Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I sleep on my back?

(23 Posts)
BubbaM Tue 30-Aug-16 22:26:16

I am 17 weeks pregnant and getting told so many different things about how I should sleep! Can I sleep on my back or do I have to lay on my left side? When does it become a necessity to sleep on my left side?

I'm tired, grumpy and uncomfortable! Please help!

Ffion3107 Tue 30-Aug-16 22:29:05

I'm 37 weeks and still sleeping on my back!

RPC311094 Tue 30-Aug-16 22:35:44

I suppose it depends on the woman. I got told to sleep on my left side as it was better, I used to sleep on my back all the time but since 20 weeks I haven't slept on my back unless I've rolled over in my sleep as It makes me feel light headed and like I can't breathe so I sleep on either side, I am now 28 weeks so it's probably the weight of the baby that does it.

Pinklily1 Wed 31-Aug-16 08:10:21

I got told to avoid sleeping on my back from 16 weeks, but I still did for a while after as it was the only way I could sleep.

I'm now 40+1 and couldn't sleep on my back if I wanted to - you get to a point where the weight of the baby makes it uncomfortable to lie flat.

Ffion3107 Wed 31-Aug-16 08:42:43

I'm sure it is advised not to sleep on your back, but I don't have a choice. Suffering with severe pelvic pain and carpal tunnel syndrome. I can't wait for the baby to arrive so I can have a decent sleep grin

Pinklily1 Wed 31-Aug-16 11:36:25

Me too Ffion! I can't wait to sleep on my front smile

Dlah Wed 31-Aug-16 14:22:29

Sleep how it's comfortable!

I tried to be good and sleep on my sides only, I'm now 32 weeks and my shoulder practically dislocates most mornings from the extra pressure, so I'm now having to alternate with back included. You body will naturally shift when uncomfortable

HateSummer Wed 31-Aug-16 14:24:20

You can try and I'm sure it's ok, but you'll get to a point in the next month or so where laying on your back will leave you breathless and dizzy. I couldn't do it. You should apparently sleep on your left side, but really, just sleep where your comfy.

sentia Wed 31-Aug-16 14:27:29

My midwife told me that I will feel dizzy and unwell before there are any ill-effects on the baby. So if you lie on your back and you don't feel well, don't do it.

The problem (baby pressing on the vena cava) does depend on a few things for it to happen like the mother's physiology, the size of the baby, the location of the placenta etc.

Janubub Wed 31-Aug-16 14:27:52

I'm 20w and worrying because I LOVE sleeping on my back. I naturally sleep there anyway but now if I sleep on my sides I get terrible hip pain. So I either have pain, or guilt. Can't win!

notinagreatplace Wed 31-Aug-16 14:43:22

I'm 33 weeks and still comfortable on my back - I keep getting a bit concerned that everyone keeps saying that by this point you shouldn't be comfortable that way. I prefer to sleep on my side anyway but read books, etc, on my back all the time.

Thurlow Wed 31-Aug-16 14:51:51

I often wake up on my back, it seems to be comfortable when I'm hot and have restless legs. I think the issue is far more to do with you then the baby, so as long as you find it more comfortable, you should be fine.

Vap0 Wed 31-Aug-16 17:33:57

Sleeping on my back still at 39+1 and section booked for tomorrow. The dr said to me to sleep however you are comfortable. Don't worry about how you sleep, your body will tell you what it wants.

Whatsername17 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:12:31

I'm nearly 20 weeks and I am. I did all of the way through with dd too!

bumblebee86 Fri 02-Sep-16 10:48:15

I'm glad I saw this thread as I had read somewhere you must sleep on your left and I have been trying to, but it's not the position I find most comfortable and have to move to my right or on my back throughout the night. I'm 22 weeks and after reading all your comments not going to worry so much now and sleep how I am most comfortable!

Laura05 Fri 02-Sep-16 11:29:43

I slept on my back all the way through pg1 and 2 but I had a tiny bump each time. As above you will feel breathless/dizzy but will cause no harm to your baby. It is advised you sleep on your left side but sleep however you can get comfy! I'm only 12weeks but already had aching hips and pelvic pain so sticking to sleeping on my back at least dh can't steal my bed space if I'm starfished!

HobnobDunker Fri 02-Sep-16 11:54:05

I slept on my back until around 30 weeks at which point I started to feel uncomfortable due to the weight of my bump. I agree that you should sleep however you feel comfortable, your body will let you know if you should change position!

freerangeeggs Fri 02-Sep-16 12:22:07

I'm 32 weeks and lying on my back has never made me feel light-headed or dizzy.

Sometimes I feel a sort of thick pulsing feeling which is a bit unpleasant, but since the baby flipped that seems to have stopped. He does wiggle about quite a lot though when I'm on my back.

I tend to go to sleep on my side but usually wake up on my back. If you're uncomfortable I'm sure your body will move.

bumblebee86 Fri 02-Sep-16 12:25:44

Thanks everyone. I'm going to sleep how I'm comfy from now on! I sometimes sleep on my side, with my leg that's on top in front of me (if that makes any sense!) I'm not laying on my front, but kind of between from front and side and then I worry I'll hurt the baby laying like that?
It's been an adjustment because I always used to sleep on my front!

smellsofelderberries Fri 02-Sep-16 14:32:06

I've only just started noticing a problem with lying/sleeping on my back this week at week 29. Woke up on my back the other night and I had pains/pins and needles across my forehead. Had another scan today and same thing happened after being on the bed for 15 minutes. You'll know if it's not okay!

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 02-Sep-16 14:57:56

Put it this way. The 'lying on your left side is best' has been around for...50 years? Maybe? If that?

How long has the human race been around - and thriving - with pregnant women sleeping however the feck they want?

You sleep however you feel comfortable. You'll need to stock up for when third trimester insomnia hits...

Titchypanda Fri 02-Sep-16 23:27:42

My midwife was adamant I don't sleep on my back and told me at 16w to stop. I posted on here at my wits end after no sleep for days trying my side. Loads of mums to be and mums reassured me that it's ok to sleep on your back and your body will tell you when you need to change. I'm almost 20w now and still sleeping on my back. I do find that I'll end up on my side about a third of the time now. Rest is important, if you don't have a massive bump and back is the only comfortable position, sleep on your back. If you're worried, try a short nap on your back and then change position. Good luck, I hope you can get some rest.

balalalala Sat 03-Sep-16 12:28:26

I slept on my back throughout. I kept trying to lie on my side and would go to sleep like that but found even with cushions my bump hurt lying sideways so rotated onto my back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now