Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So, you're pregnant with your first baby, you've pretty much got all the essentials, what would you like people to buy for you?

(43 Posts)
KittensWithWeapons Mon 18-Jul-16 23:25:06

My sister is pregnant with her first baby, who's due to put in an appearance over the coming weeks. We're all really excited, and I so want to buy stuff for them. But without over stepping any boundaries. I've bought a couple of wee babygros, but I know they will be swamped with baby clothes from lovely relatives and friends.

I was going to make up a hamper of things like lansinoh, breast pads, water spray for using in the boiling hot hospital etc, but she's well stocked on all of that.

Mum has bought them a travel cot for when they come to visit.

So, when you were pregnant, what would you have liked, gift wise?

NewlyNamedMe Mon 18-Jul-16 23:29:39

Best present I ever had. My brother got me:
m.johnlewis.com/red-castle-cocoonababy-nest-and-two-fitted-sheets-white/p/2827248?sku=236162780&kpid=236162780&s_kenid=f6086988-48a7-47cd-825f-c7e35a8efa6e&s_kwcid=403x2963983&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

queenofthepirates Mon 18-Jul-16 23:29:59

You could buy her some baby proofing bits for her home. It's the kind of thing you don't need now but in 8 months, you need it NOW! and then you remember your kind sister has got you everything already!

Alternatively, a battery charger and a hefalump of rechargable batteries. Because every toy they have in the next few years takes a hefty amount of power.

Hand cream is nice too-you wash your hands a lot with a new born.

TheRealAdaLovelace Mon 18-Jul-16 23:33:29

a vacuum mug with a lid
Some nice toiletries
Yes to hand cream

NapQueen Mon 18-Jul-16 23:35:11

A gro swaddle
A baby sleeping bag
A box set

KittensWithWeapons Mon 18-Jul-16 23:38:40

Oh, brilliant ideas, thank you. I've already given her an insulated cup so she can have a hot cup of tea on hand when she's BFing, and a load of boxsets to watch.

Battery charger and hand cream are great suggestions. As is the cooconababy. Thank you!

Am also bearing in mind the baby proofing suggestion. Great idea, sis and her husband will get loads of tiny newborn stuff from lovely kind relatives, but little for further down the line.

minipie Mon 18-Jul-16 23:39:29

What's your budget?

Sleepyhead (like the cocoonababy linked above, but not tilted and lasts longer)

Merino sleeping bags (cost a lot but last to age 2)

Smaller useful items they may not have: nail clippers, a snoozeshade for the buggy, a "buggy buddy" (a caddy thing that goes on the buggy and holds a drink/phone etc), baby mirror for car. None of these are essentials but I've found them all quite useful.

Pretty muslins - I only ever felt able to justify buying the white ones but secretly coveted the coloured ones.

Vap0 Mon 18-Jul-16 23:40:51

This is my best gift, just hope it works for our little one when she arrives

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SweetDreamers-ewan-dream-sheep%C2%AE-purple/dp/B0040JSN7Y

KittensWithWeapons Mon 18-Jul-16 23:41:46

Went to buy a gro bag the other day, but sister told me that they were instructed not to use gro bags or swaddle for the first three months, at her antenatal class. Not sure why!

Primaryteach87 Mon 18-Jul-16 23:43:44

Small present-wise, someone got baby a swimming costume and swim nappies (I think they were 3-6months). I hadn't thought to buy it for myself and was great to take him.

You could also buy classes for something like waterbabies or baby sensory. It would make lovely memories.

A jumperoo is also, always a winner (but couldn't be used straightaway)

KittensWithWeapons Mon 18-Jul-16 23:49:41

minipie, budget is about €500. Those are all brilliant suggestions, thank you! Merino sleeping bags are a great idea. Also the buggy buddy grin. She will be doing a lot of walking so somewhere to stash a coffee or bottle of water will be very useful.

Vap, I actually had a Ewan in my hand yesterday and put him back! Would you recommend him?

Rainbowqueeen Mon 18-Jul-16 23:52:02

Books to read to baby
Hand cream definitely
A cleaner for a month

babynugget Mon 18-Jul-16 23:52:21

I second the sleep sheep suggestion. We got the Cloud B one and it was a great help when DD was newborn. Was getting ready to put it away when she was 18 months but we are using it again to help her transition to self settling in her toddler bed. Glad we didn't stuff it away in the loft! The white noise machine comes out of it completely and she now cuddles with the sheep while the machine is still being used to help her get to sleep.

KittensWithWeapons Mon 18-Jul-16 23:53:57

Thanks, primary. Brilliant idea!

orangebird69 Mon 18-Jul-16 23:54:13

Gin. You're welcome.

LifeIsGoodish Mon 18-Jul-16 23:54:44

A sheepskin buggy liner. Makes a huge difference - buggy is cosier in winter, and totally unsweaty in summer.

KittensWithWeapons Mon 18-Jul-16 23:57:50

Rainbow, we could actually organise a cleaner for the first month. Would it seem intrusive though?

orange, decent gin would be very well received grin.

Life, thank you. Looking up sheepskin buggy liners as we speak.

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 00:03:16

Yes I'd agree with sleep sheep. We still use the removeable sound box for DD2 who is now a toddler. Really does seem to help her self settle

Hmm any other ideas...

Baby bjorn bouncer chair

A good sling - I like the beco gemini, the Ergo is popular too (not if your sis is small though)

A mobile for above the changing mat

Forehead thermometer - much easier on a baby than other kinds

Some of these things eg bjorn chair are readily available second hand in good nick (I know that may not seem very presenty but means you could get more for the money!)

Books would be lovely - the Thats Not My books are good first baby books, also Eric Carle (Hungry Caterpillar etc).

minipie Tue 19-Jul-16 00:04:33

If you want to get a liner check it fits the buggy she is having

I got given one and it didn't fit well but felt I couldn't buy the one that did fit as I already had one...

Blizy Tue 19-Jul-16 00:06:33

A sleepyhead and Ewan the dream sheep, both saved my sanity and helped my ds sleep!

OlennasWimple Tue 19-Jul-16 00:07:39

Yy to hand cream (and naice soap)

Lots of muslins (pre-washed!)

A cleaner would be awesome! But maybe a voucher so she can use it when she wants

KittensWithWeapons Tue 19-Jul-16 00:26:24

Thanks so much for all the brilliant suggestions. Olennas, you say pre washed muslins. Should I pre wash them? With non bio washing powder?

Propertyquandry Tue 19-Jul-16 00:27:04

Kittens, I think that's only if baby is under 7lbs. The actual grobag ones can be used from birth if baby is 7lbs+ This is confirmed by the FSID who endorse grobag but not other sleeping bags.

KittensWithWeapons Tue 19-Jul-16 00:28:33

mini, it's an Uppababy Vista.

KittensWithWeapons Tue 19-Jul-16 00:30:45

Thanks Property, that's good to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now