Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Four/five weeks pregnant and feeling numb

(6 Posts)
S0phieD Thu 21-Jul-16 23:06:08

I found out that I'm pregnant on Monday and initially felt overwhelmed but so happy. My partner has reacted amazingly to the news and is being so supportive, but I feel so scared. I'm not scared of becoming a mum, I'm just scared i won't get to be. I've had so many emotions over the last few days but now I just feel numb. I've not been able to get a doctors appointment as they say there is no need (I've done six home tests and all positive), so I also feel like I'm almost lying about it. I've had to tell my employer because of the work I do and we felt we wanted to include close family to feel supported, but the bigger it gets, the less I can feel about it. I'm hoping its just today, it's been a sleepless and consuming few days but I just don't know how to let go of this worry and fear. I also have a history of anxiety and depression and am scared I'm not going to cope with the hormonal changes. Any advice is appreciated smile

AtAt Fri 22-Jul-16 05:39:19

First of all, congratulations!! I was the same with this pregnancy, it didn't seem real until I had my scan, and could actually see the baby. I found once I started seeing and feeling the physical side, it sunk in a bit more.
I would advise you to mention to your midwife about your anxiety and depression, so they can keep a closer eye on you. I suffer from anxiety, and it did help having their extra support before and after the birth.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Fri 22-Jul-16 05:58:28

Congratulations

It's still very early days and it's a lot to take in, I'm 10 weeks pregnant and it still doesn't seem real. I remember with my ds that I pretty much forgot I was pregnant until I started getting a bump and could feel him move.

I would make an appointment with the gp to discuss your anxiety so that you are on their radar and can get some support

LynseyH5 Fri 22-Jul-16 22:41:39

I really feel for you, it's hard when your emotions are all over the place.
Near on all websites about pregnancy will say how it's totally normal to feel overwhelmed with doubts and/or fears etc. It's true, every mum to be has a wobble at some point, whether it's a major melt down or just a few tears.

However, as you said you suffer with anxiety and depression, tell your midwife. They will support you and will not judge. I also have history of depression and have therefore been referred onto the mental health team especially for pregnant ladies. Once I knew what they do, I found it comforting to know they will be there, they are there to help, listen and support. Remember, like me, you said you have a history of it....it doesn't mean it will flare up and leave you a mess but extra support is always better than none.

Take care and try to relax if at all possible flowers xx

AudreyBradshaw Fri 22-Jul-16 23:09:43

I'm 22+2 and it's only just started to hit, and I can see/feel kicking! It's not unusual, I get bad anxiety and spent the first 13 weeks (until my scan) completely disbelieving I was actually pregnant. And even then, it was only at the 20 week scan that I accepted it (for want of a better word!) It seemed, I don't know, safer somehow to not believe it was real. This was a planned for, anticipated, much wanted baby, and I genuinely just ignored it, we didnt tell a soul till after the scan, including my parents who we see multiple times a week.

To echo pp, take care, try to relax and hopefully you will start to enjoy it as it becomes more "real"

S0phieD Sat 23-Jul-16 09:55:07

Thank you so much for all your comments. It is so reassuring to know there is so much support out there. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one. I have to just keep reminding myself that what ever happens to this pregnancy, this is now the start of a new chapter of our lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now