Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Frank bleeding early pregnancy

(16 Posts)
MilkyChops Fri 19-Aug-16 05:50:12

I'm about 6 weeks pregnant and I've had alot of frank bleeding overnight. Had some spotting earlier in the week but this was fresh blood. Had some cramps too which is whay woke me up.

Do I just wait for the Midwives to get into work and ring them? Can you self refer to those early pregnancy units?

BugPlaster Fri 19-Aug-16 05:58:15

Are you sure early pregnancy unit won't answer at night?
I had bleeding in early pregnancy, it is worrying whatever the amount but was told that unless it's soaking through pads in no time, no need to rush in to hosp. However, I would phone the unit.

MilkyChops Fri 19-Aug-16 06:06:18

It says online it's open 9am to 12pm. I'll ring the midwives at 9am.

There's nothing you can do if it's the worst so I'll just have to wait it out. It's not knowing that's awful.

BugPlaster Fri 19-Aug-16 06:09:12

I know, so hard. Hope you can rest/comfort yourself in the meantime. My pregnancy turned out fine by the way, early bleeding is so so common.

Poptart27 Fri 19-Aug-16 06:24:44

Sorry, what is "frank bleeding"?

MilkyChops Fri 19-Aug-16 06:26:44

Bright bleeding as opose to blood stained or stale.

Veganmumm Fri 19-Aug-16 09:39:21

Hi, hope you've got through to a midwife by now. I had bright blood at this stage too with two of my three pregnancies and this time the epu did a bloods test and scan and all is fine now (13 weeks) they saw on the scan heamotomas and said that was likely cause and common, at 12 weeks scan they were gone, reabsorbed apparently . Had the odd day of lightish bleeds and before the first bleed a popping feeling! Very unnerving but as I say all looking fine now. Rest is best. Hope all is well xxx

MilkyChops Fri 19-Aug-16 09:41:00

I can't be seen until Tuesday so a nerve wracking weekend ahead.

Whatsername17 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:17:46

I had a bright red bleed at 6 weeks. I decided against calling anyone as I knew from previous experience they wouldn't do anything. Plus, the hospital that houses the epu had mishandled my mmc at 13 weeks so awfully I couldn't face them. I waited it out. The bleeding stopped and then I went to my midwife appointment as normal at 7 weeks 3 days. She arranged an early scan and all was completely fine. I know Tuesday seems forever away. The upshot is this: if the bleeding becomes heavy then you need to prepare yourself for the worst. If it stays light or stops then there is a good chance it is bleeding that has nothing to do with your pregnancy. Take it easy and keep yourself busy. Come and talk on here if you need too. Good luck and fingers crossed it's nothing. flowers

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 19-Aug-16 11:09:52

Don't panic just yet MilkyChops. I had a huge bleed at 6 weeks (soaked through pyjamas), went to the EPU which found a sub chorionic haematoma, but the baby was OK. I had another scan this week and things still looking OK (although some ongoing brown spotting to be expected when getting rid of a clot) - although the SCH has shrunk, I'm not out of the woods yet. Bleeding doesn't always have to mean miscarriage. Have you had any more bleeding since last night?

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 19-Aug-16 11:11:01

I'm coming up to 9 weeks now.

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 19-Aug-16 11:12:12

Also, if it is a SCH, best thing you can possibly do is rest as much as you can, and drink absolutely tonnes of water. Fingers crossed for you flowers

MilkyChops Fri 19-Aug-16 11:34:39

Just a bit of staining now. Got a headache but i think that's from tiredness.

It's just hard because I'm due in work. Not sure whether to go in or stay off until the appointment.

MilkyChops Fri 19-Aug-16 11:35:18

It's really physical work as well not a sit down light duties job.

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 19-Aug-16 11:56:35

Don't go in - you need to rest as much as possible!

Veganmumm Fri 19-Aug-16 11:59:49

I really think you shouldn't be at work, just rest all you can, definitely no heavy work. I hope you stay home and look after yourself x sleep rest and drink lots of water. The midwife I saw didn't seem overly concerned unless I was soaking more than two pads an hour! That seemed a lot to me but reassuring as after my initial popping feeling and a gush of bright red blood, it seemed to tail off. Looking back I think I'd have been better off staying home and resting than rushing to the hospital. All they can do is a scan really but can not even see much more than a blob in the right place, and if it were bad news they can't do anything to stop it. i think you should do nothing but rest until Tuesday x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now