Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring big - growth scan

(13 Posts)
fruityb Wed 20-Jul-16 17:40:41

I'm measuring 38 at 34+3. The midwife wants me to go for a growth scan. All fine but just wondered if anyone else had had this and whether you gave birth to a hippo or whether there were other reasons for it? It's my first and I'm really struggling with the heat, the weight of the bump and my aching hips. I just don't want to add babyzilla to my list lol.

Thanks if anyone can help smile I think I preferred the second trimester when I felt less like a sweaty mess!

Jenjen85 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:38:40

I was measuring 36weeks at 31weeks had a growth scan and baby was normal size for 31weeks but was transverse and normal fluid levels. Got another scan at 36 weeks (2wks time) to see if baby has turned/growth. To be honest i think theres quite a few factors that can contribute to measuring bigger i wouldn't worry too much

fruityb Wed 20-Jul-16 19:42:47

Thank you - I have found it odd it would just grow that much in that time! I'm quite excited to see another scan though, so there is that benefit.

Jenjen85 Wed 20-Jul-16 20:23:26

Yeah i was shocked at the big growth spurt id had but yes your right it is nice to see baby again altho pictures might not be clear due to baby being squashed in there now. We did get a nice picture at our scan though

WordGetsAround Wed 20-Jul-16 20:30:17

I have never heard of a growth scan being correct. All the people I know who were told they were having large babies had babies within the normal range - and one had one that was a little on the small side. In some ways it doesn't matter, but my friend was induced early due to size of baby and she had hideous birth. And the baby was 7 pounds!

Jenjen85 Thu 21-Jul-16 15:40:01

Iv just seen my midwife for 34wk appointment and im now measuring 42weeks shock hoping baby isn't a monster ha ha

fruityb Thu 21-Jul-16 19:16:26

Bloody hell! I'm just assuming it means baby is long rather than fat. Though lots of people today told me that bigger babies are far easier to deliver so I'm holding on to that!

Luciferbox Thu 21-Jul-16 19:20:56

I was told both mine were big. Both went 12 days over due

DS1 was 7lbs3
DS2 was 9lbs15

So they got it right with DS2 but his birth was much easier to be fair.

JoandMax Thu 21-Jul-16 19:24:40

I measured ahead with both mine, DS1 about 5 weeks ahead and DS2 8 week ahead. Growth scans showed them as big and also lots of fluid with DS2. Both born at 38.5 weeks and 9lbs 3oz and 10lbs 15oz so accurate for me!!

WiIdfire Thu 21-Jul-16 19:25:33

I measured 37 at 34 so went for a growth scan. Measured 7lb4 at 36 weeks, so predicted larger baby (~9lbs) but no need to do anything.
He arrived at 42 weeks weighing 11lb2.

On the upside, it was a NVD with a little ventouse assistance and tiny graze only, so no big problems. Main issue was he was too big for the clothes I had taken for him.

Jenjen85 Thu 21-Jul-16 19:34:19

At my last scan at 31wks baby was measuring normal weight but legs were on 90th centile. Im praying that he has long legs and wont be a 10lber

fruityb Mon 25-Jul-16 14:44:09

Had scan, hospital and midwife there not concerned. Described as a good size as opposed to big and they're not considering inducing or anything. Phew!

Jenjen85 Mon 25-Jul-16 15:47:37

Glad everything was ok at the scan. My baby is still transverse so got another scan next tuesday to see if they are still transverse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now