Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I go to the hospital??

(12 Posts)
Caramellattelady Mon 22-Aug-16 16:21:13

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice/reassurance (although I realise it doesn’t replace an actual doctor’s opinion).

Am 30 weeks today and for the last 24 hours or so my baby has been much less active than usual. That’s not to say there’s been no movement, I’ve felt him kick and roll from time to time and he’s had hiccups a few times, but he’s usually a really really wriggly baby and he’s definitely been quiet. I didn’t feel him once in the night, which is very unusual.

On top of that I have a stitch-like pain kind of under my ribs, just on one side. I’ve had it before but combined with the reduced movement it’s just making me worry a bit.

Other than all of that I feel totally fine.

I have a hospital appointment and ultrasound booked on Thursday morning anyway. Should I wait til then and mention it to them? Should I just assume that now he’s getting bigger he just has less space to wriggle around? Or should I be really worried?

I'm not in the UK so I don't have the option of ringing the EPU like I would if I were there.

LuckySantangelo1 Mon 22-Aug-16 16:23:57

Yep go in. I went in a see times during my pregnancy for reduced movement (baby was fine, just being lazy) and the staff always said to me I should always come in to be monitored if movement reduced or changed pattern. So yes, go!

Lovewatchingrainfall Mon 22-Aug-16 16:27:26

The fact you have asked for advice tells me you are worried and that to put your mind at rest you should go and been seen. Even if they say that baby is fine, just think how you would feel if they said something was wrong and you had left it.

Hope things are okay and baby is just having a lazy day.

bonzo77 Mon 22-Aug-16 16:32:58

Go in. Now. Please. Don't let them
Fob you off with "drink some cold coke and lie down for half an hour".

Luciferbox Mon 22-Aug-16 16:35:17

Go in. If you're worried nothing will put your mind at ease. It's best to be checked out. I went a few times with both DCs.

SolomanDaisy Mon 22-Aug-16 16:38:33

I'd go and get checked out, just in case.

Caramellattelady Mon 22-Aug-16 16:55:31

OK thanks for the advice everyone, I'll go on my way home from work and just get checked.

I feel really silly, I went in a couple of weeks ago after an accident and the baby was all over the place on the ECG - really super active! I felt like a right plonker. And now I feel silly even posting here because I have felt a bit of movement.

But, my insurance will cover it, I'm sure no-one will judge, and better safe than sorry.

Am I right in thinking that hiccups don't count as movement?

WhingyNinja Mon 22-Aug-16 17:07:57

I was 36 weeks and hadn't felt any movement for a good few hours during her usually busy period and was a worried mess, I hotfooted it to the hospital because I would rather look a bit silly than regret doing nothing if the worst did happen.

Go and get yourself checked, please!

With me, I did the ECG, she was bouncing around like crazy but I still couldn't feel anything, she must have got into a funny position.

She's 11mo now and has never stopped bouncing around. smile

Whatsername17 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:58:43

Go in. The pain could be a sign of raised bp.

Nottalotta Mon 22-Aug-16 19:03:06

Yes go. Assume you are there actually looking at the time. I called a few times in my last pregnancy and was always told to go in. Typically on a couple of occasions as soon as I got there, baby started bouncing around like a crazy thing. No one ever minded though.

Caramellattelady Tue 23-Aug-16 09:25:05

Just a quick update, I did go and everything is ok. He's being a bit lazy but looks fine. I feel like a tit, but a reassured one, so that's fine.

On a side note, having never given or witnessed birth, I got quite a shock listening to all the labouring women. Think I've decided against doing it, thanks.

bonzo77 Tue 23-Aug-16 12:51:15

Lovely update. Never feel a tit. All of mine had good outcomes because I went in as soon as their movements changed. Yep, I never really fancied giving birth. Luckily had 3 very civilised caesareans!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now