Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PCOS & Pregnant

(6 Posts)
HR313 Sun 07-Aug-16 12:37:16

To my amazement and shock, I discovered I am pregnant several days ago (tested 9 days after AF was due). I took several tesco cheapies and a clear blue which confirmed I was 3+ weeks. However, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14, which was nearly 12 years ago and I have read that this increases the risk of miscarriage and really not sure whether I need to book an apt with my GP sooner rather than later to check hCG /progesterone levels? Whilst this is a surprise, it's a very much wanted baby (my partner and I have been together for 9 years). Not sure what to do! Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

Namenamenamename Sun 07-Aug-16 13:27:59

Congratulations! I have PCOS and am currently pregnant with my fourth.
I have also had several miscarriages but wasn't given any different advice or treatment to anyone else in early pregnancy.
Perhaps a chat with the GP would be a good thing as I've never been medicated so advice might be different if you have.
Good luck and congrats again!

HR313 Sun 07-Aug-16 15:09:10

Thank you! You too! That's really reassuring to hear. I'm not currently on medication either, although was on metformin when I was around 16 but stopped taking due to side effects. The last time I spoke to the GP she said as I have regular cycles it probably wouldn't be too difficult conceiving (she was definitely right about that!) Thinking I might hold off on appointment for now and maybe phone GP in a few weeks time.

Namenamenamename Sun 07-Aug-16 15:45:47

Thank you. Enjoy your pregnancy and try not to worry too much, my first pregnancy is now almost 18 years old and thinking about uni. Good luck.

LondonStill83 Sun 07-Aug-16 21:40:21

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with PCOS. Like you, I had no trouble conceiving.

I panicked at the beginning and wanted progesterone, but didn't meet the clinical criteria. All has of course been absolutely fine hormonally. There isn't actually any strong evidence to indicate that progesterone makes any difference for PCOS when a normal conception has occurred.

That said, I had to have a cervical stitch put in at 15 weeks (planned due to history), they had given me progesterone since then as it prevents the uterus from contracting early...

LittleLionMansMummy Sun 07-Aug-16 23:04:05

Congratulations!

I struggled to conceive ds1 for more than 2 years. He's now 5.5yo and a very easy pregnancy. 25 weeks with no.2 and likewise no problems - and conceived easily this time (3 months!) despite being an 'older' mum at 37 now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now