Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

palpitations, SVT, any experiences?

(5 Posts)
noitsachicken Sun 31-Jul-16 12:33:37

Hi,
I am 20+4 with baby no3.
I have sufferedfrom palpitations in both previous pregnancies but it was never a problem and they went by 12/14 weeks.
This time they have been much worse and not going away, I have also been suffering from breathlessness, dizziness, and exhaustion almost to the point of collapse.
I have been seen by GP, had a few ecgs and a 24hr ecg, blood tests showed nothing and ecg showed a few ectopic beats but no cause for concern.
This week I have really been suffering and generally feeling unwell, went into hospital last night, checked out all ok and after a rest I felt better, but it keeps happening.
I am to have another 24hr ecg and the doctor mentioned SVT as a possibility?
I am shattered again today after just being up and about for an hour or so.
I can't last another 4 months or so like this!
Any experiences, suggestions, advice please?
Thanks!

LuckyinOctober Sun 31-Jul-16 17:38:18

Hi, I've previously been assessed as having SVT when not pregnant and have noticed a few rapid and skipped heart beat episodes since being pregnant (I'm about 14 weeks now). The advice I got from my cardiologist was that the SVT was safe and not something to worry about from the point of risk, as the worst risk would be blacking out if it happened while running too fast or engaging in anything else that would get my heart rate going too fast. That can be prevented by resting if my heart starts racing which is why I don't see it as a worrying risk. Squatting and pretending to poo is a good trick to slow things down. I find the preventative stuff most useful - manage any stress and anxiety, keep well hydrated, minimise caffeine, don't over-do exercise, eat regularly, don't get up too quickly. I do still get the occasional episode but I find it's manageable now I understand it's just SVT and that it's a benign condition.

noitsachicken Sun 31-Jul-16 21:33:21

Thanks for replying.
I just feel so exhausted?
I can't easily rest as have two small children and keep having to get my mum to help.
I'll try the squatting thing, other than that I am not really stressed, I could drink more water, I avoid caffeine and have no time for exercise!

LuckyinOctober Mon 01-Aug-16 19:35:03

From that I'm wondering if it's the challenges of managing pregnancy with two small children already that's tiring, and the SVT is just your body's way of saying you need to have some help to let you take it easier - it's good you have your mum to help, is there anyone else you can lean on?

monkeywithacowface Mon 01-Aug-16 19:45:10

I get SVT a lot (although not pregnancy related) agree the best way to stop it is to exhale fully, whilst bearing down like your pushing on the loo, try and and hold it like 5 to 10 seconds before breathing in again. You may have to do it several times to get it to work. I also find lying down with my legs elevated whilst i'm doing it helps too.

Often mine just come out of nowhere but I find the most common trigger bending or squatting down and getting up to quickly. If you can learn the technnique to stop them quickly than that will help with the tiredness. I remember when mine used to last a long time how exhausting it used to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now