Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Missed my 20 week scan !

(11 Posts)
helzaba Sat 13-Aug-16 21:26:06

I'm not sure what happened but for some reason both me and my partner had Monday for our next scan, we've double checked the time and it was on Friday sad does anyone know how long it will take to get another booked ? We've both had to use holidays at work for the time off and are very unlikely to get anymore time off until maternity leave very stressed now sad

rabbitmummy Sat 13-Aug-16 21:43:59

You are entitled to time off for antenatal appointments...your employers have to respect that!
Phone your midwife and explain the situation tomorrow, she might be able to get you in quicker. If not then phone the department on Monday and hopefully they'll have an appointment in the not too distant future.

TwoLittleBlooms Sat 13-Aug-16 22:01:57

You are legally entitled to paid time off for antenatal care, be it scans or mw appointments (or anything else related to antenatal medical care) and you do not have to use holidays for it (your partner will though). Hope you manage to get another scan appointment soon.

twoundertwowillbefun Sat 13-Aug-16 22:03:29

Agree with pp - you 'have' to be given reasonable time off for antenatal appointments, however your OH might not be able to join you if his work is that strict. Please don't use leave to cover these appointments as you will can accrue this to tag to your maternity leave which can be such a big help! I had to change my 20 scan appointment as I was going to a hen do hmm so I called the hospital directly and made the change quickly that way....

NerrSnerr Sat 13-Aug-16 22:05:43

As others have said you're allowed reasonable time off for appointments.

FuzzyOwl Sat 13-Aug-16 22:09:26

Surely both of you can go into work as normal on Monday and reclaim that day's holiday? Your partner is allowed two unpaid antenatal appointments and, if this is your first baby, you are allowed up to ten paid ones (seven if subsequent one).

I agree about calling the hospital first thing Monday and hopefully there will be a cancellation or not long to wait for a new scan date.

UnicornPee Sat 13-Aug-16 22:23:11

I would just turn up on Monday as though you still believe it's that date. Then when they say you have the wrong date explain how it's the only date in ages you can both have off I'm sure they will fit you in. They are not chock full all day as they keep times spare for any emergencies or ones that take longer etc

helzaba Sat 13-Aug-16 22:24:41

Thanks ladies m, the thing is we both booked a week off as we thought scan Monday, shopping through the week and then our lo is one on Saturday so the holidays are confirmed! Just have to hope they've got a cancellation in for next week. Just can't believe we've both managed to get the wrong date sad

FuzzyOwl Sat 13-Aug-16 22:59:06

If you can't get an appointment this week you should be able to get an anomaly scan if you go privately, so at least you will be able to have all the routine checks done during your week off and you can both attend.

TwoLittleBlooms Sun 14-Aug-16 01:01:51

Just for future antenatal appointments and time off work - this link gives you details for your rights to time off for antenatal care.

FuzzyOwl - that number is the standard amount of appointments if you will likely have just going off midwife appointments and scans and pregnancy is straightforward. ALL antenatal appointments should be paid time even if you require more than the standard.

FuzzyOwl Sun 14-Aug-16 09:28:10

Two if a doctor writes a note (sometimes acceptable from a midwife) you can have as many appointments as you need. But not all antenatal appointments will be paid for - as it doesn't always include something like antenatal aqua during work time which is very much discretionary unless, as said, you have a letter of recommendation from a hcp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now