Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Positive test 6 weeks after miscarriage

(21 Posts)
user1472314305 Sat 27-Aug-16 17:18:57

I had a miscarriage on 17th July and when I went for my check up scan all was clear. I didn't take any pregnancy tests to check my hgc levels had gone down. 6 weeks later I noticed (tmi) I was getting a lot of discharge and my boobs are hurting a lot. Just did a pregnancy test today 6 weeks later and it's positive.
I feel like I can't get excited because I'm worried about left over hormones causing a false positive. Also how do you ever enjoy pregnancy again after a miscarriage.
Only found out two hours ago and don't know what to do with myself!!

Whatsername17 Sat 27-Aug-16 17:32:58

How far along were you when you lost your baby? I miscarried at 13 weeks. Tests took two weeks to go to negative. If you miscarry earlier it can be quicker than that. Pregnancy after miscarriage is really hard. You just get through it, completely lacking in naivety and full of anxiety. We've got a thread when you are ready and know for sure - staying posifrickentive. You could try asking the GP for a blood tests which would give you a definitive answer. Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss. flowers

Nishky Sat 27-Aug-16 17:39:36

Sorry for your loss-as Whatsername says you just get through it. It is so tough.

I was lucky in a way as I had no sickness in my pregnancies that ended in loss, but felt really sick. I knew it was no guarantee but it helped. Still cried on the way to the 12 week scan though.

Hope it works out for you x

user1472314305 Sat 27-Aug-16 23:26:44

I was 7 weeks when I lost the baby. Was heartbreaking but i have been feeling a lot better. Been having some symptoms and had a few twinges this last few days. despite the doctors warning to wait until my first cycle was over after the miscarriage. We didn't and I am now pretty sure I'm pregnant.

smellsofelderberries Sun 28-Aug-16 02:18:30

Congratulations OP! I well remember that horrible mix of despair and joy at a BFP after miscarriage. I fell pregnant the second cycle after my miscarriage and, despite some bleeding in the first trimester, I'm now 29 weeks and things have been very uneventful. I would get to your GP so they can refer you for an early scan to check your dates and see how far along you are. Good luck! Just remember, this is a different pregnancy with a different outcome smile

23jumpstreet Sun 28-Aug-16 02:21:59

It is possible as I had twins after misscarriage at 7 weeks.

LottieL Sun 28-Aug-16 06:58:29

I had a miscarriage in April and became pregnant again in after one period. I am now 12 + 2 🙂 As elderberries said it has been fairly uneventful apart from a little brown bleeding and I've had my scans which measure perfectly, and I have a wriggly baby in there.

It's hard, don't get me wrong. All you can do is wonder if the same us going to happen again, but try and see this pregnancy as new and different. It does get easier, I promise. You never forget the first loss but you start to be able to look forward to this new little bundle with hope and happiness, without feeling guilty.

Motherfuckers Sun 28-Aug-16 07:04:13

After 6 weeks it is not a false positive. Initially it is hard after miscarriage but it gets easier. Congratulations

user1472314305 Sun 28-Aug-16 07:05:34

So it's more likely you think that after 6 weeks this isn't a false positive - I don't wanna get all excited about being pregnant only to find I'm not! confused

Motherfuckers Sun 28-Aug-16 07:28:29

Surely the hormones would have dissipated after a couple of weeks? I can only really go by my own experience and I was pregnant immediately after miscarriage (at 12 weeks ) It was an emotional time to begin with, but I started to relax after the scan and ultimately had a really carefree pregnancy.

Motherfuckers Sun 28-Aug-16 07:29:55

I didn't even have a period before getting pregnant again, so yes, it is very possible.

Whatsername17 Sun 28-Aug-16 07:41:14

The only way it can be a false positive is if you have retained products from your miscarriage. This happened to my cousin and she had false positives for 3 months before they eventually did a d&c. A blood test is the only way to be sure. You should see your gp. If they give you any crap about waiting then tell them, firmly, that the miscarriage association state that is simply for dating purposes and there is no rule saying you have to. I did wait, but I was a mess so did it for my mental health. Good luck x

user1472314305 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:22:51

The scan I had after I lost the baby showed that everything was as it should be all all clear it had even started to look pre pregnancy again. This could be very exciting then!

SleepFreeZone Sun 28-Aug-16 12:33:34

It took 6 weeks post all three of my miscarriages to get a negative test. Did you test negative after you miscarriage? If you did and now it's positive then it sounds like a new pregnancy. If this is your first test post MC then there is a chance it's left over hormone and all you can do is keep testing and see if the line darkens/conception indicator increases or go to the doctor for blood tests.

user1472314305 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:24:43

Thank you everyone.
Argh I'm totally cramping today - freaking out I'm losing another baby!
Not a major pain but a few sharp short abdominal pains.

jpeg28 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:26:53

Congratulations user! Sounds like you are pg... I thought I would add that I had a MC at 7 weeks and 5 weeks later I got a BFP and thought I was pg again, turns out it was still left over hcg. It was incredible faint though. I'm sure yours was a real BFP but just wanted to let you know. Can you get bloods just to 100% confirm it??

McBaby Sun 28-Aug-16 20:21:16

I have a positive test 6 weeks after miscarriage and it was left over hormones confirmed by bhgc tests. I would see the gp and get a series of blood tests.

broodylady80 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:06:30

Hi User, I had a miscarriage on 9th July and got my next bfp on 17th August. I had negative tests in between and my doctor was confident that it was a new pregnancy.

I was the exact same as you and wondered if it could be real.

I have an early scan now booked for tomorrow as I was panicked at every twinge etc so I am hoping tomorrow I will have settled and begun to enjoy my pregnancy.

Good luck and I hope everything works out well smile

user1472314305 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:51:19

Hi all, been to the docs today and now have the official pregnancy stamp! Im terrified this baby will also not stick but praying for sticky baby dust. Due to having a scan 6 weeks ago which showed my womb clear my doctor is sure i would not have this many hormones left in my system!
Excellent news - plus sore boobs, watery discharge and my fridge smells revolting to me. All good signs - clear blue tells me I'm 2-3 (4-5) weeks which is exciting.
Thankyou all so much - now I'll just worry till full term!

SleepFreeZone Tue 30-Aug-16 16:01:13

Oooh how wonderful 🤗 Congratulations xxx

Nishky Tue 30-Aug-16 21:36:07

Brilliant. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now