Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

'Keflex' (Cefalexin) during pregnancy

(7 Posts)
Morwenna1 Fri 05-Aug-16 14:09:20

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of taking the antibiotic 'Keflex' (Cefalexin) whilst being pregnant? I'm 39 weeks and Amoxicillin has failed to clear up a UTI (took full course as instructed). This is the second UTI I've had whilst pregnant, and Amoxicillin sorted it out the first time round...I also am one of those women who don't get any symptoms with my UTI's during pregnancy! (So it's only been picked up at random when the sample got sent to the lab).

I've now been prescribed Keflex but the side effects sound pretty nasty (diarrhea anyone?). I've been told it's completely safe to take, but just wondered if anyone had first hand experience.

I'll be telling the hospital of course if I go into labour, does anyone know what, if anything they'll do? Thanks in advance!

Nevlet Fri 05-Aug-16 14:48:41

Keflex is the only antibiotic I can take that has no effect on my digestive system... Allergic to amoxicillin/penicillin and everything else they have ever tried has given me a horrendous upset stomach. I luckily haven't needed them while PG but have never had any issue with Keflex the times I have taken it in the past.

Hope you get on equally well with it.

Morwenna1 Fri 05-Aug-16 15:29:18

Thanks Nevlet! Great to get your feedback on this. I recognise you from the threads I've been on - went quiet as I just couldn't keep up with them! Hope you're well! smile

CatherineDeB Fri 05-Aug-16 15:38:56

I took this forces long time. I can't remember how long my full strength treatment was for now but I took a low dose, for two years constantly (chronic pylenophritis) - I wasn't pregnant but I didn't have any gastric issues/side effects.

I hope you get in OK with it and start to feel better.

DesignedForLife Fri 05-Aug-16 16:50:22

I've had it in both my pregnancies. Much gentler on digestive system than amoxicillin for me, also less likely to give me thrush. It can smell though, not fun if you're suffering morning sickness, but hopefully you're well past that stage!

Nevlet Fri 05-Aug-16 17:00:06

Hi mor I know I struggle to keep up too now! Hope you are well... We are nearly there!

Whitelisbon Fri 05-Aug-16 17:17:11

I had it a couple of times during both of my last 2 pregnancies. Didn't have any issues with it at all, and babies were all fit and healthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now