Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Packed the weight on and worrying

(17 Posts)
Captainkanga Mon 15-Aug-16 16:06:26

I'm 27 weeks pregnant with my first and I've put on two stone already blush I'm absolutely mortified especially since a pregnant colleague is 32 weeks and has only put on a stone so far and looks at me like I'm a massive whale!

My diet hasn't been that bad, it's just I'm constantly starving and feel sick if I'm not eating. I'm really worried about how much more I'm going to put on especially now I'm going into the third trimeseter, and how the hell im going to get it all back off again once the baby arrives!!

44PumpLane Mon 15-Aug-16 16:12:05

I honestly wouldn't worry about anyone else, we're all different.

Try and get out and about for little walks when you can so that you know you're keeping the blood pumping and then once you've had baby you can think about it then.

I'm pregnant with twins but have no idea what I've put on (as I've been away on hols for nearly 3 weeks) but I'm certainly not going to worry about it- as long as every meal isn't fried sausage and chips and fried mars bars you're probably doing fine!

fruityb Mon 15-Aug-16 16:13:27

You won't be able to eat much in the coming weeks due to the baby making your stomach smaller. I ate and ate at around 25 weeks but after that I struggle to eat a whole meal now, and I love my food!

Just watch what you do eat and remember it's not all fat you're putting on, it's fluid, baby, placenta, extra everything.

I've gained two and a half and I'm 39 weeks. I'll worry about getting it off when baby is here. I look positively hippo like next to my SIL who is 21 weeks and has a bump like I did at 15 lol. We all carry differently!

Whatsername17 Mon 15-Aug-16 16:25:04

Just make healthy choices going forward and do a little exercise. I agree with everyone else. Just enjoy being pregnant and try not to worry.

fruityb Mon 15-Aug-16 16:43:56

Move when you can - even just little walks to the shop.

Pregnancy = being tons bigger than you were! It's not real weight gain is the way I look at it. You're growing a human! And don't compare yourself to anyone, it just makes you feel like you are.

I keep a ton of fruit on hand. I've probably eaten a ton of bananas in my pregnancy! And babybels. And take on plenty of fluids as it could be thirst that's causing the hunger pangs.

lostoldlogin2 Mon 15-Aug-16 17:18:10

I put on 4 stone.
11.5 stone the day before birth.
10 stone the day after.
7.5 stone when my son was 7 months.
Breastfeeding. Best.diet.ever.
Now about 4 monhs pregnant and 9 stone (from 8.5 as had put on muscle mass) and looking forward to the Big tits small everything else look again in a years time. Relax!

FreeButtonBee Mon 15-Aug-16 17:25:56

I put on over 5st with my twins and at least 4 with my DS2. Lost it all easily. Lots of buggy walks. Breastfeeding does help but isn't necessarily - my bottle feeding friend were similar. I have zero self control when PG as I feel sick constantly.

Apart from a bit of a mum tum:stretch marksand a tiny c section overhang from section no2, I have been pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong. Am never going to be a bikini model but for a 30something mother of 3 it's all okay.

Personally I believe your body needs what it needs. Worry about it at 6m poet birth.

quitecrunchy Mon 15-Aug-16 20:02:28

I hear you kanga. At 39 weeks I've put on over 3 stone (was targeting 25 lb max due to starting BMI of 28). There just doesn't seem to be any arguing with constantly ravenous. Sadly the third trimester reduction in appetite did not happen for me!

Passes OP a slice of cake and waddles over to the weight loss board to check out baby weight threads.

pinkieandperkie Mon 15-Aug-16 20:08:04

I think every woman is different with pregnancy weight gain. I put on four stone with each of my three dc but my sister only gained two stone.

Farfromtheusual Mon 15-Aug-16 20:11:05

You're no alone OP... I'm exactly the same as quitecrunchy though my starting BMI was 30 blush

You may find, like me, that you don't actually put on that much during your 3rd trimester, I put most of my weight on right at the very beginning (it was xmas so it was allowed lol) and then I didn't put anything on for a good few weeks, then packed it on towards the end of the second trimester and since then not a lot more. Just think how much of that weight is the baby, placenta, blood, amniotic fluid etc, which will all be gone when baby gets here. No point stressing about it...everytime I moan I'm fat my DP gets mad and tells me no, you're pregnant not fat!

Captainkanga Mon 15-Aug-16 20:44:34

Thanks everyone smile it's just so disheartening when I've tried to be as good as possible! I'm going to stop beating myself up and deal with it after Christmas - nice one November baby! dives head first into Jaffa cakes box

fruityb Mon 15-Aug-16 21:29:55

I've been good but I'm still carrying big! I was always going to. Bump goes absolutely rock hard if I eat too much which is horribly uncomfortable.

See what you're dealing with when baby is out. Enjoy the Jaffa cakes

GingerbreadGingerbread Mon 15-Aug-16 21:32:05

Don't worry too much about the weight just try and keep to healthy choices where you can you'll get it off afterwards when you're fit enough to exercise and be careful with portion sizes but I wouldn't worry about it until after you've given birth.

Dixiechick17 Mon 15-Aug-16 21:33:28

I put on four stone, wasn't that bad with eating either. I had lost two stone by the time my DD was ten days old, was down by three stone when she was six weeks old and a further half a stone when she was three months old. Am just four pounds off my booking in weight and she's 14 months, but I wasn't bothered by that last bit tbh.

CarrotVan Tue 16-Aug-16 11:08:27

I put on 3 and a half stone with DS1 and it took me a year to lose it despite breast feeding a glutton for 14 months. He was 9lbs and my breasts went from a DD to a J so the weight gain wasn't that surprising. Plus I had really bad SPD so basically couldn't do anything in the last trimester except eat kit kats.

At no point after booking in did anyone mention my weight or express any concern at all. I really wouldn't worry about it.

I'm 17 weeks now and have put on 8lbs which is about what the guidelines recommend but that will start shooting up as the SPD kicks in more and more

crayfish Tue 16-Aug-16 11:34:33

I was four stone heavier at the end of my pregnancy. Four stone!! Even three months later I still had about three to lose but I was underweight to begin with,so nobody seemed bothered. By the time he was ten months I had lost it all through diet and exercise. I wouldn't worry about it but do try to lose it afterwards because it just gets harder as you get older and if you have more kids.

With me I just ate to much and went from being very active to being a couch potato. Nobody to blame but myself.

fruityb Tue 16-Aug-16 14:42:02

Will add I've been weighed twice - once at 12 week scan and once at 36 weeks when I had a growth scan. Nothing was mentioned about weight gain at all as my BMI was fine at the start. I don't believe in BMI anyway.

Baby is due any day now and I'm more interested in getting the fluid off my feet and fingers so I can wear shoes and my rings again!! I'm expecting biblical water loss lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now