Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fundal height / 31 weeks

(8 Posts)
rosegoldie Tue 26-Jul-16 14:50:15

Hi all

Looking for some advice - had my. 31 wk midwife appointment today and I was measuring 29cm.

At my 28 wk appointment I measured 28cm.
So it's only increased by 1cm in 3 weeks.

I was a little concerned but the midwife said it's probably the way the baby is positioned affecting the measurement...and that they'll measure me again in 3 weeks.

Has anyone else experienced similar? I know fundal height isn't an exact science I was just a bit anxious that the increase wasn't that much!

Thanks

Dixiechick17 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:11:54

Fundal height can vary so much and it depends on who measures you. I had both consultant appointments and midwife appointments and the consultant and midwife never had the same measurements. When I pointed it out to the consultant he got grumpy and did a growth scan to prove he was more accurate, I only said it as a passing comment. You haven't stayed the same or are measuring which is a good thing. My friend measured small and her DD was over 8lbs.

Huesofblue Tue 26-Jul-16 21:39:15

I've measured consistently at least 4 weeks behind all the way through this pregnancy. Had a growth scan last week at 32 weeks and baby is only a week behind. I have a section booked next Thursday at 34+2 for various complications but there's no concern over the size, it's just me who's measuring small with this pregnancy. Fundal height can be way out.

rosegoldie Wed 27-Jul-16 06:47:09

Yes it was 2 different midwives who measured me. However yesterday the first time they measured me it was 28cm...the same as 3 weeks ago!

At which point I became concerned and said this was same measurement I had at 28 weeks! She then remeasured and said 'oh it's more like 29cm'...

My midwives haven't been particularly good or reassuring and I feel like I'm fobbed off a lot or whisked in and out as soon as possible! Which hasn't helped my anxiety!

I shall see how I'm measuring in 3 weeks and go from there.

Thanks for your replies.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Wed 27-Jul-16 07:04:07

Yes I'd second that it is very variable.
I had a growth scan and some monitoring last week as I had gone from 32cm at 32 weeks to 31cm at 34 confused.
Then another midwife at the hospital measured me 32.5cm.
The sonographer was lovely and said because it's done with a tape measure it's really a very arbitrary measurement - it depends on how the baby is lying etc.
I would just keep a close eye on baby's movements and make sure you get enough rest and if you are at all worried contact them before your next appointment.
Incidentally , 34+3 baby measured at 35+6 normal fluid etc. Happened to me last time as well so fungal height is not a great indicator of what is going on inside!

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Wed 27-Jul-16 07:04:33

fundal

abbinobb Wed 27-Jul-16 08:44:00

Me, i was always measuring small with DS.
The midwife that i had kept sending me for growth scans, they were always fine and the consultant said he doesnt see why she keeps booking me for growth scans when he's always measured fine from scans.
He was 6lb 2oz, the midwife i had during pregnancy was working at the hospital when he was born and was shocked at how big he was because she was convinced he was going to be tiny.

abbinobb Wed 27-Jul-16 08:44:24

Not that 6lb 2 is big but it's not small either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now