Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doppler

(17 Posts)
DebieS Sat 06-Aug-16 23:44:58

Has anyone tried a Doppler first trimester?

My husband bought one today and we think we could hear the heartbeat. I'm 10wks today, is it possible to hear early on?

Whatsername17 Sun 07-Aug-16 09:43:52

It's more effective from 14 weeks. When I searched for baby's heartbeat at 14 weeks I found the placenta first and could hear the blood flow. It's more like a rhythmic wooshing sound and it is in time with your heartbeat. The baby's heartbeat will be much faster - between 140-180 bpm. I always count for 10 seconds then times by 6 because it can be so fast you can lose count.

Namenamenamename Sun 07-Aug-16 13:44:35

I found it at 10 weeks and actually found it much easier at that point because the heart beat is so fast.
I'm 22 weeks now and don't really use it anymore as baby is really active.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 07-Aug-16 19:11:46

I found the hb at 10 weeks with my first and earlier with my second. I'm 8 weeks now and haven't found it yet this time. As long as you don't get too worried or panicked if you can't find it. I lent mine to a friend when she was 16 weeks and she tried unsuccessfully for 5 or 6 weeks and never found it.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 07-Aug-16 19:13:24

Also, be careful it's not ypur own hb you're hearing as theres a major artery running along your pubic bone. The babys hb will sound very fast, like a train or galloping horse. If you look at youtube there are loads of videos showing how to do it and what it should sound like smile

SpaceDinosaur Sun 07-Aug-16 19:20:59

Please please please don't rely on your ability to interpret a Doppler. It's medical equipment and an untrained person using it is like an untrained person doing electrics. You might get lucky but you wouldn't rely on it.

If you're using it for "fun" then that's probably one thing. If you're ever worried about baby then always go to your midwife, don't rely on your ability to find baby's "heartbeat" (most people find the placenta)

Every midwife I know finds how public using Dopplers really worrying. There was recently some work done to discourage people buying them. (See attached pic)

I am not a midwife. I am currently 20wks pg and would love to hear my baby at will but I'm not buying a Doppler because I know I'd use it (probably wrongly and just hear the placenta) to reassure myself if baby was "quiet" and that's when you need to talk to your midwife.

Sorry to be a killjoy sad

PotteringAlong Sun 07-Aug-16 19:24:15

spacedinosaur you just said everything I wanted to say.

Pack up the Doppler, return it and enjoy your pregnancy.

coolpotato Sun 07-Aug-16 19:33:41

Agree with pp, there is a reason why a lot of midwives don't search for heartbeat until at least 16-18 weeks, because even they can sometimes find it difficult to locate (placenta in way, how baby is lying etc). They don't want to cause unnecessary concern or anxiety if they struggle to find it.

Put the Doppler away, enjoy the pregnancy and let the professionals do their job when the time is right.

Titchypanda Mon 08-Aug-16 08:17:35

I have decided against a Doppler for the reasons space dinosaur mentioned. I'm 16w and waiting to hear heartbeat. I haven't felt movements or such but probably too early. My sister had a Doppler and used it all the time for reassurance. She had an anterior placenta and didn't feel movements or kicks so for her it was a reassurance thing. She admits now she was a bit too reliant on it and might not be a good thing to have. At the end of the day it's personal choice. If you have one, use it sparingly and if you're worried contact the midwife or local epau.

Desmondo2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 08:28:23

Ahh there's such a lot of negativity around dopplers. I found my baby at 10+6 having tried a couple times in the week before that. Don't get hung up on not finding it... no medical professional will be interested if you can't find it this early EVEN if you previously found it. Just enjoy it as a toy and nothing more. And don't use it for reassurance later on as the presence of a hb does not automatically mean everything is dandy in the face of other symptoms or concerns.

Lalalala2015 Mon 08-Aug-16 08:49:50

I have one and found the heartbeat at 10 weeks but not the first time I tried and not everytime.

I'm 14 weeks and use it about once a week now, I'll probably use it less when I start feeling baby move. Although sometimes I think I do feel movement but that's probably another topic!

Whatsername17 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:53:30

I think you need to keep it all in perspective. Presence of a heartbeat doesn't mean everything is fine, but if, like me, you have suffered a miscarriage it can give you a feeling of 'well I'm 14/15/16 weeks, there is a heartbeat. 3 weeks until the next scan/appointment.' Mine has just helped me to get to the next appointment without the anxiety gremlin in my head sending me crazy. I have had no reason to think anything is wrong at all and if I did I'd contact the professionals rather than use the doppler. I agree with everyone who says not to use it as a diagnostic tool. If you feel something is wrong, see your midwife or gp.

DebieS Tue 09-Aug-16 18:41:20

Thanks for all the input.

I didn't get it for reassurance. It was more a 'OMG there is a tiny human growing inside me' it's taken us 10years to get here so I wanted to hear a heartbeat.

I would definitely call my GP or midwife if I thought something was up.

Again thanks for the replies flowersflowers

Laura05 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:41:21

I was thinking of getting one so that my two dc could hear their baby's heartbeat? With DS I took DD to appointments and scans etc but she was 3 1/2 where as my DS is under 2 so don't think he'll understand. Do you all think they're a bad idea? Going to get books etc to try explain to DS and he's getting a baby and buggy for Xmas even though dh isn't happy about it lol

Vixxfacee Wed 10-Aug-16 09:17:48

I agree with pp's. I'm almost 16 weeks and have not seen anyone for 3 weeks and won't see anyone until my 20 week scan. My stomach is pretty flat and I can't feel any movements. After having a miscarriage and conceiving this baby via ivf I am very anxious. I got the doppler a few days ago. I found the heartbeat straight away and it really reassu

Vixxfacee Wed 10-Aug-16 09:18:17

Really reassured me. I wouldn't rely on it once I can start to feel movement.

iwillbemrsminty Wed 10-Aug-16 10:19:11

I used a doppler from just under 10 weeks, which was too early really. It reassured me since a miscarriage earlier on in the year. When I say it reassured me, it did just that when I could find the heartbeat but on a couple of occasions when I couldn't find the HB, it created a big meltdown each time thinking I'd lost my baby and that is why it is not recommended. I'm now 14 weeks and found out at 12 week scan that I'm having twins, but haven't used it since as I am being scanned very regularly so don't feel the need to. So, good points and bad points but it's the bad ones that will really make you worry. Will you worry more if you can't always find the HB?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now