
My worst fear is delivering T1 naturally and needing a section for T2.
I am now doubting my birth decision and contemplating going ahead with an elective section.
Any advice/experience would be great.
X

April241 Mon 05-Sep-16 07:04:15

Hi Levi, I'm currently 32+3 with twins also, first pregnancy so no birthing advice, however, my consultant has told me the babies can still change position up until they're born which I was surprised at, I thought they'd run out of room sooner! I haven't decided if I'll be having a natural or elective section yet, I have the same fears although like you I've been told it doesn't matter if twin 2 is breech as they'll deliver them anyway, the chances of having one natural and one section are apparently about 5%.

Mine were head down at 20 weeks and the right one has stayed that way, at 26 weeks left was transverse, 28 they were breech, 30 head down and 32 head down so they're definitely a little wriggler!

Do you have another midwife appt soon? You could discuss your worries with her and if you feel more comfortable with an elective section put in a request for one.

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Mon 05-Sep-16 08:13:59

They have plenty of time to move about. Even if both head down at time of birth and twin one delivered vaginally, I was told there is a risk twin two would need to be delivered by c section. For this reason I was adviced to have an epidural. Also because manipulating twin two is apparently excruciating. Both mine were head down and delivered vaganally but I remember the midwife sort of clamping my tummy in her arms to keep twin two in place. I guess if not head down to start with they can manipulate into correct position too with all that extra room. Probably worth a shot if you would rather avoid a c section and doctors happy with it.

neversleepagain Mon 05-Sep-16 11:09:35

If you are wanting a vagunal birth then don't worry about the position of twin 2. As long as the presenting twins is head down it will be possible. They will turn twin 2 internally if she moves into the wrong position.

Good luck.

neversleepagain Mon 05-Sep-16 11:11:10

To add , my twins remained in the same position from 28 weeks until i delivered them by emcs at 34 weeks. Both were transverse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now