Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tiredness at nearly half way

(9 Posts)
user1471423502 Fri 02-Sep-16 10:08:53

Hi All,

this is my first time posting on anything like this. First pregnancy and it hasn't been the easiest of rides. I’m 19+5 today and I've finally got past the horrendous sickness and nausea and seem to be coming out the other side of the stinking colds i get for 2 days that then magically disappear but I’m majorly struggling with tiredness!

I work Mon-Fri full time and coach a sports team 3 nights a week. I try to aim to be in bed to start winding down by 10:30pm and wake at about 8am (obviously at least once I’m up to use the toilet. According to my fitbit I’m getting a good 8 hours plus sleep but I feel exhausted. I’ve had the odd day off sick as over the last couple of months there has been some days where I literally can’t get myself out of bed and will end up sleeping nearly 16 hours. When I visited the midwife they commented on how low my BP was but said it was a good thing and that my iron levels are fine.

When I’m at work I get up from my desk and literally feel like I have weights tied to my legs. By 3pm I’m struggling to keep my eyes open and nodding off at my desk. Is this normal?? I feel really guilty for complaining because I’m over the moon at the fact I’m having a baby I just feel terrible and exhausted. I really don’t know what to do. sad

smellsofelderberries Fri 02-Sep-16 14:34:35

Have you had your thyroid checked?

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 02-Sep-16 14:41:48

With my first pregnancy, I was superwoman (working full-time, ballet, tap, weight-training, circuit classes etc etc). Then the wheels came off completely around 20-22 weeks and I could barely put one foot in front of the other, and the same thing happened, but worse, with my second. I was diagnosed with anaemia the first time round, but only slightly anaemic the second time. You say your iron levels are fine, and presumably you're having urine dips at every appointment to monitor for gestational diabetes, so yes, ask if a thyroid check is in order. My blood pressure was outrageously low through both pregnancies, which is never going to help energy levels.

The non-pathological explanation I got, however, was that there is a big growth spurt around this point in time. That could have started early, maybe?

user1471423502 Fri 02-Sep-16 14:47:22

Thanks Guys,

I hadn't thought of thyroid actually and a few weeks ago my mum did comment and said it looks very swollen. Will get on to midwife at the next app.

DavidPuddy Fri 02-Sep-16 14:49:22

Some doctors told me my iron levels were ok, but actually they were borderline. My regular doctor insisted on iron tablets and they revolutionised my pregnancy. A year on and I am still so grateful for the difference they made - they enabled me to function again.

sleepyMe12 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:01:26

I'm another one who's iron levels were 'fine' I fact they was borderline and then dropped below.
I was prescribed iron tablets but they really didn't agree with me so I started taking spatone.
Within a week the tiredness had lifted.
Also are you taking vitamin D?

Nottalotta Fri 02-Sep-16 19:28:44

I was truly exhausted in my first pregnancy. There is no way on earth I could stay up til 10.30! Some nights I was straight in bed after work, (around 7pm) and was dragging myself out of bed at 8am the next day.

My iron levels were also borderline but tbh the iron made no difference to the tiredness.

LBNM19 Fri 02-Sep-16 23:30:50

I'm pregnant with my 3rd baby and I've struggled with being very tired with all 3 I'm now 21 weeks and feeling very tired.

I had a nap for a couple of hours this afternoon but don't do that everyday.

I worked full time with my first and had to go on mat leave at 28 weeks as I was so tired.

My iron levels etc have always been fine.

user1471423502 Fri 07-Oct-16 16:39:14

Just as an update. It turns out I had an infection! A course of antibiotics has worked wonders!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now