Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strikes- cancelled NHS antenatal clinics?

(20 Posts)
ButtermilkNebula Fri 02-Sep-16 16:42:19

Has anyone had an appointment with a consultant ob affected by a previous strike? Or just generally know what is likely to happen? If your appointment was cancelled, how much longer did you then have to wait to be seen? Although with five days of strikes I suppose we can anticipate even longer waits. I am trying to get my head around it, from what I have read people are saying pretty much all consultants cancel their outpatient clinics as they have to cover emergency care? I rang the hospital but they were very abrupt and said they don't have any information yet.

I have been waiting to see a consultant to discuss an issue that came up in my anomaly scan. It has been like torture tbh, have been worried sick about my baby and counting down the days to the appointment. Now that they have announced strikes for the day of my appointment, I am struggling tbh sad. Anyone else affected?

Mrsbadger77 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:51:02

I had a scan and consultant's appt during the last strike. I just had to wait for ages but still eventually got seen.

ButtermilkNebula Fri 02-Sep-16 16:52:04

Thanks mrsbager that is reassuring

Boomies Fri 02-Sep-16 16:52:55

Bless you that's really stressful. Also place marking as I'd like to know people's experiences. If I haven't had my baby by then my induction date would be in the next strike so wondering what people's experiences have been in the previous strikes of non urgent care I.e. Routine inductions and whether they were postponed etc.

Toocold Fri 02-Sep-16 16:53:15

I am a little worried about this but think they will prioritise emergencies, rightly so, is your baby safe whilst you are pregnant? Do you mind me asking what is wrong? I am under two hospitals at the moment due to complications and issues with the baby's heart but know the baby is safe at the moment.

anyname123 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:53:54

Consultants are not striking, just grades below. So should be ok

Toocold Fri 02-Sep-16 16:54:23

Sorry, I am really not trying to sound blasé as I too am worried about the impact, I was trying to reassure you but it has come out all wrong!

ButtermilkNebula Fri 02-Sep-16 17:04:03

Toocold I'm sorry to hear about your complications and issues with the babies heart, that sounds scary, I'm glad your baby is safe at the moment.
Thankfully I think my baby is safe for now too and it is not an emergency case. I agree that emergencies should absolutely be prioritised at times like this. My issue is to do with placenta function, apparently 25% of my placenta doesn't work and they don't know if this will get worse and cause more serious problems or not. I am an anxious person at the best of times to be honest, so not the best temprament for dealing with this sort of thing.

LondonGirl83 Fri 02-Sep-16 17:38:56

anyname when junior doctors strike, consultants have to cover their jobs which is why the entire system is impacted.

Buttermilk I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you do not have an extended wait as a result of the strike action.

Nan0second Fri 02-Sep-16 17:51:27

I'm in the midlands and at our hospital the plan will be the same as in the previous strikes:
Inductions and elective sections shouldn't be affected. Some clinics may be reduced but most will continue. Wards and admissions will all be consultant covered and that is prioritised over clinic.

ButtermilkNebula Fri 02-Sep-16 22:36:22

Thanks London & Nan0.
Boomies I hope your baby decides to arrive nice and punctually to save you the stress of worrying about induction during strikes!
Excuse my bad spelling *temperament

Toocold Sun 04-Sep-16 17:31:20

I'm sorry to hear that Buttermilk, what plans do they have in place for you?

GoulashSoup Sun 04-Sep-16 19:17:36

Another one waiting to see what happens, I have a scan followed by an antenatal clinic appointment on the 12th. My Dad has taken annual leave to have DS and DH has taken leave to be able to come. While I support the junior doctor's strike (I believe they feel it is the lesser of two evils compared to the impact of an unsafe contract), and at this stage it is not urgent I am seen, it would be really awkward to have it rearranged as both DH and DF would lose their leave anyway.

Fingers crossed that the good bit of your placenta keeps working well enough to keep baby happy and growing OP.

GoulashSoup Sun 04-Sep-16 19:20:14

* doctors'

MagpieCursedTea Sun 04-Sep-16 22:11:04

I just had a letter yesterday saying that my consultant appointment has been moved (to the one day I can't make appointments). No mention of the scan I'm meant to have with it. Going to have to call them tomorrow to try and rearrange it all. No mention of the strike in the letter obviously but the original appointment was on one of the planned strike days.

ButtermilkNebula Sun 04-Sep-16 23:15:11

Toocold I don't know, that is what I am hoping the consultant will tell me at my appointment wink probably extra growth scans.

Thanks Goulash. I hope they manage to see you on the 12th. I am lucky I suppose that I don't have other DC to worry about childcare arrangements for with all this confusion.

Good luck getting your appointment sorted Magpie. Sounds like a pain, fingers crossed they can easily swap it for a day that you can make it. Interesting to know you've had the letter already, I wonder if most hospitals will be sending them out soon. I have visions of not being told it has changed until the very last minute! How cynical of me smile

GoulashSoup Mon 05-Sep-16 09:58:37

Thanks Buttermilk, you are no more cynical than me. I am expecting to rock up to the clinic to be told it's cancelled with no notice at all.

MagpieCursedTea Mon 05-Sep-16 14:08:25

So I phoned to rearrange the one they'd changed and apparently there was a mistake and they'd changed the wrong clinic and I'm back to my original appointment date now confused
Will have to see what happens!

elliej83 Mon 05-Sep-16 16:30:53

The strikes off if this helps anyone smile

Toocold Mon 05-Sep-16 16:45:43

Sorry buttermilk, I thought you knew some of the plans but were waiting for confirmation...think I'm muddling you up with myself 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now