Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Buying underwear

(24 Posts)
Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 13:44:42

I usually live in lacy Brazilian style knickers but realise I will need something more comfy for after the birth.

What sort of thing do people recommend? I am guessing black is best and that they will need to fit a considerably large pad in them!

I usually wear a size 8 and have gone up to a 10 while pregnant. Should I buy a 12/14 to give me plenty of room?

I know it's a weird question but can't ask anyone in real life!

NovemberRainbow Fri 19-Aug-16 17:53:42

Yep I went for black last time, I sized up by two sizes. I went for 100% cotton ones so they were breathable.

I also went for the Bridget Jones type ones, so the elastic sat high up on my stomach. Just Incase of c-section, didn't want the elastic rubbing on the wound.

Bleeding was so heavy I often needed two maternity pads, one behind the other and they are huge.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 18:04:25

Thank you!

Not looking forward to wearing them at all!

PotteringAlong Fri 19-Aug-16 18:06:39

Go to primary. Wear big black comfy pants. You are likely to be very bruised as well as having maternity pads in so Brazilian lacy is not going to cut it grin

If buy some 12/14 and some 10/12 for a few weeks after.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 18:40:54

I just don't usually find big pants comfy! I find they ride up or just don't sit right.

Now to tackle the minefield of what to wear at the hospital!

I would like to retain my dignity as much as possible so won't be birthing naked- thinking a pj top.

PeppasNanna Fri 19-Aug-16 19:08:48

I never bought massive sizes. Im normally an 8. Was about a 10 in pregnancy.

You want everything 'held in place' after. Definitely don't want pads moving!

You can get slim maternity pads. I only used big ones for a few days after the birth.

PeppasNanna Fri 19-Aug-16 19:09:46

I wore vest tops in the birthing pool or a nighty out of it.

Paintedhandprints Fri 19-Aug-16 19:25:31

I wore a cheap loose nightdress to give birth in and a nursing sleep bra. Felt it gave me a degree of privacy before I got to the point where I didn't care.
Cheap 5 pack of black cotton pants for a few weeks after birth. Despite how it's portrayed in the movies my shape didn't snap back for about a year until I stopped breastfeeding.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 19:37:40

Thanks everyone.

I've got 2 shirt style nighties, a pair of pj's with vest style top and a soft sports bra. Think that should give me some options.

How does a nightie work if you need a monitor on? From what I've seen they go across your stomach so don't want to be having to hitch it up and be bare bummed for long periods of time!

PotteringAlong Fri 19-Aug-16 21:03:28

i gave birth in what I went into hospital in minus the bottom half.

You will inevitably be bare bummed for a certain amount of time.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 21:23:57

I don't mind at the pushing stage as obviously that's necessary. I'm just not very comfortable with being naked and so want to remain covered as much as possible. I know it may sound daft to some.

YorkieDorkie Fri 19-Aug-16 21:28:49

I had a ridiculous amount of swelling after birth (EMCS) and I'd bought the disposable pants in a HUMONGOUS size and even they weren't big enough! I couldn't stand any pressure on my midriff anywhere so my DH picked up some enormous briefs from Sainsburys. They were white but they went in the bin after 6 weeks when I'd finished with the pads. Back in my usual Brazilians at 7ish weeks smile.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 19-Aug-16 21:38:32

Pants - buy new look pregnancy/maternity pants in a size up - wearing them now 3 days post section and they're much bigger/better than those I had after from dd1 (sainsburys/primark)

Labour - why not wear a breastfeeding/long vest (h&m are good for this) which you could pull up for monitor if needed? If you're on the monitor you'll be on the bed so sheet over your bottom half?

Flisspaps Fri 19-Aug-16 21:47:37

I hate the thought of being been partially clothed in front of others, in labour you might feel as you do now but it is likely that your animalistic brain will take over and you genuinely won't be bothered. I shocked myself but as soon as I was off the PN ward usual shy service resumed!

If you do wear a nightie and need monitoring then you'll have a sheet available to put over your lower half too.

As for pants - Primark, 5 pairs for £2.50ish massive black pants. No need to size up. You can bin/burn them as soon as you're comfortable in your usual pants.

YorkieDorkie Fri 19-Aug-16 22:18:10

A midwife hand expressed milk from my breast because I didn't understand her instructions. Honestly, you will not care about being naked grin.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 22:18:32

I've got some pj bottoms too so if I have to be monitored I will leave them on while the monitor is on. I've already written bare minimum examinations only on my birth plan.

I know it sounds like I'm being a bit of a baby but I have a serious hospital phobia. I had CBT a few years ago which helped massively but I am still very very anxious in that environment which doesn't help for a calm and positive labour! I also have a few autistic tendencies and don't like people touching me or too many people near me at once.

I appreciate in labour I will have to be ok with what ever is needed for safety of baby. However trying to maintain some control over small areas helps me to reduce the anxiety which is important for baby.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 22:19:15

Yorkie I would actually be very likely to punch her in the face. No-one touches me without my consent!

twoundertwowillbefun Fri 19-Aug-16 22:33:04

It's good to have a birthing plan but please don't fixate on it which could stress you out more as it may all have to go out the window depending on the circumstances.

YorkieDorkie Fri 19-Aug-16 22:34:16

Haha there was consent! Please don't knock out the nurses grin.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 19-Aug-16 22:59:36

I understand it might go out of the window and am accepting that baby's safety is the priority.

It just helps minimise the anxiety if I can get wishes such as mimimal physical contact heard.

I have had several internal ultrasounds and the HSG test and have managed ok as long as I can get my views across.

silverfishlondon Wed 24-Aug-16 21:03:12

Maby some pj shorts which are loose and comfy, can come off when necessary.

Husband tells me i was out of control with my nudity in hospital! Stripped off completely as soon as i was admitted. People tried to put gowns on me at various times ( like when a bunch of doctors and anaesthatist were comeing and going) but i coulnt have cared less. I finally put on my pjs to go home in 2 days later!

Dollface136 Thu 25-Aug-16 09:24:45

A nightie and a big pair of knickers is what I am going for having been told that whatever you wear will be pretty ruined by the end of it. Remember you are going to get very very hot during your labour so anything too constricting like long PJ bottoms will make you uncomfortable.

livinginabox Thu 25-Aug-16 10:29:14

I was the same as Silver, once things got going I was pretty much naked.

I vaguely remember them trying to put a gown over me as the wheeled me down the corridor butt naked with my arse in the air but I couldn't have cared less.

Yes to big comfy pants a size bigger depending on how much weight you put on. I would keep you're nighties for after the baby is here and stick to a hospital gown in labour - why ruin your own clothes?!

QforCucumber Thu 25-Aug-16 10:34:42

I had a sports bra and a big shirt style nighty, that was when it was unbuttoned I still felt a little covered with the sports bra on. Pj bottoms would have been a right faff due to them checking dilation etc.
The 5 pack of pants from primark were a godsend and I'm usually lacy shortie types. When you've had episiotomy and stitches and can't sit down then a massive pad and massive pants are the best things ever

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now