Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What supplements should I take after 12 weeks?

(10 Posts)
AspiringMother Thu 21-Jul-16 16:38:09

Hi guys!

So I'm a FT mummy (12 weeks + 5d) and I've recently refrained from taking my folic acid and vitamin D tablets (by Boots).

I've read into everything, and found that it is recommended you do not take folic acid supplements after 12 weeks. I've also read some horror stories that the baby can get asthma if you take it later on in your pregnancy!

I tried Pregnacare before the Boots tablets and found that they gave me an awfully upset tummy. TMI - but one day I went 5 times in a day! It was awful. The midwife did mention Pregnacare after 12 weeks - but again, do us mummies need the folic acid after that period?!

Ahhh, please help! I feel bad for not taking anything, but I don't want to do the wrong thing! Thank you!

IamChipmunk Thu 21-Jul-16 19:12:13

I have taken pregnacare all the way through both my pregnancies and for 12 months after when bf.
currently 39 weeks with dc2. Ds1 has no health issues.

Midwife has never reccomended that i should stop taking it at 12 weeks.

dementedpixie Thu 21-Jul-16 19:14:33

I have never heard of bad things happening if you take it longer than 12 weeks. You can stop at 12 weeks but don't have to. I'd go back to taking the boots tablets as they have vitamin d which is important

LuckyinOctober Thu 21-Jul-16 19:19:29

I'm 12+3 so about the same stage as you and taking the seven seas pregnancy ones which I think are designed to take all the way through. They don't upset my stomach but I always take them with a decent sized meal and water. What have you read goes wrong if you keep taking them after 12 weeks? Not aware of any risks either.

Vap0 Thu 21-Jul-16 19:23:58

Hi

You should still be taking vitamin D and calcium which helps the vitamin D to be absorbed as it's difficult to get enough vitamin D through diet alone. Folic acid - my mw told me to stop taking it at 14 weeks but then saw a consultant who said I should continue to take it for the duration of my pregnancy so it sounds like it depends on who you speak with. I decided to listen to the consultant. My thoughts are that it can't do me any harm taking it, if it's needed then it's in my system, if not then you just wee any excess out. I never took the multi vitamins as didn't like taking so many different vitamins and minerals all at once without knowing the benefit of each individual one.

Trulyamnearanear Thu 21-Jul-16 21:33:38

Saw my mw today at 12+5 and she said keep taking folic acid, vitamin d and the rest. High bmi here so I take 5mg a day.

AspiringMother Sat 23-Jul-16 09:28:30

Thanks all!

The only thing that slightly worries me is the fact that these Boots ones I'm currently using have twice as much folic acid in as the Pregnacare!

Can anyone recommend some good brands apart from Pregnacare? My midwife said I might be more suitable on it at this stage, but I really don't want to relive the experience if I'm not. shock

AspiringMother Sat 23-Jul-16 09:29:13

Also going to start drinking milk!

dementedpixie Sat 23-Jul-16 09:43:03

Could you find some that are just vitamin d rather than with folic acid?

stealthbanana Sat 23-Jul-16 09:48:55

I take the Zita West ones where there's a different multi vit per trimester. I'm on the second tri ones and they do still have folic acid in (in folate form, which I believe is easier to absorb). They seem v good. I also take an extra vit d supplement as well as a separate fish oil/dhea. Plus I make sure I get decent amounts of natural calcium.

Mostly you'll get what you need through food but as others have said you'll wee out what you don't need from the multi vits - so at worst it's a waste of money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now