Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First Scan

(11 Posts)
MrsKBill Mon 29-Aug-16 07:19:29

Good morning!!

I have my first scan tomorrow and I'm excited and nervous at the same time (first baby).
My midwife didn't really explain very well what happens at the first scan. Is it just height, weight, scan and bloods or any other examination?
I have a consultant referral due to BMI also and told that I will see them after the scan?

eurochick Mon 29-Aug-16 07:29:27

Do you mean the 12 week scan (it was not my first but it is for many so I'm assuming that is what you mean)? It was just the scan and blood taken for me.

MrsKBill Mon 29-Aug-16 07:34:35

Hi Eurochick

Yes, sorry, it's my 12 week scan. Is there any more form filling in too? Or is that always with the midwife?

eurochick Mon 29-Aug-16 07:45:31

There was no form filling after booking in for me.

lightcola Mon 29-Aug-16 07:47:25

You will need a full bladder for the scan, but also a urine sample for dip testing. They will scan you and measure the baby. This will then determine your due date which is the one they will stick to throughout your pregnancy. If you have requested it they will do a few checks for downs etc. They will also offer you the chance for a photo so take lots of change with you. It is both exciting and nerve wracking as it is usually the first time you get real confirmation you're pregnant other than a test. Congratulations

MrsKBill Mon 29-Aug-16 08:02:03

Thank you!! Excited now smile

Whatsername17 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:05:32

I filled in a sheet that asks your name, address, gp and ethnicity. I think its a data collection sheet rather than something personal to you. You do need a full bladder so start drinking an hour before. No more or you will feel like you want to burst. They are checking for viability- is there a heartbeat, are all of the visible organs there etc. Some won't be visible, but this is a first check. They measure baby and give you your official due date. It can change quite a bit from your date that you have from your last period - mine moved forward a whole week! They also check to see how many babies are in there. Good luck. flowers

Whatsername17 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:07:03

Oh and they do the nuchal fold test (measure the fluid at the back of babies neck) and a blood test if you are testing for downs/edwards/pateus etc

Afreshstartplease Mon 29-Aug-16 08:09:33

Here it goes

Scan first
Height weight and bp taken
See a doctor / consultant (bloods taken, any issues discussed)

It takes about 3 hours here with all the waiting in between people you see

MrsKBill Mon 29-Aug-16 08:25:12

You have all been a great help - feeling abit more relaxed

mum2Bomg Mon 29-Aug-16 10:24:39

I was absolutely terrified - but it was amazing! Try and enjoy it if you can. I had a smile on my face for the next week 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now