Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and chickenpox - WWYD?

(8 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 21-Aug-16 19:33:09

I'm in the early stages of pregnancy and my DS has chickenpox. To the best of my knowledge I had a mild case of chickenpox as a child.

I saw a fairly useless out-of-hours GP at the weekend with DS who looked a bit concerned when I said I was pregnant but didn't really offer any constructive advice. confused. DH thinks I should push to get a blood test. I'm not really certain what the risks are to me of being exposed to CP when pregnant?

seven201 Sun 21-Aug-16 19:34:52

My midwife arranged for my existing blood sample to be checked. I Had no idea they could do that! Definitely speak to your midwife.

Dlah Sun 21-Aug-16 19:40:07

Ditto above, the nursery I work in had numerous cases weeks ago, your booking in bloods (if you're far enough along to have had them) can advise if your immune, if not request earlier appointment to sort

Laura05 Sun 21-Aug-16 19:46:38

I was wondering the same thing this week as my sons nursery has chicken pox going round (he hasn't had them yet) From what I've been told, if you've definitely had them then there's a very very small chance of the virus doing any damage as you and your baby will have immunity although if you develop a rash you should definitely get it checked! If you're not sure if you've had them then as op have said you would be best to either get a blood test done or ask if your booking bloods can be checked.

yeahyeahyeahmama Sun 21-Aug-16 19:50:25

I had the same my GP did a blood test to confirm that i have some immunity to chicken pox so all worked out ok - good luck!

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 21-Aug-16 20:01:43

Thanks, helpful advice! I've not had my booking in yet but it sounds like a visit to the GP wouldn't be overkill.

Nikki2ol6 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:08:37

You need to get a blood test to check immunity for chicken pox, you can see the GP or nurse. When I was pregnant with my 3 year old I came into contact with slapped cheek. I was 14 weeks pregnant and googled about it and heard this was the worst time to catch it! So I seen my GP who was useless and wouldn't test me!! I made an app with the nurse In the hope she would test me without the Drs permission. Thankfully she had heard of this and tested me right away! I wasn't immune and could well catch it! So I seen my midwife at 16 weeks and she said they would run a blood test every 4 weeks to see if I did catch it. She said they would test my blood from booking and do a test now. I asked why test my booking blood if my immunity test says I'm not immune but she said I could have still been fighting the virus but that one was negative. My 16 week blood was positive!! I almost lost my little baby. Thankfully I didn't and after 28weeks we were given the all clear X

Bellabelloo Sun 21-Aug-16 21:32:03

I think you are probably a little late as the most infectious time is a few days just before the spots show and until they crust over. If you had it when you were a child you SHOULD be fine. If you're not immune for whatever reason and do get it there is only a very small chance that the baby would be affected. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now