Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nausea can't face fluids

(12 Posts)
Bex2110 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:16:36

Hi ladies. I'm six weeks four days pg. Normally I am able to drink lots of water (about 5-6 pints a day) however, since the end of last week I've been feeling quite nauseous in the mornings (not physically sick though) and I can't face drinking water. I've managed a few cups of hot water but not much more than that. My pee is a light green colour, not clear like normal. Is this okay? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks in advance xx

hopeful31yrs Tue 23-Aug-16 16:46:49

I was like this at the beginning. Found appletiser the easiest to drink (not ideal) but also to have an extra strong mint and then sip water around it. Your urine should not be concentrated. If it looks like apple juice you need to drink more!

Somerville Tue 23-Aug-16 16:48:53

Very hot drinks (such as herbal tea) or very cold drinks - or even sucking ice pops or ice cubes - are often more palatable with pregnancy nausea.

Ohwoolballs Tue 23-Aug-16 16:50:54

Congratulations Bex
Ice lollies are your friend!
I remember these days months well. For a good few weeks I could only stomach lemon ice lollies and that was how I got my water in. Then you will crave salty things to make the water work! Not sure about the green wee though, have oh had your booking in appt?<wanders off for a pork pie>

freetrampolineforall Tue 23-Aug-16 16:51:35

Can you manage ice cubes? What about watery food like cucumber and lettuce? Was in this situation myself and ended up in hospital with hyperemesis. Please keep in touch with gp about this. Risk of dehydration is high in this hot weather.

Bex2110 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:59:29

Hi ladies, thank you for all getting back to me. I may have caused confusion with the green wee, it's more like a pale yellow, but it is stronger than what I'm used to. It's so strange because around 4pm I start to feel better. I've just drink 500ml water and feel okay. I will definitely buy some ice pops. That's such a good idea. I have a massive phobia of vomiting so I'm hoping the nausea doesn't progress to actual sickened. How long do you think it will last for?
I haven't had my booking app. yet, this is booked in for 31st.
Thank you all again x

freetrampolineforall Tue 23-Aug-16 17:02:45

I'm also pretty scared of vomiting - it may be one of those things you will have no choice but to put up with.

Bex2110 Tue 23-Aug-16 18:53:43

My fear is so strong though, I panic every time I think about being sick, I'm not sure if that could be making things worse. sad

freetrampolineforall Tue 23-Aug-16 19:11:19

It can make things worse if you panic. Try and work out some coping strategies. Perhaps have stuff in bathroom to get yourself back to normal quickly. Speak to someone on the midwife team or just to your gp. Keep using mumsnet for advice and support if you find that people are dismissive in real life.

Titchypanda Tue 23-Aug-16 20:26:26

Definitely ice lollies. I really struggled with fluids in early pregnancy. Be careful you don't get a uti. ice cubes are good if you prefer non flavoured. As is sipping water rather than long drinks. Any problems, talk to the midwife, they can help with most problems.

EreniTheFrog Tue 23-Aug-16 20:50:24

Does anything other than pure water make you less nauseous? I am drinking fizzy rather than still water at the moment, and I know some people swear by lemonade or fruit squashes.

Becciilouisex3 Wed 24-Aug-16 09:34:14

Hi chick, not to worry you but I'd give your GP/midwife a call just because it sounds like you're dehydrated and if so it's likely they'll want to put you on an IV just to make sure you have enough fluids for your own health and for baby too. I had awful sickness so I really do empathise but definitely give your midwife a call or you could be quite fatigued and unwell.

Best of luck! 

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now