Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Going to wedding as guest - bad morning sickness

(13 Posts)
Zaspbar Fri 02-Sep-16 10:43:16

Hi everyone,
I'm leaving my house for the first time in 6 weeks (apart from hospital /GP due to HG) to attend a family wedding.

I RSVP'd before pregnancy but I'm worried I'm going to come across odd or detached as noone is in the know - I'm 10 weeks grin.

Is there any tips that anyone has to keep my stamina up ? I'm going to take a bag of crackers and biscuits and try to blend in the background. I'm just scared of public vomitting,especially in a church ! And the idea of food is really frightening.

I can not really back out but could perhaps say I have a virus to cover why I'm so weak and sickly looking ? Any ideashmm ?
P.s it's a day and night invite but I may be able sneak away after wedding breakfast sad
Xx

paap1975 Fri 02-Sep-16 10:46:46

I went to a wedding where the vicar was pregnant and had to suck on mints to get herself through the ceremony. Just tell people you've been ill and are still not 100%. That way, you can slip away without offending anybody if you need to. Congratulations!

hels18 Fri 02-Sep-16 10:52:08

I was in exactly the same situation at 8 weeks and no one other than my husband knew!

I arrived early and scouted out the bathrooms in the church so I knew exactly where to aim for, then sat on an aisle seat near the back so I could make a speedy escape when needed.

Took a slightly larger than normal clutch and filled with cereal bars, mints, sherbets and crackers for when I felt nauseous.

If anyone asks, explain you have had a virus/food poisoning recently, then you can get away with eating carefully and not drinking.

I managed to last all day until about 9.30pm when I had to leave and get a cab home as I was exhausted and couldn't dance anymore!!

Good luck, congratulations, and enjoy!

Pinklily1 Fri 02-Sep-16 10:57:09

Also maybe sit near the back in the church, so you can make a quick dash outside of necessary, without too many people noticing.

Definitely say you have been ill/ had food poisoning too - it will help explain why you don't eat much of the wedding breakfast (if you struggle to).

katiegg Fri 02-Sep-16 10:57:57

poor you! pregnancy sickness is the worst and I only had the 'normal' garden variety, not HG.

I was at a wedding when I was around 10 weeks during my first pregnancy, miserable day to be honest but it was the wedding of a very good friend and I couldn't have missed it.

Sit at the back if you can? That way you can make a quick escape if you need to, even just for fresh air? Is there anything that helps you feel less sick? I spent the day sucking on rhubarb and custard sweets and crunching on ice cubes (the barman thought I was nuts asking for pint glasses of ice cubes every 20 mins!). I also brought a spare top with me just in case.... I didn't need it but I felt more confident knowing it was there.

I hope you can enjoy the day, and don't feel bad if you need to escape after the meal, the couple will understand in a couple of weeks smile

Feel better too!

Cakescakescakes Fri 02-Sep-16 11:00:20

I had to be bridesmaid when I was 10 weeks pregnant. Due to a previous mc I didn't want to tell anyone even the bride. It was really tough and I don't know how i managed it. Adrenaline probably. I got away with eating very little by saying my dress was tight and there was no room for the dinner...

LittleCandle Fri 02-Sep-16 11:00:58

I was playing the organ for my friend's wedding after discovering I was pregnant with DD1. It was about the only time I didn't feel sick for the first 3 months (not HG luckily) because the organ was valuable and I hadn't really had much time to get to know it. I made it to the reception, but the food finished me completely and my dad (who came with me because DH was working abroad) took me home. I was astonished recently at the silver wedding party to see a photo of myself, as I have absolutely no recollection of it being taken.

Good luck.

originalusernamefail Fri 02-Sep-16 11:05:24

Oh OP. This was me last year it's crap isn't it? In my case it must have been fairly obvious as I was green. The main course was chicken which is one of my trigger foods. I had to tell the groom as he caught me coming out of the toilet post spew but everyone else didn't mention it, even if they guessed. I had a room at the hotel to nip to if I needed a break. Is that a possibility for you?

Zaspbar Fri 02-Sep-16 16:42:16

Thanks you everybody for sharing your your stories and advice ! I have no idea how you made it through the day asa bridesmaid - impressive.
Love the idea of nibbles on the handbag chocolate
I think public toilets spewing is the worse. I'm very anxious but trying to keep positive and trying to keep comedy scenarios at bay in my mind!
Luckily I'm am booked into an onsite hotel and shareing a room with 4 others who all know my little secret so I can sneak away.
I'll let you all know how I get on smile

Zaspbar Mon 05-Sep-16 17:37:51

I'm back and my advice ... Do not go if you can help it.
Church was so hard, all the sitting down and standing up. I sat at back with nibbles but felt so faint and exhausted.
Yes I was sick quite a few times in a porter cabin in a field. When I sat down i got pulled up to dance with everyone asking me am I ok !
I'm glad I was the for the bride but it was so hard and tiring.
Got home and was so violently sick I wet myself sad

katiegg Wed 07-Sep-16 17:10:41

you poor thing! flowers

I hope you start to feel better very soon, and I don't doubt your friend will especially appreciate you being there when she hears your news.

ConvincingLiar Wed 07-Sep-16 17:16:12

You can win the medal for most effort? Sorry you had a crap time. Hope the B&G appreciate you coming.

chanel223 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:22:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now