Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Movements

(12 Posts)
Dlah Sat 23-Jul-16 09:15:33

What would people class as reduced movements? Is it common to feel less in this heat?

Pregnant with first 26+3 today, I started feeling her a bit later due to anterior placenta but from 23 weeks onwards I've had movements most of day, so I've not really counted or looked at times, just naturally felt a presence there.

Yesterday I got to around 9pm and suddenly clicked I hadn't felt much, so lay on side and drank a cold drink and got 4/5 little kicks to side so didn't worry, obviously gone to sleep and woken up and normally just laying in bed in morning I'll feel something but I'm not

Wondering what to do

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Sat 23-Jul-16 09:23:24

It could quite easily be that LO has changed position and you aren't feeling them as much, but any change from the norm (i.e. reduced or increased) should be checked out, so I would call the labour ward and speak to a midwife.

shabbychic1 Sat 23-Jul-16 09:24:12

Of you're at all worried phone your midwife triage. I did this and all was ok but they said they would always rather it was a false alarm and you did call. It puts your mind at rest too.

shabbychic1 Sat 23-Jul-16 09:24:49

Hope all is ok! flowers

RaeSkywalker Sat 23-Jul-16 09:28:56

Call in and ask. I went in 2 nights ago after a fall and reduced movement. Baby was fine, but it's better to check!

ThinkPinkStink Sat 23-Jul-16 09:33:22

I worry about this all the time. I also have an anterior placenta so I didn't feel movements until quitelate. Some days (if I'm quiet and quite still) I feel her loads really close to the surface, others I feel her very little (just when I'm lying down or sitting still late in the eve and early in the morning and quite deep inside, more of a rumbling than kicks).

The advice I've read is to drink a pint of iced water and lie on your left hand side with a cushion under bump and count movements - there should be 15 + movements in two hours.

That having been said, I wholly agree with pps - call your midwife, if you are concerned...

I went to the day centre at the antenatal clinic at 23 weeks because I had that same realisation that it was the morning and I'd usually feel her rumbling around and she was really still. Everything was fine, but hearing her heartbeat was so reassuring and the midwives were utterly welcoming and encouraged me to go back if I was ever concerned.

Farfromtheusual Sat 23-Jul-16 09:35:57

Maybe keep trying, get up and have a walk around the house, drink another ice cold drink and maybe try having something small to eat - that usually works for me. If there's nothing and you're still worried then ring the maternity unit, im sure everything will be fine but better to be safe than sorry.

I went in to the maternity unit at about 24 weeks as I hadn't felt baby move all day which was very unusual, as is usually very very active. They did a scan and the kid made me look like a liar wriggling about loads but I just couldn't feel it due to the position it was in. I felt so stupid but the midwives were so lovely after and said to always ring and come in of you're worried.

Dlah Sat 23-Jul-16 11:25:15

Thanks ladies

All is ok!

I rang community midwife office who put me through to MAU

She told me to pop down and found heartbeat straight away - said she's lying across right behind placenta so probably the cause . . Still hadn't felt anything on leaving . . Until my other half went over a speed bump on way home and she kicked lol

Maybe next time I'll just do that first and go for a drive over bumps! X

shabbychic1 Sat 23-Jul-16 15:57:40

Fab news! Yay! flowers

LillianFullStop Sat 23-Jul-16 16:12:27

Good news!

I think my LO falls asleep when it is too hot too - was out on a lunchbreak and she was a bit quiet (mind you so was I with the sun and heat!) but when I was settled back in the office air conditioning off she went with her wiggling again!

midcenturymodern Sat 23-Jul-16 16:27:33

link to count the kicks

Did you have continuous monitoring or just a doppler? A heartbeat alone doesn't tell you conclusively that everything is fine. Get checked out again if you are at all worried. I left my baby for nearly a whole day after I noticed but luckily he was ok after a crash c-sec and a lot of medical care. Other people aren't so lucky. Something I didn't know before ds became ill in utero is that a baby who has died or is critically ill still floats in the amniotic fluid and mimics normal movement.

Dlah Sat 23-Jul-16 16:58:59

Thanks ladies,

Tbf the midwife did say if I continually felt less to recon tact my normal midwife, but it did make sense that I've been feeling her a lot on my bladder and now she's laying across so is blocked by the placenta.

I've felt more movements since this morning so I'll just be cautious and see how she goes smile X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now