Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

All day morning sickness advice

(17 Posts)
FredFlintstonesSister Thu 11-Aug-16 12:49:17

I'm about 7 weeks pregnant with DC number 2 and have had terrible all day nausea since week 5. I'm only actually sick once or twice a day but feel dreadful all the time, even when I wake up during the night. I'm on holiday at the moment but due to go back to work on Wednesday. Hardly leaving the house at the moment and can't see how I'm going to manage. Feel like I'm being a terrible mother to DD too. Any advice would be very welcome. I had morning sickness with DD but not nearly as bad as this!

yeOldeTrout Thu 11-Aug-16 12:52:22

Have you experimented with cutting certain foods out?
I became lactose intolerant in my pregnancies, so I puked less if I avoided milk.

bobbinpop Thu 11-Aug-16 12:56:36

No real advice, but I had the same and it was awful. The only thing that helped was lying really still! Not useful for work or looking after children, I know! I found sucking travel sweets, eating oranges and drinking cold lucozade helped me to feel better.

ASAS Thu 11-Aug-16 12:59:04

Try those travel sickness wristbands. Ginger nuts?

Congratulations BTW.

FredFlintstonesSister Thu 11-Aug-16 13:05:16

YeOldTrout I already have some food intolerances including lactose so am quite careful about what I eat usually. Bobbinpop lying very still is also working for me! ASAS I ate all the ginger things first time I was pregnant and haven't been able to look at ginger since!

toffeeboffin Thu 11-Aug-16 13:10:44

Have you tried eating when you feel sick? Usually makes it better.

Pearlman Thu 11-Aug-16 13:31:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iwillbemrsminty Thu 11-Aug-16 16:02:12

Ice lollies. They helped me get fluids down. Urgh it's so grim. I had to ask for help in the end and was put in Phenergan.

FaithAscending Thu 11-Aug-16 16:04:01

I second ice lollies, they settled my stomach enough that I could eat and drink.

ScandiManny Thu 11-Aug-16 16:13:51

Also 7 weeks here, with DC3, and up until a few days ago I was suffering awful all day nausea and throwing up a few times a day. I had to phone in sick to work last week because I could barely function due to the nausea, couldn't eat and was utterly miserable. Since Monday I've been taking 10mg of vit B6 three times a day and though I'm still vommitting first thing in the morning, the nausea has improved hugely and I'm managing plain foods. Still suffering nausea on and off but it's so much more manageable than before.

Obviously I'd rather not be taking anything (folic acid etc aside) in pregnancy but studies have shown at the recommended dose it poses no increased risk of major malformation. Have added a screen shot from the pregnancy sickness support website. I am going to try and just take 2 tomorrow though and see if that's manageable.

SpecialStains Thu 11-Aug-16 17:40:21

Hello, feel free to pop over to the hyperemesis support thread. If your vomiting and nausea is bad, go and chat to a friendly gp as there are medications that can help and are very safe.

Do get proper medical advice on anything you take though - NICE guidelines state not to take pyroxidine for pregnancy sickness, though the NHS guidelines are a bit contradictory.

Ice cold water, flat coca-cola, tinned fruit juice and fizzy water are commonly recommended on the HG thread. Sucking on ice cubes can also be helpful, and don't beat yourself up if you can only manage beige carbohydrates for a while. Babies are parasites and will take what they need from you!

Hoping this finishes soon for you. Pregnancy sickness really sucks.

FredFlintstonesSister Thu 11-Aug-16 18:36:11

Thanks for the support and help. Thinking i might try to see GP about it as really debilitating. I'm also permanently shivery and my mouth is full of bubbly saliva (ew!). Definitely all much worse than the first time round.

SnugglySnerd Thu 11-Aug-16 19:18:01

I was about to post almost the same thread. I'm also 7 weeks and certain I didn't feel this bad first time round. I'm starving but can't think of anything I could eat. I'm even struggling to drink anything except warm boiled water.
I've heard eating little and often can help so I've bought plain biscuits (rich teas and cream crackers) to snack on. I know that's not very healthy but they get me through feeling ok enough to eat proper meals.
Hope you feel better soon.

thecatsarecrazy Thu 11-Aug-16 19:39:46

I'm 15 weeks and still suffering. If it gets bad have a word with your g.p. He gave me some tablets and they have worked wonders for me. Unfortunately he only gave me 10 tho

SlinkyB Thu 11-Aug-16 19:45:42

I agree with what SpecialStains has said. Please don't suffer unnecessarily; make an appt to see your GP.

I had borderline undiagnosed HG with dc1, and full-blown HG with dc2. Was practically bedridden for six weeks when are it's peak, and poor 2.5yo ds1 was palmed off on relatives as much as possible. He soon forgave me, and loves having a little brother now (they're 5 and 2 now).

Best wishes.

candykane25 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:49:54

I think there is a hyperemesis gravidarum thread that might be useful.
Eat lots of melon if keeping diwn folic acid is a problem and it's also hydrating.
Sip water all day. Keep rich tea biscuits or ginger biscuits next to the bed and nibble them before you get out of bed in the morning.
I was in hospital on a drip by 8 weeks as I got so dehydrated. I then took anti sickness tablets for the majority of my pregnancy.

LifeGotInTheWay Thu 11-Aug-16 19:53:24

Massive sympathy, I remember all the running to the toilets at work and just wanting to sit on the cold bathroom tiles with my cheek on the floor and not move an inch.

Fizzy water was ok and definitely beige carbs and salty foods. Ritz crackers were good and they're tiny so nibbling one doesn't feel like the biggest task in the world. Marks and Spencer do a lovely cracker range, cracked black pepper etc and they're salty and tasty without actually eating very much at all, they helped me, kept a load on my desk and just nibbled absolutely continuously, apart from when actually being sick grin

Really feel for you. I was still having be sick at the side of the road for six months and took crackers everywhere with me. Somehow the salt made them better than biscuits.

And jacket potatoes were the only bigger thing I could manage in the daytime for a loooong time.

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now