Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swollen/puffy legs in pregnancy

(3 Posts)
newbirds Mon 08-Aug-16 19:52:40

Did anyone else's legs noticeably swell up in pregnancy? I'm 31+5 and my legs don't look like mine any more - my ankles and lower legs especially are so swollen/puffy they look almost stuck on! confused

I've never known anything like it. It's not an area where I usually gain weight either, but at the moment it's so bad I've gone very suddenly from size 10 to size 16 maternity jeans, and size 5 to size 7 in shoes. blush

I've had some mild puffiness throughout the pregnancy but on Sunday when I woke up it was especially bad so I did call my midwife who checked my BP and urine to put my mind at ease. Everything was fine, so it looks like I'm just unlucky - and very puffy! I'm drinking 2-3 litres of water everyday, soaking in a warm bath with Epsom salts for 20 mins, walking daily, sitting with my feet up as much as possible... but nothing seems to relieve it.

Any fellow sufferers on here with any tips?

MyGreenSofa Mon 08-Aug-16 20:03:17

I had terrible swelling in feet, ankles and legs for probably nearly the last half of my pregnancy. Lucky it was summer and I could just wear flip flops! I don't have any tips I'm afraid - just try and keep them elevated! My feet never went back to the same size either - I've stayed a shoe size bigger!

Baz13 Fri 12-Aug-16 13:14:29

My legs swell badly in pregnancy- this is my third pregnancy (29 weeks) and this time I have one leg that swells more than the other- I have been tested for dvt as the leg is considerably more swollen than the other one and very painful (all clear, just severe oedema). I drink plenty of water like yourself, rest them when I can (which due to the summer holidays and having two children aged 12 and 7 we are not inside that much, especially when the weather is good). I also find the hot weather isn't the best for swelling legs- I have also brought shoes a few sizes bigger than my normal size and found spongy flip flops the most comfortable.

I get my dh to massage my feet every night and this does seem to relieve a bit of pressure as my ankles, and calf area are so painful that I can't flex them sad I also soak them in a bowl of lukewarm water (sometimes I find the cooler water a tad better and more soothing; especially after a hot day).

Hope your feet don't get to painful and swollen and that you find a good solution- if you do please share ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now