Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Genuinely terrified, anyone else?

(6 Posts)
Brightsmoke Mon 29-Aug-16 19:23:16

It's very early days for me (4 weeks) and I'm genuinely petrified something bad will happen. I'm probably being ridiculous, but it's really worrying me. I'm in a fairly hard working job, but I don't want to tell them yet in case something happens, but I don't want to keep going in case it risks baby.

Argh!! Anyone have words of wisdom?!

hopeful31yrs Mon 29-Aug-16 19:41:31

I think it's absolutely normal to be scared when pregnant and it's a new feeling because it's not just being scared for yourself but for this new life you're making. No one can prepare you for that. No one can tell you it'll all be ok. The odds are that everything will be however. Take each week at a time, enjoy the ups, moan about the downs and take care of yourself - it's a hard enough time as it is.

My job is full on and for my first I didn't concede anything. This time I realise my family comes first and I've let myself take what I need for myself and baby. Saying that, I had no issues with my first.

Congratulations

Joydgreen88 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:01:25

I feel and sympathise so so much. I've been pretty much exactly the same since I found out - every scan is and has been a nightmare, because I'm so worried they're going to tell me something has happened. So you are definitely not alone!

With regards to work, I also had a very intense job, and didn't want to let on too early. I managed to slow myself down, without it affecting my work, and when I told my director he was lovely about it all. I did mention earlier than I had planned, so they had time to put in a risk assessment etc.

Babies are surprisingly hardy! Even when you're feeling rubbish, they seem to just carry on regardless. Just keep telling yourself that odds are in your favour that all will be fine, and even if the absolute worst does happen you will get through it. It's so hard to stay positive all the time, but endless worrying really doesn't help at all. And I speak from experience, I panic myself endlessly! Congratulations and I'm sure everything will be absolutely fine smile

Vida32 Mon 29-Aug-16 22:01:14

Absolutely. I'm at exactly the same stage and petrified. Keep wondering what I'll find when I go to the loo. Panicking at every twinge. Googling every 5 mins. I don't have any solutions yet - but every sympathy. You are not alone!

Brightsmoke Mon 29-Aug-16 22:19:20

Thanks ladies, it's nice to know in not alone!

Unfortunately in my job I can't really slow it down, its all or nothing really!

I think I've decided to tell them, I would never forgive myself if something happened and I hadn't lowered the chances. I think I would be selfish with the role I am in to not tell them!

Still doesn't stop me worrying, and I'm normally as cool as a cucumber! X

TashaT Tue 30-Aug-16 14:46:04

I was/ am in the same boat as you, Brightsmoke.

My job is very fast paced and incredibly stressful. I knew as soon as I had conceived but had to wait 2 weeks before I could produce a positive pregnancy test as proof. During those 2 weeks I was terrified that the stress and workload would harm my baby so I told my boss as soon as I had that positive test in my hands. I was only 4 weeks but I knew my reasons for telling him were sensible and the best thing for mine and my babies health. Also, I felt instantly more relaxed, happier and less worried knowing that my boss was now looking out for me. I felt protected because he understood my fears and that helped massively. I am now nearly 9 weeks and my boss has worked really hard to help me.

Definitely tell your boss. You will feel better for it. Just them know that you want him/her to keep this to themselves for now and that you'll announce it formally to everyone who needs to know when you're ready. That's what I did with mine. I plan to tell everyone else when I've had my 12 week scan. Until then it's our little secret!

Good luck and be sure to take care of yourself. Worrying is natural but do whatever you need to to lessen it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now