Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough vaccine

(57 Posts)
Dlah Tue 19-Jul-16 09:48:26

I know there's a lot of debate around this, but I'd like to know what choice people made and why you personally made it . .

TIA

TwirlyHoos Tue 19-Jul-16 10:04:16

I had it in both pregnancies because it provides immunity to babies from something potentially deadly prior to them bein immunised themselves. It's not a live vaccine so any "side effects" people suffer are purely coincidental. I don't see any downside to it.

CmereTilliTellYa Tue 19-Jul-16 10:04:59

I had it. All fine. I wouldn't take the risk of not having it personally.

Lj8893 Tue 19-Jul-16 10:07:53

Personally and professionally I would recommend it. Whooping cough can be, and has been, deadly to babies.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 19-Jul-16 10:11:36

I had the vaccine last time I was pregnant, and will definitely be getting it again this time. Not so much for myself, but for the sake of my baby.
My grandma's baby brother died from whooping cough a few weeks after he was born back when a vaccine didn't exist sad not worth running that risk now we have a vaccine IMO

MetalMidget Tue 19-Jul-16 10:14:44

I had it. My brother contracted whooping cough as a baby in the late 70s due to not being vaccinated - he survived, but it was apparently a horrible, horrible time.

Onionringo Tue 19-Jul-16 10:19:49

I had it both times. No side effects as far as I can tell, apart from a sore arm.

Annarose2014 Tue 19-Jul-16 10:19:49

I got it yesterday. Barely noticed tbh.

I got it cos apparently (according to my GP) a 2 week old baby died of whooping cough in Dublin last year. I won't risk it - I'd never forgive myself.

Callmecordelia Tue 19-Jul-16 10:22:43

I had it, no issues after, and to me there was no debate. Whooping cough is an awful disease and babies die if it.

FourForYouGlenCoco Tue 19-Jul-16 11:07:55

I was late having mine as I moved house right when I would have had it and forgot about it in the craziness. As soon as I remembered, I booked in and got it done the same day. Absolutely non-negotiable IMO. You're protecting your baby against a potentially fatal disease that they would otherwise be completely vulnerable to. No brainer. The jab stung like a bugger and was sore for a good few days. I gave no fucks, because I'd rather have that and have my baby here, healthy and as protected as I can make him.
I am generally very relaxed about different parenting choices, but I have no time whatsoever for anti-vaxxers.

Newmrs22 Tue 19-Jul-16 11:12:20

I had mine because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if baby got whooping cough. I saw a YouTube video of a baby in intensive care with whooping cough and it was horrendous. Slightly sore arm the day after. Didn't hurt at all at the time of injection.

ChatterNatterer Tue 19-Jul-16 11:21:29

I had mine last week.

I have a responsibility to my child to ensure I do everything I can to protect them from preventable problems where I can.

frikadela01 Tue 19-Jul-16 11:21:45

I didn't think twice about it. Didn't even feel the needle going in and had no sore arm or anything.
I can't think of a reason not to have it (aside from medical issues that would make it unsafe) we are lucky to live in a time when we can vaccinated against diseases that once killed many people.

Highlove Tue 19-Jul-16 11:22:03

No debate whatsoever - had it last time and in this pregnancy. Mildly sore arm for a day or two, which as a trade-off for not putting my newborn's life at risk seems like a good one.

LillianFullStop Tue 19-Jul-16 11:54:36

I had it - no side effects apart from a sore arm and no change to baby's movements at all.

I wouldn't risk not having it as it could be life threatening to a new born.

SmallBee Tue 19-Jul-16 12:44:24

I had mine, no side effects and barely noticed it. I can't imagine why you'd risk your child catching it considering the hell your family would go through.
But then I can't understand anti vaxxers anymore than I could understand people who think the earth is flat so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Karmin Tue 19-Jul-16 12:48:03

I had mine done, arm was sore but no other issues. As far as I was concerned it was worth it to minimise the risk to baby when he/she is born.

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 12:48:44

I had it whilst pregnant with my twins a few months before they arrived, absolutely no issues having it and would not consider not having it. Not a live vaccine and the benefits largely outweigh the risks, I would never have forgiven myself if something was to happen because I didn't have it.

orangebird69 Tue 19-Jul-16 12:49:14

I had it to pass the immunity onto my baby until he had his own immunisations. Bit of a no brainer really, considering whopping cough cases are on the rise.

SquedgieBeckenheim Tue 19-Jul-16 12:58:05

It's a no-brainer in my opinion. Newborns are at incredibly high risk of whooping cough, and in many cases it is fatal for them. Therefore I had it as soon as i could last time, and will do the same this time.

karmapolice97 Tue 19-Jul-16 12:59:20

Doesn't seem to be much debate here really does there? It wasn't offered/talked about when I had my first but for all the reasons above I actually paid to have it with my second.

Always tell friends to have it in right arm as otherwise you won't be able to sleep on your recommended left side. It's not like a flu jab, much sorer to lie on.

smellsofelderberries Tue 19-Jul-16 13:00:07

Only 23 weeks with my first but I will definitely be getting it (and am also requesting DH, my Mum and my sister get boosters also, as they will be around little one lots before she can have her jabs, as an added measure). We will be travelling when little one is 6 weeks old and want her as protected as possible.

LuckySantangelo1 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:00:12

I was hospitalised as a baby with whooping cough. This was in the 80's when there was lots of negative publicity about the vaccine. So I had the vaccine last year when I was pregnant. It's what's known as a no brainier grin

Whitelisbon Tue 19-Jul-16 13:01:53

A friends dd almost died at 2 weeks old due to whooping cough. She's 3 now, and a perfectly healthy little girl, but it could so easily have been different. I had the jab in both of my recent pregnancies - as far as I'm concerned it's a no brainer.

user1463652193 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:02:22

I had mine yesterday, only side effect is that my arm feels like I've been punched hard in the arm, better today.
Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now