Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early pregnancy scan

(20 Posts)
Allyx123 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:45:46

Hello ladies, I had spotting and cramps so I was referred for an early pregnancy scan. I am only 4 weeks and the doctor said it looks like "an early pregnancy in the right place" and then told me that she couldn't completely rule out it being ectopic. She said everything looked fine but I could only see the sac so now I'm worrying. Has anyone else had this? Is it just where it's so small that she can't see anything properly and have you ever been told that it looks fine but that they can't rule out ectopic? Surely they should be able to see where it is definitely? Thank you ladies xx

jpeg28 Fri 26-Aug-16 20:05:53

ally I had the exact same thing. Had an early scan at 4+6 and they said sac was in correct place but couldn't see baby yet. They also saw something on my ovary (had been causing the cramping) and that there was a 1 in 30,000 chance I had an ectopic as well! I'm now 6 weeks and have another scan on Tuesday. I've spoken to a few people about it and most say it is a cyst not ectopic.
Sounds like your doctor is being extra cautious... It's very unlikely to be ectopic if the sac is in place, have you got another scan lined up?

Allyx123 Sat 27-Aug-16 00:16:08

Thank you for your reply it's made me feel so much better! I think I'm just stressing because it's my first pregnancy and I want everything to go smoothly. I worried because she said she could see the sac but she couldn't say for definite if it was in the right place so I panicked thinking that surely she should know. I've had more bloods taken today to check that the hcg levels are still rising and I've got another scan for a weeks time when I will be 6 weeks. Just a quick question (if you know the answer) I had to have an internal because it was so early and I've had brown spotting for two days, it's only very light and I don't think it's anything to worry about but just wondering if you had the same? Xxxxxx

jpeg28 Sat 27-Aug-16 07:13:28

Yes exactly the same! Well I had brown spotting before the scan which is what made me go in, I had a MC last time so I was worried, then a day after the scan I did have a little more and then it stopped for about 4 days, I had a bit more yesterday too. As long as it stays brown you're ok! Doctor told me so many women have spotting and not to worry! I know that's easier said than done!
Good luck at you're next scan!

sammylou1 Sat 27-Aug-16 08:28:41

I had bright red bleeding at 4 weeks and they wouldn't scan me as said it was too early. I'm wondering if you mean 4 weeks from conception so actually 6 weeks in pregnancy terms?

Either way it is too early for a heart beat to definitely be seen.

FYI I saw 2 heart beats at 7+4 so my bleeding did no harm smile. Good luck

Ilovewillow Sat 27-Aug-16 08:42:17

A different situation but I had IVF for both of my children and therefore had very early scans circa four weeks pregnant. In order for them to see the baby and hear heartbeats the scan had to be internal so don't worry too much!

Good luck

Allyx123 Sat 27-Aug-16 08:55:45

Thank you all, I've been so stressed and thought the spotting was another bad sign but it's the tiniest amount so fingers crossed everything is fine! When I went to the hospital the first time they refused to do anything and then I had extremely bad pains and the doctor on duty was lovely and did the scan for me there and then (at about 1am!) I was 4+6 the day I had the scan but everything was too small to be seen. Just waiting to hear back from the doctors any time this morning to see if my hcg levels are still rising xxxx

Evergreen17 Sat 27-Aug-16 09:02:11

OP I had a scan at 5 weeks and a couple of days and they only saw the sac in the right place

Then I went bak at 7 and some and they saw a heartbeat

I am now 15 weeks pregnant

Do not worry and do not google (I did this and you probably will bit worth trying)

Best wishes

Evergreen17 Sat 27-Aug-16 09:37:50

OP I had a scan at 5 weeks and a couple of days and they only saw the sac in the right place

Then I went bak at 7 and some and they saw a heartbeat

I am now 15 weeks pregnant

Do not worry and do not google (I did this and you probably will bit worth trying)

Best wishes

Mybugslife Sat 27-Aug-16 09:46:28

Exactly the same in 3 of my 5 pregnancies.
This one (17w now) took 3 goes to actually see baby with a heartbeat as the 1st 2 scans was so early. I had lots of pain and was told possibly ectopic due to a fair amount of free fluid in my pelvis and a previous ectopic (I didn't even know I was pregnant) But all was okay.
Xx

Allyx123 Sat 27-Aug-16 10:03:31

Thank you ladies, it's so reassuring to know that people don't see much on the first scan as I was told by a friend that if I don't see anything in the sac at the scan then I need to worry (great advice...not) I've just had a phone call from the doctor who said that my hcg levels are at 7000 at 5 weeks. He said this is quite high and that everything seems fine, time to stop stressing so much and start enjoying this I think 😌

Evergreen17 Sat 27-Aug-16 10:17:52

oP ignore your friend's advice. Who tells someone they should worry anyway?!!
And on my scan where the sac was empty I was told I was 5 weeks

On my 12 weeks scan I was told I was 12+3 so I was actually5+3 when they saw my empty sac

Just be kind to yourself and I hope the wait is not too long

Allyx123 Sat 27-Aug-16 11:19:50

Thank you Evergreen17, just spoke to a nurse and she said she is really happy with all my results and that everything looks good. I've got another scan for Wednesday so I'm praying everything goes okay!! Xxxx

Evergreen17 Sat 27-Aug-16 12:01:16

smilesmile

Allyx123 Thu 01-Sep-16 01:54:24

Just an update, I went for my second scan today, the nurse said everything looks absolutely fine! I could see everything including a tiny little heartbeat. Sooo relieved, the sac is measuring at 14mm which she said puts me at 6 weeks 😁 Xxxx

Mummios Thu 01-Sep-16 09:50:40

I'm so worried, I can't concentrate on anything else at the moment!!
I'm approx 7 weeks pregnant and have an early scan tomorrow as I had a few days of bleeding. I'm still getting positive tests but the waiting is making me crazy! My GP wouldn't do bloods either so we've just had to wait it out!!

Allyx123 Thu 01-Sep-16 11:49:38

Hello mummios, I know it's horrid but try not to stress! I had bleeding for a few days and completely panicked myself, I wasn't sleeping where I was so nervous. When I went to the scan they said that everything was fine and sometimes bleeding just happens. My sister bled loads when she was 14 weeks and they said her cervix had opened but she had a completely healthy baby. It is terrifying but please don't worry yourself too much, good luck I'll be thinking of you xxxx

Mummios Fri 02-Sep-16 12:42:43

Thanks Allyx123,
So I had my scan this morning and they couldn't see any sac, but there's signs of a pregnancy. They've said I'm either too early on in the pregnancy or ?ectopic ?miscarriage. They've taken bloods and then I've got more on Sunday to measure my bhcg...so we're still none the wiser!!! confused

Allyx123 Fri 02-Sep-16 12:53:48

Try not to panic when I went they said that they could see a sac but nothing else. The doctor called it a pregnancy of unknown location and said it could be ectopic so I panicked loads. When I went back the next time they could see it its just that I was so early and it was so tiny. Did they say what your blood levels were today? Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Xxxx

Mummios Fri 02-Sep-16 12:57:09

They said if I don't hear from them today then just come in on Sunday for repeat bloods to compare the results.
I'm preparing myself for the worst now though cos they didn't see any sac at all!!
Thanks for replying x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now