Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Timing of a 3rd baby

(15 Posts)
Queazy Tue 02-Aug-16 14:40:49

Hi

I'd really welcome some views. I have a 2yo and a 6mo, and one day would like a 3rd child. Not right now due to tricky job situation, but in the next couple of years. Am I mad?! Do you think there's a good age gap to go for between 2nd and 3rd children?

I'm very aware it might not happen, as we tried for some time for our 1st. I feel lucky to have two children, but just think I'd like to give it a shot. I'm 37yo this year, so don't want to leave it too long.

Alwaysinahurrynow Tue 02-Aug-16 14:44:24

I'm 7 months with Dc3. DS1 is 3.8 years and DS2 1.9 years. Lots of people saying I'm mad to have such a small range, but i'm also 37 so was worried if we waited much longer.

Msqueen33 Tue 02-Aug-16 14:53:50

I've got three. 7,6 and 3. I've found three a hard number as the older two are best friends. I'd say close gaps so they're all into the same stuff and also I'd either stick at two or go to four. Three for us hasn't worked out at all.

WordGetsAround Tue 02-Aug-16 14:56:41

I've got 5 and 3 year old who will be 6 and 4 (just) when DC3 is born. Then hoping for DC4 2 years later, so going for a 2 + 2 thing. If we had wanted 3, I think we'd have got on with it sooner to avoid what PP described.

DollyBarton Tue 02-Aug-16 15:00:02

I'm identical to Alwaysinahurry. DC3 just started sitting up and sleeping through last weekend and it's amazing how much that has helped everything. It is very hard have 3 so close together it I'm really excited for the future. There have been hellish patches, not least being pregnant (and sick as a dog for months) while managing a 2.5yr old and less than 1yr old. But we all survivesmile

emsyj Tue 02-Aug-16 15:05:24

I have a 6yo a 3.5 yo and am 20 weeks with DC3. DD1 and DD2 are very close. This next one is a boy. I am very worried he will be left out and feel like a third wheel, but I am 37 next week and I wont have the energy for number 4 so I think we're stuck with it if it happens! We didnt plan to have 3 and thought DD2 would be the last, but got broody after all....
I think 3 close in age would be lovely. For a whole host of reasons we couldnt manage that arrangement, but on the whole I would have liked less of a gap I think.

Queazy Tue 02-Aug-16 15:19:46

Your responses are hugely helpful, and tbh not what I'd expected. I thought people would tell me to wait and not to rush things! It sounds like I'd be best to get on with it and have a 2yr age gap again. I'm one of three and the middle child, and my two siblings are far closer than I am to either of them! I know it's obvious, but I just wanted to share that dynamics shift as they get older. I'm the only girl tho, so perhaps that dynamic was inevitable!

So glad I asked on here - thank you!

thecatsarecrazy Tue 02-Aug-16 16:34:08

I have a 9 and a 7 year old. (boys) that was going to be it but got terribly broody and now expecting number 3. My boys are desperate for a little sister. This surprised me.

CatsAndCocktails Tue 02-Aug-16 16:38:04

I'm same age and have a 17 month gap between DC1 and DC2. We are hoping for a third child with a similar gap so even the oldest and youngest will only be three years apart.

LBNM19 Tue 02-Aug-16 23:25:58

I'm pregnant with number 3. My first is 4 my 2nd will be 2 in October and I'm due early January.

My oldest will be almost 5 and my youngest 2 years 2 months. I think there good ages gaps.

Queazy Wed 03-Aug-16 10:55:07

Do you mind me asking how you decided to go for a 3rd baby? Did you always know you wanted 3?

ermmm Wed 03-Aug-16 11:00:01

Ok other end of spectrum. I'm 37 pregnant with third.

DD will be 14yrs11mths when bubba comes
DS will be 13yrs 10 mths😳😳😳😳😁

DollyBarton Wed 03-Aug-16 11:17:45

Definitely knew I wanted a third. Even when dc2 was a newborn I felt someone was missing. Not sure about a fourth but I suspect we'll want one in a few years. I do feel sad that a fourth would have s bigger age gap than my first 3 in 3 yrs but I just can't do it again. I get so so sick and have been in such a high since dc3 arrived with excitement at being well and feeling like myself again.

I don't know how you decide if you are unsure. It's no joke going from 2-3 kids but maybe that's because mine are all tots who are a danger to themselves pretty much 24/7.

LBNM19 Wed 03-Aug-16 11:29:56

Yes I always knew I wanted 3. I knew when I had my 2nd I would have another, but I feel like this will be my last one. Just found out last week it's another boy so I've got 3 boys.

Afreshstartplease Wed 03-Aug-16 11:33:32

Mine are 8, 7 and 3

Alot of the time they play lovely together

We are expecting DC4 in 11 weeks. DC3 will be 3.6 when baby is due and is REALLY excited

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now