Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice on breaking the news

(4 Posts)
Barefootcontessa84 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:37:01

Hi all

I need a bit of advice about sharing the news. Ideally I would like to leave it as long as possible, particularly in terms of telling my mother (totally different topic) but here's the situation:

My dad, stepmother and (grown up) step siblings live abroad. Me and DH (plus a sister) are off to stay with them next week. I get on brilliantly with Dad and stepmum, and I would be nice to tell them in person. However I'll only be 7 weeks, and would prefer not to share with siblings yet (sister coming with us lives with my mum, so news will travel).

These holidays tend to be boozy occasions, and I absolutely won't get away with it. We will arrive and meet them at the restaurant for said boozy arrival dinner with little opportunity to have a quiet word beforehand - I don't want to announce at the table with everyone there. Nor do I feel comfortable doing it over the phone in advance of the trip.

Any thoughts how to deal with this? Is it unfair to leave others out from knowing so early?

Whatsername17 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:42:37

You need to do what is best for you. I'd be tempted to tell your sister but tell her not to tell your mum as it is very early days and you do not want her to worry. Then you can tell your dad and step mum quietly at dinner.

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:58:33

Thanks, whatsername - you're probably right that quietly doing it at dinner (or letting them twig) might be the best. Unfortunately my sister wouldn't keep it in, as hard as she might try...!

April241 Sat 30-Jul-16 16:54:05

It depends on you really and how you feel about people knowing. We found out at 3+4 so really really early. I told my mum and sister that night and my dad the next day, my OH told his mum and dad the next day also.

About a week later I told about 3 of my very close friends as I'd had to tell my boss due to my job and told my two Grans about 8 weeks.

I knew that if something were to happen the people I'd told were people I'd want to tell anyway and it would have been easier for me to say "somethings happened" rather than say I was pregnant but something had happened.

Everyone else we told at 13 weeks once we'd had our scan.

Congratulations! It's a really personal choice so do what's best for you and your OH, everyone's different smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now