Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are there actually any medical benefits to this or are they just trying to prevent a traumatic birth?

(62 Posts)
usernoidea Fri 26-Aug-16 16:37:18

Hi. Just had scan at 38 weeks - baby measuring mid 9lbs . The hospital are keen to induce me on or before due date because of size and my age (I'm an old 37?!)
Any advice on this? Or any medical reason why they're suggesting induction or risk to baby if I don't accept induction?
I'm keen to go naturally but obviously wouldn't put my baby or me at risk ....
All advice / knowledge greatly appreciated. Thanks x

Tumtitum Fri 26-Aug-16 16:43:39

I've no idea to be honest but I know that they are often wrong about the weight at growth scans!!

ImYourMama Fri 26-Aug-16 16:46:14

Babies are considered 'full term' from 37-40 weeks, but you need to consider if you want baby to be the youngest in the school year or oldest. September would always be my preference over August but it's each to their own smile

usernoidea Fri 26-Aug-16 16:55:56

God I'm your mama I was hoping to make the decision on any medical reasons or risks at this unsettling time , not if he's going to old or young in his class!!

GinAndSonic Fri 26-Aug-16 16:59:17

They told me ds would be huge. Massive. Humongous.

He was 8lb 3 and I sneezed him out a week late.

I wouldnt accept induction based on estimated weight by scan.

GinAndSonic Fri 26-Aug-16 17:00:35

But also, agree with Mama, your child will do far better in school as one of the oldest, so keep your legs crossed till September 1st at least

MrsRhubarb Fri 26-Aug-16 17:03:21

Have a read up on induction. I am keen to avoid it at all costs, as it often leads to a cascade of interventions which may not be what you want. If the only reason is a growth scan, which are renowned for their inaccuracy, I would be keen to hold on another week, and see where you are then. Keep moving, and do some research. Ask your health professionals lots of questions about pros, cons and alternatives.

ElspethFlashman Fri 26-Aug-16 17:04:07

Ask for a scan at 40 weeks. Then you can decide on a date for induction based on size.

Age reason is total bollocks. 37 is nothing these days. I was older than that with my first and induction was booked for 2 weeks over.

Celen Fri 26-Aug-16 17:06:04

My friend has just had a baby, they thought she would be 9lb 4oz - she came out at 7lb 2oz hmm

SpecialAgentSpartacusRoars Fri 26-Aug-16 17:07:40

I put off my induction of my DTs for as long as possible, as twins are always smaller than they say.

i sure as heck wouldn't do it because of my baby's weight, which is always bloody wrong!

You do what you feel comfortable with, don't let anyone pressure you.

Bastardshittits Fri 26-Aug-16 17:08:58

Growth scans are known for being inaccurate. DS2 was scanned at 34 weeks and estimated at 6.5lbs there and then. I was braced for a 11lber. He hung on until 40+2 and was only 8lb 3.

I've always found the midwives to be the best estimators of the babies weight.

ClockMakerSue Fri 26-Aug-16 17:09:53

I'd speak to whoever suggested it or your midwife and ask more questions as I've not heard of 9lb ish being seen as big enough to induce or age and usually they don't seem to encourage inductions here.

Walkinglikeazombie Fri 26-Aug-16 17:20:32

Hi user,

I was induced with my DD2 for the same reason. Had a scan at 38 weeks showing that she is over 98th centile (can't remember their weight estimate).
Their reasonings for induction were
A) my DD1 was 11 days overdue and they were worried the same thing would happen again which would mean the baby will only get bigger
B) I will more likely need a cs if I wait to go into labour naturally due to babies size.
I was completely confused, had asked my consultant and midwife what to do and they both thought that I should go ahead with induction; which in the end I did.
I had an induction booked for Sunday morning, had a pessary inserted which started contractions right away but things only got going on Monday morning; and I ended up giving birth just before 2pm Monday at 39+5 weeks. My DD2 was just under 4kg, which isn't small but was still less than their weight estimate two weeks earlier.
I don't regret my choice now as thankfully all went well, however in all honesty if I could do it again I don't think I would agree to be induced.

DropYourSword Fri 26-Aug-16 17:25:53

I really wouldn't base your decision on when they'll be going to school - glad you've discounted that!!

Just something to consider but it's really in the final few weeks that babies really lay down their fat stores. As pp have said, scans can be inaccurate but if your baby is on the large side already the idea of inducing you on your due date is to minimise the risk of you going 14 days over and baby getting much bigger in this time. Best of luck to you!

Hollie2710 Fri 26-Aug-16 17:27:29

With bigger babies there are higher risks of shoulder dystocia and other problems during delivery. I suspect this is at least part of their reasoning for suggesting induction rather than potentially let you go to 42 weeks without intervention when baby will be bigger

Advicepls7080 Fri 26-Aug-16 17:27:48

Opposite to everyone else it appears I was induced due to lack of movement with my son but they said to me he will be underweight and need to stay in for a long time the scan said he was around 4lb at 40 weeks.. He was 8lb1oz 😑

LittleCandle Fri 26-Aug-16 17:58:43

I was induced with DD1 at a week over. I wasn't told why (consultant was a miserable old git who never told you anything) but it wasn't weight. However, I have a small pelvis, so that might have also been a consideration, but as I said, the consultant never told me anything.

Advicepls7080 Fri 26-Aug-16 18:04:18

They normally begin to discuss inducing once you're a week over, apparently the further over 40 weeks the more dangerous it is for mother and child

PacificDogwod Fri 26-Aug-16 18:05:00

Find out what their reasons are to suggest induction for you - none us us here can really advise you.

The risk of the placenta not working so well and affecting the baby (intrauterine death being the most disastrous consequence of that potentially) rises with maternal age and with gestation.

I was 37 when I had DS1 and went to T+15, was then induced and had a good delivery with him.
I had been offered induction several times before then, and had had several sweeps. All decisions were made with me and in discussion about risks and benefits of various options.

Some babies born at 37 weeks whether induced or not have breathing problems, many are absolutely fine.

The size thing? Meh - the overall size/weight of the baby is not as important for how well the delivery goes than a. its position/presentation, b. the size of its head and c. how the labour progresses.
And scan guesstimates of weights are notoriously unreliable - I'd not fret about the weight.

So, ask about what your risks are? Age, smoking, diabetes, liquor volume, yadda yadda, I am sure there are loads of other indicators that I cannot think of just now.

You do NOT have to consent to anything you do not want, but you should get the information to allow you to make an informed choice.

YokoUhOh Fri 26-Aug-16 18:09:12

I was told DS1 was going to be a 10 pounder. He popped out at 38 weeks weighing 6lb7oz. Growth scans arent usually very accurate.

Fizzyjo Fri 26-Aug-16 18:40:39

I agree with those who say to ask the specialists why they recommend that you are induced. There are more risks with bigger babies getting stuck, placenta reduces effectiveness after approx 40 weeks and more damage to you if they are big. So although the scans etc may not be accurate, they would rather risk that but deliver the baby safely than say it might not be accurate but we'll take the risk - if it did go wrong a lot of people would blame them for not doing something sooner. So best to find out and listen to them.

I would 100% rather have a healthy child that will be the youngest in their year than the other way around. Ridiculous comments - both my sister and I are July and August birthdays and both got very high a levels, degrees and did not notice any difference being the youngest in the year. Think about the safety of the baby not which school year they will get into.

PeppaPigStinks Fri 26-Aug-16 18:50:54

I went two weeks over. Had a ten and a half pound baby who got severely stuck. He is one very lucky boy and I am also very lucky. No one had picked up he would be so big.
Given the choice I would of had an earlier induction.

I have had two inductions. Apart from the shoulder dystocia ( caused by me being a small frame and ds being so big) they have both gone very well for me.

I'd bear in mind for every horror story - there is always a positive story that people don't shout from the rooftops so much about!

Best of luck with your decision wink

PeppaPigStinks Fri 26-Aug-16 18:53:26

I agree with fizzyjo- ultimately the health of your baby is far more important. My son was so poorly when he was born I have been told he is lucky he didn't suffer from brain damage.

ProseccoPoppy Fri 26-Aug-16 19:02:49

With DD I had growth scans - she was measuring big and I'm quite small - 5ft 1 (if I stretch!) with - it turns out - quite a small pelvis. The main concern was shoulder dystocia. In the end my waters went 5 hours before I was due to see the consultant about a final decision on either induction or c section. Ended up with an EMCS 44 hours later as she really was too big for my pelvis and seemed to be getting stuck. They were absolutely bang on with the size with her (9 and a half pounds so not a monster but absolutely massive for me!) It wasn't a nice experience for either of us but she's lovely and healthy and no harm done in the long run.

Good luck. smile

thequeenofsandwich Fri 26-Aug-16 19:14:54

Peppa your story sounds very similar to mine . I'm 5"2 , size 3 feet. My 16 yr old daughter was born weighing 10lb 4oz. Severe shoulder distocia which resulted in a dislocated shoulder and heavy blood loss , me needing 2 lots of corrective surgery . All through my pregnancy I was told she was large - estimated 9lbs at 38 weeks . I begged to be induced , I was struggling. Oh no the longer she's in there the stronger and healthier she'll grow ...... In hindsight the professionals agreed I shouldn't have been left to go to 42 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now