Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My bump is measuring small and my baby is measuring big!

(6 Posts)
Mummytobenov Sat 03-Sep-16 08:07:24

Hi guys I'm very new to this so please bear with me. I'm a little concerned and feel in the dark so I'm hoping for some advice. I went to my midwife on Wednesday for my 31 week check (bearing in mind I've seen a different midwife at every check) and she was concerned that my bump is measuring below the lowest percentile about 28 weeks when I have been measuring average all the way through so she sent me for a growth scan. I attended my growth scan on Thursday when my little boy is measuring over the 90th percentile where they think I'm more like 33 weeks pregnant now. The sonographer said they won't let me go full term if he continues to grow this way and I have a scan in two weeks. I got sent to antenatal day unit who have referred me for a diabetes test. I'm only 5ft2 anyway so now I'm concerned my baby is going to be massive. My partner is only about 6ft or just under so isn't massive we both weighed about 6and half Ibs when born. The size really isn't an issue I was hoping for a natural birth and a water birth so I'm concerned that I'm going to be induced or have to have a csecetion anybody able to shed light?

Thankyou and sorry for the large paragraph

5madthings Sat 03-Sep-16 08:12:01

I had a small bump but big babies.

They ruled out gestational diabetes. And it's not recommended to.induce just because they think the baby may be big. The scans are notoriously inaccurate anyway, often by up to s pound in weight and the later in pregnancy the more inaccurate the predictions.

I am also 5 2 and husband 6ft. My biggest baby was 10lb 13oz, he was my easiest birth an hour in birth pool. Your height won't make difference to birth.

Mummytobenov Sat 03-Sep-16 08:28:50

Your post makes me so happy I really want a water birth so my idea of hell would be to be constantly monitored in a bed and with the sonographer saying they won't let me go full term it really panicked me that I wouldn't be able to have a water birth! The size I'm not to fussed about I'm more concerned about becoming a high risk birth and having restrictions put on me. And my dates say I'm a little earlier than what the predicted but I'm hoping not because I only finish work two weeks before my due date so I don't fancy going into labour in work haha

KayTee87 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:38:37

I'm surprised the sonographer would say that to you, as far as I'm aware the decision would be a consultants and nothing to do with a sonographer. Also the NICE guidelines are not to induce due to a suspected large baby. I had a growth scan and my baby was estimated to be 93rd centile, he was born 8 days over due at 8lb12oz so he was big but not that big.

KayTee87 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:39:57

I worded that wrongly - the decision would be yours and the recommendation would come from either your midwife or consultant.

5madthings Sat 03-Sep-16 13:34:40

Yep that is right kay it may be suggested by consultant but is against nice guidelines.

Even if you are induced you can still have pool birth btw providing you don't need the drip. And you don't need continuous monitoring if induced, again it's if you need drip. Even with continuous monitoring you can still move about they have some wireless monitors. But no need to worry about that just make sure you get the info to make informed choices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now