Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just had a scaldingly hot bath, and then remembered that isn't safe during pregnancy

(18 Posts)
EreniTheFrog Thu 18-Aug-16 20:01:46

11 weeks. My head is all over the place, and I'm feeling horribly emotional, with crippling tiredness that had kept me virtually housebound for weeks and constant, constant nausea. I ran myself a ridiculously hot bath because it's something that usually makes the non-pregnant me feel better, and I then stewed in it for almost an hour, topping up the water each time it began to cool. I came out so warm that I had to lie down naked to cool off for about ten minutes. And then I remembered: that wasn't safe.

I'm now paranoid that I have harmed my baby and/or will miscarry. I'm not asking for reassurance because I know that nobody on here can provide that, but I need a rant.

Marshpillow Thu 18-Aug-16 20:33:39

I used to occasionally have hot baths when pregnant with DD, she's 16 months now and she's fine. A one off hot bath probably won't do any harm smile

EreniTheFrog Thu 18-Aug-16 20:36:15

Thanks. Am all panicky.

mellowyellow1 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:36:38

I too had plenty of hot baths and DD is fine!

cookielove Thu 18-Aug-16 20:37:38

I had hot baths all through pregnancy, i asked the midwives how hot was too hot they could never tell me confused anyway ds is 2 and perfectly perfect!

EreniTheFrog Thu 18-Aug-16 20:39:52

I realise that IABU probably. I'm just having a bad day, I'm sure.

Mishaps Thu 18-Aug-16 20:42:45

There are millions of women over the centuries who have tried to get rid of a pregnancy with a hot bath - and of course failed! So that particular old wives' tale is knocked on the head! Please try not to worry - lots of women in early pregnancy are inclined to worry. You are just having a Worry Day!

Firsttimer82 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:44:34

I had a hot bath everyday and sat on a hotwater bottle for most of my pregnancy to ward off the nausea! It gets better. Hang on in there xx

Firsttimer82 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:44:53

LO is 8months and normal! x

elliej83 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:45:29

I didn't know I was pregnant at 11 weeks and having a hot bath every day and I'm now 31 weeks strong smile

Motherwithflaws Thu 18-Aug-16 20:46:32

I spent half my pregnancies in hot baths, you'll be fine. Try not to worry.

Whatsername17 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:46:50

You need a big slice of cake and a hug. Agree with pp that you shouldn't worry. cake

Missgraeme Thu 18-Aug-16 20:47:15

Not recommended in later stage as can actually raise babys temperature.

EreniTheFrog Thu 18-Aug-16 20:48:38

Thanks for the cake

Trifleorbust Thu 18-Aug-16 20:53:55

I bloody love hot baths. I think the only danger point is you severely overheating, and you would get out before that happened because you would be really uncomfortable.

thecatsarecrazy Thu 18-Aug-16 22:03:54

I didn't know this or not sleeping on your back was a thing with my last 2 pregnancy's and they were fine

anonnnnnn3366 Thu 18-Aug-16 22:10:58

I only like boiling hot baths, all 4 of my pregnancies have been fine so I really wouldn't worry

EreniTheFrog Fri 19-Aug-16 11:48:13

Thanks all. I saw the MW this morning, and whereas she couldn't guarantee any reassurance, she was kind and listened to my worries. Kids are off to holiday club today, so I think I will head back to bed for a bit..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now