Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swimming in the sea

(14 Posts)
Chemistria Sun 14-Aug-16 09:30:31

Hi ladies

What advice have people been given RE swimming in the sea while pregnant? I've looked online and found loads of stories of women saying they've been advised its fine but that's mainly America (Warner seas maybe??)

I'm 18 weeks today. Thanks in advance.

On holiday in Cornwall and it's calling me in.....

dementedpixie Sun 14-Aug-16 10:12:01

I've never heard that you should avoid it

SkyLucy Sun 14-Aug-16 10:12:01

I say go for it! I'm 14 weeks and enjoyed a lovely swim off the south coast last weekend. I was in Cornwall when I was 6 weeks pg and was too nervous to swim (had no evidence either way, was just scared - first pregnancy!), but now I've had a scan I felt confident enough to brave the waters. It wasn't freezing, and I really enjoyed it - only benefits, I'd say!

ElodieS Sun 14-Aug-16 10:24:19

Can't see any reason at all why this would be a problem, I've been swimming in the sea in both my pregnancies and really enjoyed it! Go for it and have a great time.

Winegumaddict Sun 14-Aug-16 11:24:37

I've never heard anything about it but just got back from holiday and I went body boarding at 5.5 months. I wasn't very good as my bump got in the way but I had a great time.

BeBopTalulah Sun 14-Aug-16 12:57:56

When I was around 6 weeks I spent every other day swimming in the ocean on holiday. To be fair I didn't actually think to research it, but my mum said it would be fine and she's always right

DesignedForLife Sun 14-Aug-16 17:28:37

If it's a safe beach to swim at, go for it!

BeardMinge Sun 14-Aug-16 18:10:07

I swam in the sea both here, in France and in Greece during my pregnancy, absolutely fine. If you can cope with the temperature then your baby will be fine.

LondonRoo Mon 15-Aug-16 23:48:18

If it's clean water them it's probably safe enough especially for taking a quick dip. I enjoy open water swimming but can tell you there's no way I would swim in a lake or river right now (infection risk) but a clean beach is far safer.

Pigeonpost Tue 16-Aug-16 00:03:38

Eh? That's a new one on me and I've had 3 DC. I live in Cornwall though and the sea is bleddy freezing so bear that in mind...

Chemistria Sat 03-Sep-16 21:31:36

Hi all sorry I took so long to reply, I did go for a dip in the end smile think a midwife told me it was unsafe before and that stuck in my head. Thanks for your replies x

ConvincingLiar Sat 03-Sep-16 23:07:19

I think the Dead Sea is forbidden due to the minerals but Cornwall would be fine.

PGPsabitch Sun 04-Sep-16 10:28:50

Never heard that one before. Sure your midwife wasn't confused and worried you could swallow sea water? That could make you dehydrated and sick.

PGPsabitch Sun 04-Sep-16 10:29:50

Ah seen your update, glad you enjoyed it 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now