Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dating scan - querying due date

(8 Posts)
Heidipiedy Sat 03-Sep-16 08:09:47

Hi everyone!
This will probably seem like a complete crazy pregnant lady question, but bear with me as I have my reasons!!

I had my dating scan on Thursday, firstly and most importantly we seem to have a very happy healthy little baby in there. I had my dates from my LMP as 13 wks exactly on Thursday, but the sonographer dated it at 13 +4. I know that dates can change depending on ovulation, I have a pretty standard cycle ovulating around day 14 and had monitored with opks.

Now the thing is we only did the deed once that cycle, I was pretty surprised it happened actually. This would have been a day and a bit before I was due to ovulate. The current 13 +4 would mean we conceived 2 - 4 days prior to the deed, which is pretty impossible. I think if i ovulated early I am more likely to have been 13 +1 or 13 +2 at the latest.

Before you start thinking I have gone bonkers and this is just days, these days are sooooo important. My DS1 was 11 overdue and an undiagnosed breech resulting in emergency section. I desperately want to go for a VBAC this time around as I had such a bad experience with the section, infections and back and forth from hospital and wiped out for about 3 months.

I know successful VBACs are those that labour naturally, and I am expecting as I was so late previously the likelihood is I will go over this time, hence why an extra 2 -4 days could possibly be the difference for me to go into labour naturally. Should I talk to my consultant about the dates? Do you think they would listen? I'm quite happy to think if fertilisation was instant I am currently 13 + 4, but definitely can't be 13 + 6 today......perhaps I am going crazy lol

DoubleCarrick Sat 03-Sep-16 08:11:39

The baby they are measuring is mm in size. A week or so either side isn't going to be an issue

Sootica Sat 03-Sep-16 08:12:25

A sonographer told me scan dates have a +\- 7 day margin of error when done at 12 weeks. Go with your dates and you don't have to go by the hospital's "give birth by this date or we'll section you". I went to 18 days over by hospital dates (14 by mine) for a VBAC although I am a stubborn mare at the best of times and resisted a LOT of pressure

Number4OnTheWay Sat 03-Sep-16 08:17:38

I had a similar thing happen to me, except I was convinced I was around 2 weeks further than they were saying (I knew I was by dtd dates, ovulation kits and a previous scan they had to do, but then had no record of)
I tried to raise it but everyone told me I was wrong. When did was born she was obviously more cooked than they thought she was. Her placenta was dying and her hands and feet were all dry.
In my expiearience there's not much you can do about it. They have a date based on a scan and refuse to budge no matter what you say.

Heidipiedy Sat 03-Sep-16 08:30:26

Haha thanks, I know the baby is tiny. I just want to avoid being induced. Hopefully if this baby is right way up...or down than it will stimulate labour better anyway!!

Sootica - I will bear that in mind, I didn't realise you had much say I thought they book you in on a date and that's that. I haven't spoke to my consultant yet, a week Monday. Apparently she's nice so let's hope!!

Thanks you all smile

KayTee87 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:42:05

Just say no to an induction if you don't want one. The scan dates are never going to 100% accurate.

Whatsername17 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:52:50

I think you are forgetting to allow for implantation. After ovulation and then fertilisation, it can take between 5-9 days to implant in your womb. I know when I ovulated too and my dates were moved forward by a week. Basically, baby must have implanted very quickly for me. I would guess that is your discrepancy.

Dixiechick17 Sat 03-Sep-16 11:48:59

I was the same, I went for the scan and they dated me as having conceived three days before we did the deed, my early scan dated it two days after, she actually arrived on the first approx due date that I was given smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now