Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant with BMI of 31

(14 Posts)
mommathatwearspink Wed 31-Aug-16 21:41:04

I've recently found out im pregnant with #2. We are so happy but I can't stop worrying about being overweight already and having a BMI of 31.
With DD I had just lost 2st so was a healthy weight but put it back on and more during pregnancy and having lost it since.
I did join Slimming World a couple of weeks ago and have lost a little bit already but the more I read, the more I worry. I feel like I've put myself and baby at risk because I haven't lost the weight before I fell pregnant. Can anyone share their story of their pregnancy with a BMI over 30 and how it affected them?

StubbleTurnips Wed 31-Aug-16 21:46:33

momma snap, I'm a bit further on. I've had a few lectures from midwives about my weight, and the scans have been slightly more difficult. Other than that a healthy (albeit grumpy) pregnancy so far.

I should imagine that you'll have to go through the GTT too.

Mummyshortlegz Wed 31-Aug-16 21:48:18

Last pregnancy I had a bmi of 32 to start and slowly lost weight during the pregnancy and weighed 2kg more the day I gave birth that when I conceived. I had no issues and only had a gtt because I has ketones a few times.

Dlah Wed 31-Aug-16 21:56:22

My BMI was 38 at booking.

I put on about a stone and approx 27 weeks I rejoined slimming world to help with damage limitation so to speak. My plan is to try and stay where I am now, if not a little less, until baby arrives (now 32 weeks) and then I'm going to crack on and try to shift the excess.

Pregnancy has been fairly straight forward, no GTT, scans all good etc.

Id just say try and minimise any further weight gain - slimming world is a good way forward

PickleSarnie Wed 31-Aug-16 21:56:33

Mine was 31 with the 2nd.

No issues. Homebirth.

Only thing was the note on the ultrasound saying that it wasnt as clear due to maternal habitas or something like that.

bustifer Wed 31-Aug-16 21:59:39

My BMI was about that through both pregnancies and I had no problem at all.
Don't worry

5minutestobed Wed 31-Aug-16 22:05:14

Mine was 31 at booking in. No one mentioned it and I didn't have any problems at all. Try not to worry.

mommathatwearspink Thu 01-Sep-16 13:21:17

Thank you for your reassurance ladies smile

mangocoveredlamb Thu 01-Sep-16 13:24:18

My BMI was 30 at booking in, but I lost 10kg during the 1st trimester due to having Hyperemisis. They were far more worried about the loss that the original weight.
I think slimming world do a maintainence programme that you can follow when pregnant.

UntidyAn0n Thu 01-Sep-16 13:26:12

Mine was 33 and 36
Midwives didn't bat an eyelid and no complications due to weight.

BettyOBarley Thu 01-Sep-16 13:35:04

I think in our area it's BMI of over 35 at booking in that means closer monitoring.
My BMI was 30 at booking in and it's never been mentioned. I'm now 37 weeks and have had no problems, blood pressure has been fine. I had to have the glucose test and shared care due to PCOS but the consultant said she wasn't concerned about my BMI or weighing me again.

However I know they now weigh you again near the end of your pregnancy and my BMI has gone up to 36 shock I don't know why I've put loads on this time round apart from losing 3.5 stone very quickly just before I fell pregnant. Dreading that weigh in with the midwife!

Titchypanda Thu 01-Sep-16 18:20:31

I'm almost 20 weeks and have a bmi of almost 31 too. I have been told the GTT is important with higher bmi, and the consultant requested growth scans at 28 and 34 weeks. Other than that, they didn't seem concerned l.

Trifleorbust Thu 01-Sep-16 19:09:49

Mine was 30 at booking in, but they didn't seem bothered. No additional monitoring or anything.

SockQueen Thu 01-Sep-16 20:23:19

Unfortunately, with British demographics the way they are, a BMI of 31 will barely raise an eyebrow with most HCPs. Yes, there are slightly increased risks of things like GD - so you'll need a GTT - and may have consultant-led care and growth scans depending on any other risk factors you may have - but the vast majority of women with that BMI will not have major problems.

Mine was 31 at booking and thanks to a combination of early pregnancy sickness, low-ish carb diet (I followed a lot of suggestions from the Gestational Diabetes website even though I don't have GD) and probably some luck, I've only put on about 4kg in the whole pregnancy and will be 39 weeks tomorrow. Eating healthily, keeping active and trying to avoid excessive weight gain will all help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now