Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I in labour?

(36 Posts)
soph1999 Sat 20-Aug-16 20:47:57

This is my first and I'm so confused...my belly doesn't go rock hard when having pains and the pains aren't excruciating either, I can breath it out. I get a pain that starts in my lower back/top of my bum that then travels round to the bottom of my belly and vagina area. Here are my timings on the contraction app...

ItchyFoot Sat 20-Aug-16 20:49:25

So they're a few hours apart?

soph1999 Sat 20-Aug-16 20:51:33

No, on the left hand side is how long they last and on the right hand side is how many minutes it's been between the pains

DesignedForLife Sat 20-Aug-16 20:52:57

So 3-8 minutes apart lasting roughly 1 min?

Sounds like the start of things, but I had that for two days before DD was born, not much pain though.

How painful are they? If you can mumsnet and speak it's not likely to be established labour in my experience!

ItchyFoot Sat 20-Aug-16 20:55:43

Ah I see. I have baby brain. Yeah sounds like it could be the start but you might have a long way to go yet.

mamapants Sat 20-Aug-16 20:56:38

Could well be.
When is your due date?
Could be braxton hicks could be labour.
How long has it been going on in total

tootsroots Sat 20-Aug-16 20:58:29

How far along are you? I would call up delivery and check in with them .... They never mind a call as can help them
Plan and also give you a bit of advice / comfort.

Heirhelp Sat 20-Aug-16 20:59:17

The general phrase midwives use is if you have to ask you are not in established labour. If you are less than 37 weeks ring the hospital if not get as much sleep as you can.

scoobyloobyloo Sat 20-Aug-16 21:03:46

I nearly had both my babies at home as midwives said I didn't sound in enough pain. Get it checked out.

Good luck

mamapants Sat 20-Aug-16 21:09:56

I progress pretty quickly In labour too scooby
Went from hmmm could this be it too screaming blue murder in about two hours, then another two hours had my baby.

Number4OnTheWay Sat 20-Aug-16 21:11:13

I would say so, phone the midwife for more advice

soph1999 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:28:17

Thankyou everyone, I phoned midwife and going to stay at home and see how things go. Just didn't want to ring up and sound silly or waste her time as it's quite late at night

DesignedForLife Sat 20-Aug-16 21:44:06

Don't worry about it being late at night, if things start to ramp up get checked. Midwife sent me home saying "I'd know" when I was in labour. I got to 10cm at home and wasn't far from delivering at home with DD. If you can't sleep through it/the contractions wake you up go get checked.

soph1999 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:00:12

Thankyou, I definitely will do! My friend got told she wasn't in labour and told to go him, got to the hospital car park and had to rush back in to the building as she nearly had her in the middle of the car park. I just don't want to have a similar situation lol

AddictedtoGreys Sat 20-Aug-16 22:10:11

When is your due date soph? I had some pains like this a couple of weeks ago where there weren't too painful but were coming 5/6/7 mins apart for a couple of hours and then they fizzled out to nothing. I was 36 weeks then. If you are worried at any point though ring the midwife back, that's what she's there for. Good luck grin

soph1999 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:20:49

3rd September! However been getting severe back ache and apparent 'signs' of labour for a while so I'm hoping that these pains aren't false and are still here after if and when I finally get some sleep

Tumtitum Sat 20-Aug-16 22:25:02

I was able to breathe through contractions literally up until the point that we got in the car to go to hospital (had been having contractions for 12 hours at home and only going into hospital then as my waters broke). Then I was climbing the walls and trying not to push until we got to hospital! So don't leave it too late and don't listen to the "if you can talk through it" or "3 contractions in 10 mins for 2 hours" bollocks, I would have had DD at home if I'd applied either of those rules!! However I was a week overdue when I went into labour... How far away is your hospital?

kiki22 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:33:33

I hope you are! I'm currently timing contractions for the 3rd Saturday in a row 😞 hoping this time it turns into labour.

soph1999 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:49:19

My hospital is about a 15/20min car journey if traffic is good but have to pay to go over the bridge as crossing from Cornwall over to Devon then hospital parking so don't want to go in if its false and oh gosh really, I hope you get your cuddles very son!!

kiki22 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:52:47

Its so hard to know when is the right time when you have never done it before this baby is my second however induced with my first so its my first time naturally (if this is even the beginning)

soph1999 Sun 21-Aug-16 07:15:48

Thankyou so much everyone. Isla Rose was born at 5:24am today weighing a healthy 6pound 9 1/4ouncegrin

AddictedtoGreys Sun 21-Aug-16 07:27:12

Congratulations!!!! Not jealous at all grinflowers

leoniethelioness Sun 21-Aug-16 07:50:39

Congratulations!

Afreshstartplease Sun 21-Aug-16 07:54:09

Congrats op ! flowers

Hopefully this will be me in 6+ weeks

SwishySplash Sun 21-Aug-16 08:00:10

Congratulations! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now